Can I install A hitch on my o1 LS V8?

POPPABEAR78

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Im planning on moving to florida so I need to move and right now they are charging me a little too much for a truch and a car dolly so Im considering on installing a hitch and putting a trailer on it.

Is it possible and does anyone know how much ? :Beer

you can - but as with any uni-body car - you have to be careful what you tow.

3.0L / 3.9L standard - 1000lbs
3.0L / 3.9L with Sport Package (suspension/trannie cooler) - 2000lbs

Yes you can. drawtite makes a hitch for the ls. A wiring harness that integrates specificially with the ls is also available. It has an 1 1/4 reciever and is rated to tow 3500 lbs and 300 lbs tounge weight.

True, Just called to put one on mine. hitch is 219 installed and the wire harness is $140 installed! I guess its one of 2 american cars with a + Ground lighting system and requires this specal kit.. Lovely.

Sorry forget to mention price. I have seen then advertised for 130.00 for the hitch & 50.00 for the harness. I would recommend the ls specific wire harness to keep the integrity of the wire harness intact. These are do it yourself prices. Contact me if you have any questions.

ls-steve said:
Sorry forget to mention price. I have seen then advertised for 130.00 for the hitch & 50.00 for the harness. I would recommend the ls specific wire harness to keep the integrity of the wire harness intact. These are do it yourself prices. Contact me if you have any questions.
Where can I get that harness for $50 :) Sign me up!!

Cool...

Something I found...
Q: I was told that my 1999 Windstar has "Low side switching." What do I need to be able to enable the lighting circuit on my trailer?
A: Indeed, Ford has changed the wiring configuration on the '99 and newer Windstar models and also the 2000 Lincoln LS series vehicle. You will require a "low side switching adapter" which can be installed by your dealer are any competent trailer hitch installation facility. Beware however, this wiring procedure is not for the "faint of heart" wiring mechanic. One mistake could cost you serious dollars, so leave this one to the professionals! Low side switching is similar to having a positive ground effect. When the signal light is on, the power going to it is off. The signal is modulated, so you cannot take power directly off your lighting circuit. The adapter uses the lighting circuit to switch power on and off remotely from the vehicles battery. This in turn applies power from the vehicle battery to the trailer instead of the lighting circuit.

Wonder if the kit takes care of all of this, this is exactaly what the hitch place said that I called too..

Quik LS said:
you can - but as with any uni-body car - you have to be careful what you tow.

3.0L / 3.9L standard - 1000lbs
3.0L / 3.9L with Sport Package (suspension/trannie cooler) - 2000lbs
Do all LS8 sports have trannie coolers?
If not, how do I find out if mine has one?

MikeB said:
Do all LS8 sports have trannie coolers?
If not, how do I find out if mine has one?

yes - that was part of the 'sport' package. I'm not sure about the V6

I might be wrong...

looking at the ordering guide for my 2001 - the sport package say 'engine oil cooler' not trans cooler...

I thought they added the SST and a trans cooler - since the automatic was the only option for a V8.

Members online

No members online now.
Back