Can the CD Changer be "reset"?

Kerrigan

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there some way to reset or reboot the software in the Sony 10-disc CD changer? A hidden button or something like that?

you could try unplugging it. just unplug it and let it sit.

but chances are if you are having problems with it. you need to get another one.

you could try unplugging it. just unplug it and let it sit.

but chances are if you are having problems with it. you need to get another one.

I just sent him a tested working one. We now need to find out if the "new" one is doing same thing old one was doing.

Got it in good condition and going to plug it in this weekend and give it a spin.

Anyone have a brief write-up on how to r/r these trunk mounted players?

I just sent him a tested working one. We now need to find out if the "new" one is doing same thing old one was doing.

Got it in good condition and going to plug it in this weekend and give it a spin.

Anyone have a brief write-up on how to r/r these trunk mounted players?

Dude you had me to believe that the one I sent you was not working!! Its super easy to pull out just a couple bolts. No write up really needed take off cover unbolt and un plug. Double check I didn't leave any CD's in there. LOL

LOL! No problem; haven't got it in the car yet.
Wondered about resetting them as I notice they have their own software installed. Usually with software (not firmware) machines can be forced to reboot and reload the IPL. Sometimes that fixed "confusion" problems. Wondered if we could do that with these players.

Dude you had me to believe that the one I sent you was not working!! Its super easy to pull out just a couple bolts. No write up really needed take off cover unbolt and un plug. Double check I didn't leave any CD's in there. LOL

LOL! No problem; haven't got it in the car yet.
Wondered about resetting them as I notice they have their own software installed. Usually with software (not firmware) machines can be forced to reboot and reload the IPL. Sometimes that fixed "confusion" problems. Wondered if we could do that with these players.

I use to turn my engine off & on when I got the message "no disc jockey found" until disc 1 would finally load and play. That car got totalled and this new used one wouldn't eject the cart.

this test will cycle through your speakers with test noise, usually after the test DTC's will be shown:

"There is a factory "self-test" for the radio that starts by having the radio on, and having it on FM (Do not have it on CD, it will not work). Once you have it on FM, push and hold #3 and #6 buttons and the radio will run a self test at which it'll send the sound to the RF, LF, LR, RR speaker while displaying which speaker it is at on the display. "

this test will cycle through your speakers with test noise, usually after the test DTC's will be shown:

"There is a factory "self-test" for the radio that starts by having the radio on, and having it on FM (Do not have it on CD, it will not work). Once you have it on FM, push and hold #3 and #6 buttons and the radio will run a self test at which it'll send the sound to the RF, LF, LR, RR speaker while displaying which speaker it is at on the display. "

Now that's cool I wonder what other self tests there are? My old cad. 85 Eldorado you could push two buttons in the AC and it would cycle thru and tell any stored trouble codes and there was some button you could get a digital tach to show.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed. The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated. To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given. If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation. To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank). To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed. The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated. To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given. If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation. To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank). To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

Huh!!! Dispose of the one in the trunk and install one up to date....:)

Thank unity for this one

The message center also has a built-in self diagnostic setting. To access it, just hold down the RANGE and COMPASS switches while turning the ignition switch from OFF to RUN. Press RANGE to advance the message center indicator module to the next test group. Cycle the ignition from RUN to OFFand back to RUN to return to normal operation. Now here's what you get when you press RANGE: 1. ROM Level and check sum test. This gives the software build (actually firmware number when it was installed (not a big deal)) but the check sum has to be 00 (zero, zero). If it is not, then replace the message center. 2. EEPROM Level and Check Sum Test. Same as above. The EEPROM should have a check sum of 0000 (zero, zero, zero, zero). If not,replace the message center. 3. Display Test. This test displays the same character in all 24 character positions. Press VEHICLE SETTINGS or TRIP ODO buttons to sequence through the entire character set. Replace the message center if the characters are not displayed properly. 4. Lamp Test. This test lights each one of the warning indicators that the message center indicator module drives (FASTEN SEAT BELT,O/D OFF, and TRACTION CONTROL OFF) in sequence. To sequence through the indicators, press the TRIP ODO button. Test 1 illuminates the fasten seat belt indicator. Test 2 - 6 are inactive and produce no output. Test 7 illuminates the traction control off indicator. Test 8 illuminates the O/D off indicator. 5. FINAL DATE. This is a coded date that indicates when the message center module was manufactured and is used by the dealer when requesting assistance from the "hotline" (figure that one out!) 6. SERIAL NUMBER (duh?) 7. A/D CHANNEL TESTS. (Analog to Digital tests.) The following tests display the status of the analog inputs to the message center indicator module. To sequence through the different A/D tests, press the VEHICLE SETTINGS button to sequence forward, and the TRIP ODO button to sequence backward. For the analog inputs associated with each test, refer to the A/D Input Table below.These tests can be used with the corresponding pinpoint tests (not included here) to verify if the message center indicator module is working properly when NGS Tester is not available to monitor PIDs. A/D INPUT TABLE: ANALOG INPUT VOLTAGE TEST NUMBER TESTED A/D0 (zero) Battery A/D1 Spare (N/A) A/D2 Fuel Level A/D3 Oil Temperature A/D4 Spare (N/A) A/D5 Spare (N/A) A/D6 Switch Bank #2 A/D7 Switch Bank #1

