Can this diff make up its mind?

knocturnal

LVC Member
Reaction score
open, close, open, close.. i know its open but i thought it had clutches in it or at least some sort of. i can stop play with the brake pedal and light posi down the road... next intersection she opens up and leaves the 200 ft lone ranger. next one blow it sideways around the corner lol i dont get it.

just kinda curious of whats hiding behind that cover...

Ahh the mysteries of limited slip. Sounds like the inside's are gettin worn out. Time for a eaton truetrac.

Its a open diff. They did seem to both grab fairly often though. Having a real Traction Lock now there is a difference. Even though both spun alot with the stock diff likely not equally and not giving the traction of the real deal.

Posi Tracks.jpg

i keep hearin from my connect at ford that there is clutches inside this diff and that the entire thing is balanced even the bolts so screwin with the stock one will just cause a big ol vibration cuz i was thinkin that hey open the thing up slam a couple more discs in it and maybe stronger or more springs... idk

i keep hearin from my connect at ford that there is clutches inside this diff and that the entire thing is balanced even the bolts so screwin with the stock one will just cause a big ol vibration cuz i was thinkin that hey open the thing up slam a couple more discs in it and maybe stronger or more springs... idk

Your connection at Ford doesn't know what he is talking about. I have a stock LS diff opened up and in my garage right now. No clutches, springs or hidden LSD in there, trust me.

Find new connections.

It's just the way open differentials work. If the traction and weight on each side are the same, both tires will spin. I guess it says something about how well balanced the LS chassis and IRS rear suspension is, as most open diff. RWD's won't do this. Front wheel drives typically burn 'em both, because they typically have equal weight on each side.

How come the LS only spins em when the traction control is turned off? Does the computer take over thinking your on a wet or icy surface?

I haven't been able to hold down a good spin for more than a few feet. How the hell did you rip what looks like 20 feet or so in your picture??

the traction control it designed to stop wheel spin - it does this by monitoring the ABS ring on the rear wheels and applies the individual brake to the spinning wheel, as well as cutting the power from the engine.

The pic is of his LS with a 8.8" LSD - there is a sticky thread on this at the top of this forum "trac loc"

How come the LS only spins em when the traction control is turned off? Does the computer take over thinking your on a wet or icy surface?

I haven't been able to hold down a good spin for more than a few feet. How the hell did you rip what looks like 20 feet or so in your picture??

Traction control is designed to stop the wheels from spinning by applying rear brakes and detuning the engine. Yes on dry if the wheels start spinning the car reacts the same and the traction control activates.

I swapped a MarkVIII which basically is a Cobra differential into my car with 4.10 gearing. It'll smoke em if provoked rather easily.

20'?....more like 60'.

Sorry, couldn't guage the length from the photo. Nice job.

I guess going from a 91 mustang to a luxury vehicle with all the safety features bums me out a little. I turned of the TC the other night just to feel her fish tail a little in the rain. Felt like old times, but of course I hit the TC after a couple of wiggles. I'm not about to put a $40k car into a tree.

Looks like 56 feet and 8 inches from where I'm sittin.:p How bout we play guess the lenght on it then you go measure it?

43' 4 5/8" From the start of the little rubber pile to the end, which looks to be when it intersects with the centerline of the road.

Jason PM'ed me and asked me to tell you guys that whomever guesses the closest will get 50 dollars in the mail from him. What a nice guy. ;)

43' 4 5/8" From the start of the little rubber pile to the end, which looks to be when it intersects with the centerline of the road.

Jason PM'ed me and asked me to tell you guys that whomever guesses the closest will get 50 dollars in the mail from him. What a nice guy. ;)

Jason who.

I wanna cam corder and a 100ft tape measure to verify the results, cause I'm a stickler for detail.

This threads officialy been jacked.

Members online

No members online now.
Back