Cam Position Sensor P0340

kTaLgsTo

LVC Member
Reaction score
97 Mark VIII

1) Car randomly dies right after a crank and start. Trying again immediately always works.

2) Measured the connector going to the PCM:

1 wire = 0-1 ohms
2 wire = infinite, no measurement.

3) Replaced the sensor because it was original to the car, still same symptoms and light finally came back on for P0340 about a month later...

4) Pulled back the wiring loom on it today, found the wires right next to the connector are glued/almost melted together. Separated them and used some electrical tape to ensure no shorts.
Inspected the shielding, looked good. Installed additional shielding all the way to the connector since it was about two inches from....

5) No light yet, no hard start yet... Just seeking advice in case it does come back, anything else to check? Do the measurements above look normal??

IDK about your measurements but talking about bad wires, I found the wires to the transmission got wet with oil at some point and the insulation on the wires had turned into a chalk substance that was missing all together in places. I had to clean and wire wrap each wire from the trans connector back into the harness quite a way to get to good rubber over the wires. Mine is a 97 also.

You can probe the wires to the cam sensor and check for AC voltage when running. Should be 0.5 vac to 1.0 vac. An analog meter is best as the voltage output is not static and will be sporadic on a digital volt meter but should still show a fluctuating voltage. Checking while cranking may or may not work depending on cranking speed and voltage.

Thanks for the reply, it's been 11 days and no code so far, but I have had a few start-then-die events... So it makes me think something is still going on there... I will probe it and see what I get, should also be able to scan while running and see it oscillate shouldn't I??

Members online

No members online now.
Back