8. DIGITAL PORT TESTS. The folowing tests display the status of each of the digital (descrete) inputs to the message center indicator module. To sequence through the different Digital Port tests, press the VEHICLE SETTINGS switch to sequence forward, and the TRIP ODO switch to sequence backward. see below for the digital inputs associated with each test. These tests can be used with the corresponding pinpoint tests (not included here) to verify if the message center indicator module is working properly.

DIGITAL PORT TESTS TEST # PORT FUNCTION TEST USED PORT A Engineering (N/A) (N/A) PORT B Engineering (N/A) (N/A) PORT C Engineering (N/A) (N/A) PORT D Engineering (N/A) (N/A) PORT E Engineering (N/A) (N/A) PORT F Digital Input Ports Digital Port PORT G Engineering (N/A (N/A) PORT H Engineering (N/A) (N/A)

PORT F BIT DEFINITION

PORT F BIT 7 Bit 6 Bit 5 Bit 4 Bit 3 Bit 2

Bit Oil Washer Coolant Air Ride Air Ride Run Function Level Fluid Level Switch Warning Detect

Level

BIT = 0 Oil Low Coolant Air Ride Air Ride Run Level Washer Level Switch System Voltage OK Fluid OK OFF OK ON

BIT = 1 Low Oil Washer Low Air Ride Check Run Level Fluid Coolant Switch Air Voltage OK Level ON Ride OFF Switch Message Center Indicator Module Pin # C208-23 C208-31 C208-29 C246-12 C208-22 C246-10 Wire W/PK PK/Y LB BR/PK DG/LG BK/PK color

Bit 1 and Bit 0 are not used and have no input or Connector Numbers.

9. DISPLAY DIMMING TEST. This test displays the status of the dimming value sent to the message center indicator module over the SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) network by the steering column/ignition/lighting (SCIL) module, as well as the internal dimming level set by the message center indicator module. (1.) Press the VEHICLESETTINGS button to increase the vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) dimming level and the TRIP ODO button to decrease the VFD dimming level. (2.) NOTE: The SCP value displayed indicates the vehicle dimming setting commanded by the SCIL module. NOTE: When the SCP level changes, the message center indicator module will immediately change the VFD dimming level to the one that corresponds to the SCIL module commanded SCP level. Note that the message center indicator module illumination brightness will vary in response the the SCP/VFD brightness level commanded. Rotate the instrument panel lamp dimming control wheel. These tests can be used with the pinpoint tests (not included here) to verify if the message center indicator module is working properly when NGS Tester is not available to monitor PIDs and send commands.

The SCP or Standard Corporate Protocol is a system in Lincolns (and other Ford manufactured models) that allows module to module communications to keep the number of wires from going all around the car. For instance the speed sensor is connected to only one module (usually the speed control module) and that information is shared with other modules through the SCP system. In a '97and '98 Mark VIII there are 10 modules that use this system to send data all around the car. For example, the passenger's door has only 1 switch in it for door ajar, and inside lighting. The passenger's door uses the SCIL module to monitor the switch,but the driver's door is monitored by the driver's door module and the data is sent by the SCP to the SCIL module that the driver's door is open or closed. The speed sensor is also sent to the instrument panel via SCP which operates the speedometer. It is also sent to the SCIL module which will not allow the trunk to be opened by the inside switch or key fob while the vehicle's speed is over 5 mph. All of these signals are sent through the SCP. I call it a way of module to module communication that we (Ford) know of, but you don't. An NGS tester is the only tester that will read and simulate the SCP signaks. It will test out the speedometer, the temperature guage, etc., without any other outside source. I have called other OBDII tester manufacturers and none of them can even read the information on the bus, let alone generate the signals for it. It is probably not that complex, but there is no information in the service manuals explaining it at all. You can use a small putty knife and get under the switch assembly and popit out of the mount without removing all the things the manual says to. I have done it several times tomy car, but I would not do it in the winter as you need some flexing of the plastic pins. Ihope you can get into the testing mode. If not, then you'll need the NGS, which is something by itself can read and write data into the message center.

Thank you! Throw that POS in the trash because that's all their worth. Get an aftermarket deck and connect an iPod Touch and quit worrying with that junk in the trunk.

takes up space and weight.....launch that **** out the window and get an aftermaket radio...double dins are a nice touch to our interiors. I got me a pyle double din dvd with ipod for 150 at best buy.

Members online

Back