Can we swap in a Jaguar S-Type R rear sway bar?

Dan Ro

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I would like a thicker rear sway bar. Is it feasible to replace it with the S-Type R bar? I don't know how thick stock is or how thick the R one is.

Why would you need a thicker rear sway bar?

I plan to do various modifications with the front sway bar and want to equal out the rear sway bar. If the front is getting upgraded I should also consider the rear so that it doesn't feel unbalanced. Am I making sense?

Sure? Idk why your even doing anything to the front or rear.. The LS comes stock with awesome handling.. Quik autocrosses and I don't think he has seriously upgraded either of his sway bars..

Yeah the LS has a sport suspension already...tested against bmw.

I plan to do various modifications with the front sway bar and want to equal out the rear sway bar. If the front is getting upgraded I should also consider the rear so that it doesn't feel unbalanced. Am I making sense?

I can see your point and if you think the upgrade is worth it go for it. I would add that the late, great Mark Donohue commented when asked how to make a car handle "make the front end as stiff as possible and the rear as soft as possible."

^
Was that towards Front or Rear wheel drive? Because in a rwd vehicle (imo of course), I wouldn't want a soft rear end because when in a hard turn you would have the tendency to have a large amount on one wheel and almost none on the other.. And that results in tire spin which could lead to a spin out..

Not being an ass, but if you think you need thicker sway bars in the LS, you haven't pushed the car hard enough.

A lot of car enthusiasts will start tossing suspension parts into their cars to make them handle better, when in reality, they don't have the guts to push the car over the edge. A lot of technique goes into handling a car, and most of them lack those skills more than anything.

^
I totally agree..

I've taken corners 10-20 mph faster than a modded Mustang could do.. And I have no fear whatsoever of it spinning out.. And I was accelerating all the way through the corner.. The Mustang went into the corner 10 mph less than me and couldn't accelerated until 3/4 through it.. Just my experiences.. Have you ever spun out?

No spin outs...yet. I will try to keep it that way. A lot of times, i will take the advance trac off and have it in the SST mode when i am apexing corners. The second i feel the car starts to loose grip, i will back off the throttle.

I have actually TRIED getting the car out of control in the rain and couldn't do it with the Advance Trac on. The very second you loose traction, the AT kicks in and cuts engine power. Sometimes it feels like the car just straightens out all by itself. Gotta love Advance Trac.

^
I totally agree..

I've taken corners 10-20 mph faster than a modded Mustang could do.. And I have no fear whatsoever of it spinning out.. And I was accelerating all the way through the corner.. The Mustang went into the corner 10 mph less than me and couldn't accelerated until 3/4 through it.. Just my experiences.. Have you ever spun out?

No, I have never spun out.

I have actually TRIED getting the car out of control in the rain and couldn't do it with the Advance Trac on. The very second you loose traction, the AT kicks in and cuts engine power. Sometimes it feels like the car just straightens out all by itself. Gotta love Advance Trac.

yea, the advancetrac is a bit more elaborate than the standard traction control.

^
Was that towards Front or Rear wheel drive? Because in a rwd vehicle (imo of course), I wouldn't want a soft rear end because when in a hard turn you would have the tendency to have a large amount on one wheel and almost none on the other.. And that results in tire spin which could lead to a spin out..

Actually a soft rear(referring to stiffness of the sway bar) will help keep the weight more evenly distributed on the rear tires. A hard rear swab bar will cause the inner tire to lift thus losing traction sooner. FWD cars do this to try to lessen under-steer.

To the OP, you should find out if the S-Type R swab bar is different, and if so by how much. Lastly, keep in mind that there was some reworking of the suspension between gen1 and gen2 LSs', and the Jag may or may not be capable with either.

I dont see why the s type bar is any different as both suspension setups are identical.

As far as i know the only difference with the s-type r to the standard s-type is the powerplant.

Actually a soft rear(referring to stiffness of the sway bar) will help keep the weight more evenly distributed on the rear tires. A hard rear swab bar will cause the inner tire to lift thus losing traction sooner. FWD cars do this to try to lessen under-steer.

Gottcha.. I would say the LS has more of a medium bar..

Anyways, I would stick with the stockers.. Never let me down before

I dont see why the s type bar is any different as both suspension setups are identical.

As far as i know the only difference with the s-type r to the standard s-type is the powerplant.

but the biggest differences between the cars is the actual body itself, and if there where going to be some parts with differences, it could easily be these, all it would take is for an inch or less in width or wheel base's to matter.

Dan, what do you have in mind for the front bar? Do you have access to the S-Type rear bar to see if it is bigger?

The LS handles good stock, not awesome. I think there is a bit of confusion about suspension tuning, as well as the totally different world between throwing the car around on the road as opposed to a more controlled environment like an autocross. We could definitely benefit from a balanced increase to both swaybars, as the car is just too heavy to stay flat on the springs that are readily available to us.

Its a 4000lb luxury car.

It handles excellent for what it is.

^
Agreed.. Your not going to be able to throw it around like you would throw around a 1500 lb Civic.. I've been in a few 'sports cars', and I can safely say that the LS outperformed them.. I had no fear whatsoever about a spin out or an unwanted drift.. I'm not saying it is the best there is with no room for improvement, but with no mods I would say its good..

The basic suspension parts are largely the same, but the setups aren't identical--the S-Type suspensions are tuned differently than the LS's to achieve different ride and handling characteristics. I believe some of the mounting points and hardware are slightly different (the shock mounts, f'rinstance, are different--not long ago, someone around here was working on adapting the S-Type R shocks to work on an LS); I don't know about the stabilizer bars, but I would guess that the Jag parts are different. The LS itself has more than one stabilizer bar size available--the Sports and non-Sports had different diameter sta-bars, f'rinstance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back