Can you stand one more McClaren grill question

pghpete22

LVC Member
Reaction score
O.K., I bought one of the grills on eBay. I knew it was going to come unpainted. I thought I'd paint it flat black and install it. Well, that won't work because it just doesn't look right. Now, I'd like to paint the upper part (that's chromed on my original grill) to match the Silver Frost color my 2000 LS, and keep the middle section black.

The dealer doesn't offer spray paint anymore, just the touchup paint with the little brush. Any ideas where I can get some paint? I should've listened and paid the money to LS Koncepts to get it done right. Oh well, live and learn.

Im about to order the paint but what do I add the flex to? Also do I have to tell them or it comes with flex? Im getting it from paint automotivetouchup

Send the grille to me and I can have it painted for $60 plus shipping back to you.

Thanks for the offer Greyghost. If you were local, I'd bring it over. I think I'm going to give it a shot. The directions seem cover everything.

waht color is the unpainted grill when u got it ? can u get a pic of it?

Pektel, After reading the directions you posted, I went to the PaintScratch.com site to order the paint. I couldn't see where to add the flex additive, so I tried calling them. I left two messages, and when I came home, a message was left on my phone, inquiring as to why I needed the flex. I called them back, and naturally got their recording again. His message to me also said that I would need the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (which is not mentioned in the directions). Can you shed some light about the importance of the flex, and do you have any experience with the Bulldog adhesion Promoter?

Thanks.

Pektel, After reading the directions you posted, I went to the PaintScratch.com site to order the paint. I couldn't see where to add the flex additive, so I tried calling them. I left two messages, and when I came home, a message was left on my phone, inquiring as to why I needed the flex. I called them back, and naturally got their recording again. His message to me also said that I would need the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (which is not mentioned in the directions). Can you shed some light about the importance of the flex, and do you have any experience with the Bulldog adhesion Promoter?

Thanks.

I need to know the same thing I want to order it tonight someone please help

Flex ingredient in paint

I need to know the same thing I want to order it tonight someone please help

When the weather changes, I have some painting to do. Dealing with both a local paint supplier and House of Kolor, I believe that 'flex' is only necessary when painting 'bumpers' that normally have some natural flexibility. The flex keeps the paint from cracking during this normal movement.
KenS from Ben's Place

Thats one of the things ill be painting the chrome on the rear bumper

If you are going to paint it with bug bomb, prep and shoot a practice piece of plastic and check your results in the sun light against the body of the car. On such a small area you might achieve acceptable results, but it is hard to duplicate the depth and clarity of the basecoat clearcoat system that is your original finish.

Note: Before any finishing, i.e. prime and paint, wash the entire grill with soap and water. This eliminates the possibility of any mold release still on the part from the form die when it was made.

Thanks.
Bulldog adhesion promoter helps primer or paint stick to most properly prepped surfaces. It works great on interior textured plastics where sanding is impossible. It is clear when sprayed and can be painted over very quickly.

Sorry guys, those directions weren't written by me. I believe GreyGhost1, aka Ken from lskoncepts, wrote them. He'd be able to answer your questions better than me.

Members online

Back