cant fill tank

blklscmd

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i went to the gas station to fill my tank and it would only go to 13.5 gallons.Whats wrong and could this have something to do with my low gas mileage?

Only things I can think of:

1. The fuel tank wasn't as empty as you thought - maybe the fuel gauge / message center display is reading inaccurately?

2. Your tank has been crushed.

Fuel tank capacity is approx 18 gallons, although you'd never be able to add that much, unless the tank was bone dry.

well the message center said 14 gal and the analog was at 3/4 of the tank.I was reading up on the vent tube or something.It has a new motorcraft fuel sending unit.

I bet you the sending unit is off. YOu can try to run the tank dry (have a couple of gallon jerry can with you - full-). Let the car "run out" of fuel. But I bet you once you get to empty, (past reserves) you'll have many more miles left before the car runs out of fuel.

if the car parks regularly on an incline (drivewway etc)
it's not uncommon for the fuel gauge to read incorrectly.

I'd
1. disconnect the battery to reset the "learning"
2. run the car out of gas as frogman suggested
3. refill tank.

when my message center says my car is empty it's still holding 2 or more gallons because I have never/rarely pumped more than 16 gallons into the car.

i have let it run out of gas before it still wont go past 3/4 i read something about it not venting right.i mean the pump said 13.5 and the message center and analog gauge were right about where 13 gallons should have been.

Or it was a drug smugglers car and your driving around with a bunch of coke stuffed in the tank :shifty:

I've yet to figure out why my message center gives me such drastically inaccurate MPG figures.

5Star.gif

*tosses the babyfood spoon in the corner*

Members online

No members online now.
Back