Car Blacks out and engine almost dies - Whats going on?

Trippen Out

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
If it isnt one thing its another. right after i finished the imrc replacements. i started noticing a weird issue. i was driving and made a right hand turn. i started to accelerate when all of the sudden the car goes black. all the power drops the engine stumbles 2 times (almost stalled completely) and then it all kicks right back in and keeps going. it was fine for a few days then again after making another right hand turn and started to accel. it stumbled again. this time the power flashed for a second the engine stumbled once and then all returned to normal. at this point i was starting to think it might have something to do with making the turn. then yesterday driving to school. i started to accel at a faster then normal rate (passing grandma to get on the highway) and the car blacked out again and stumbled and then back to normal. so im starting to think it has something to do with the acceleration. how ever i really have no clue where to start to trouble shoot this problem. so any ideas would be welcomed.

while replacing the irmc i replaced the plugs. put on new injector seal kits. had pretty much the entire harness taken apart. removed the wiper motor and assembly. pretty much every step needed according to the ford shop book. including removing vaccume hoses and everything. so there is a lot of stuff that was disturbed. so im hoping you guys can help me eliminate a lot of the things that probably wouldnt affect this. my guess is it is something electrical since the entire car goes black. but i really have no clue. Thanks in adavance for the advice.

check the main engine harness near the left hood strut, the one thats about 2 inch by 2 inch with a 10 mm bolt in the center of it, try tightening that bolt.

check the main engine harness near the left hood strut, the one thats about 2 inch by 2 inch with a 10 mm bolt in the center of it, try tightening that bolt.

is that left as in driver side. would that be near where the vacuum hoses and stuff is as well. right by the back of the valve cover ?

My f250 did the same thing and it was the alt

im about to go get a beefy alt upgrade so if thats it. that wont be the problem anympore

Loose intake tube and or stop turning right

that is a good chance. i have yet to replace the throttle body that i got from bad97lsc.

ground strap?

i thought this at first as well. but my grounds are retardedly over grounded :) but ill double check those as well

. what sucks is its so random too i cant even make it do it when i want too

with all the audio wires he has that battery is clean as a whistle, i just saw it the other night.

If your running tons of audio I have my bets on alt. I had 3 12's in my f250 which killed the alt. It did the exact same thing. Finally it got so bad that it did it constantly swapped the alt and all was well.

i agree, after having to give him a jump last week, my bet is the alt is hurting too, just get that high output deal you mentioned and you should be cool.

i agree, after having to give him a jump last week, my bet is the alt is hurting too, just get that high output deal you mentioned and you should be cool.

yea im looking into that this weekend actually.

ive burned out a few of those auto zone alts. never had this symptom tho. i think im gonna just double check everyones suggestions anyway. never hurts to be extra sure.

Mine done the same thing a few weeks ago, I was slowing down after passing a cop doing 55 in a 45 then after he was out of site I picked up seed and it cut out for a split second, came right back on. Glad you posted because I forgot all about it!

Just rechecked the grounds. fixed the intake problem. checked that 10mm bolt on the main engine harness gimmick. it was tight as hell already. so that pretty much leaves the alt. to replace if it keeps happening. i also herd a rumer that you should have your 5 and 6 plug wires running next to each other and mine were laying right on one another. fixed that as well. not sure if thats just myth or not. but who knows. now i dont have to worry about that either. if it keeps happening ill report back. thanks again for all the advice from everyone.

I am so ticked off right now. Got the throttle body switched. Turned on the car and now im pulling the p1537 code again arrrrrg. Im hoping I knocked something loose with the t-body swap

edit
vacuum hose. problem fixed. thanks god

Last edited:
so ive checked the grounds as states and that one bolt is pretty darn tight. yet the symptom still appears to be there. today while stepping on the gas pretty heavy it died out again. it seemed like it did it right at the shift point too. could the cause be connected to the transmission at all ? this time the stereo didn't die out. but the hvac panel reset completely and the engine stalled for a second. then i let off the gas it all kicked back on and i was good to keep rolling down the street.

How is the TPS?

Dom Portwood: Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
:D:D

Dom Portwood: Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
:D:D

love that move...

the tps appears to be working. it was already on the throttle body when i switched it out. and i had this problem with the other throttle body and TPS as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back