Can anyone identify this knock?

Yep, did not matter if i pushed it in or out stayed the same. Yeah not resurfacing the flywheel screwed ya, your gonna need to replace the clutch again when you pull it apart and resurface/replace the flywheel.

Well, that is definitely something that I will look in to. Thanks for the heads up.

Also when mine did it the noise was transmitted thru the whole front end of the truck. I only knew what to check because I knew what i did to it. Im not sure about mustangs tranny's but my 150 had a inspection (rubber) plug, when i pulled that out it I could hear it better. When i replaced the clutch, probaly 35k later i never seen any marks of what it was. I figured something on the pressure plate dinging the inside, that was my best guess. Anyway I'm pretty much 100% sure your noise is coming from that area.

Also when mine did it the noise was transmitted thru the whole front end of the truck. I only knew what to check because I knew what i did to it. Im not sure about mustangs tranny's but my 150 had a inspection (rubber) plug, when i pulled that out it I could hear it better. When i replaced the clutch, probaly 35k later i never seen any marks of what it was. I figured something on the pressure plate dinging the inside, that was my best guess. Anyway I'm pretty much 100% sure your noise is coming from that area.

Just checked under it. I can hear it on the bellhousing of the tranny.

Stick? DUH ME LOL! Forgot man lmao. Workin' on Lincolns too many years lol.

Yeah and here is another video, back when I thought it was a loose catalytic converter.

YouTube- Mystery knock of a ford 4.6L

Oh and in case anyone is interested, this is and acceleration video of it.

YouTube- 1996 Mustang GT with Mark VIII 4V engine 0-60MPH

Well If you are gonna do a clutch, just throw it back together with no clutch at all, just a flywheel, just put 2 or so bolts of bellhousing to engine and start it. I went from a centerforce dual friction to a spec stage 3 clutch, it looked smaller and even looked like a stck clutch, just blue. It ended up hitting 3 places in bellhousing.I ground it out and all has been quiet now

Well If you are gonna do a clutch, just throw it back together with no clutch at all, just a flywheel, just put 2 or so bolts of bellhousing to engine and start it. I went from a centerforce dual friction to a spec stage 3 clutch, it looked smaller and even looked like a stck clutch, just blue. It ended up hitting 3 places in bellhousing.I ground it out and all has been quiet now

I pulled the inspection plate by the cable on my T-45 and nothing is hitting, that was one of the first things that I did. It is possible that I am missing something though.

well what brand clutch do you have? my pressure plate rubbed on just a few areas of the internal reinforcement of the bell housing, I too, could not see anyhting hitting thru the inspection hole, I had the bellhousing off twice before I caught it.

well what brand clutch do you have? my pressure plate rubbed on just a few areas of the internal reinforcement of the bell housing, I too, could not see anyhting hitting thru the inspection hole, I had the bellhousing off twice before I caught it.

Ford Racing King Cobra.

Id tell ya to ignore it and drive it like it is but I know that noise is annoying as hell. Nothing like sitting at the stop light with that mean rattle coming from the car.

How many miles on the clutch?

Also I don't know a whole lot about mustangs, but my 150 had a 10.5" disc in it, I upgraded to a 11" with a new fly wheel. Did you go bigger/thicker by any chance?

Id tell ya to ignore it and drive it like it is but I know that noise is annoying as hell. Nothing like sitting at the stop light with that mean rattle coming from the car.

How many miles on the clutch?

Also I don't know a whole lot about mustangs, but my 150 had a 10.5" disc in it, I upgraded to a 11" with a new fly wheel. Did you go bigger/thicker by any chance?

Oh if it's in the clutch, I am ignoring it. I don't care how annoying it is, it's a pain to get that tranny out with the 4V in. It's a 10.5" clutch, the King Cobra is a souped up OEM clutch essentially.

Just confirmed that it's in the clutch. Put it in 4th, let the clutch out 3/4 of the way and the knocking stops completely. Looks like I have the uber fun task of pulling the damned tranny back out and finding out what this is.

wanna definately say lifters. doesnt sound like rod knock at all. might wanna try pulling timing cover off and checking tensioners on both side of timing chain and plastic guides chain will slap around and make funny noise on start up and when has been running for awhile do to play in timing chain definately dont beat on it until you figure it out

He already said it's the clutch in post 37.

Members online

No members online now.
Back