California Catalytic Converter

StephenGlenn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
2005 Base 3.0V6. Driver's side is failing. I live in WA but it's a California car. Anybody from California know of a new/used source for a Cal CC? Magna Flow makes universal California ones but if there's a junkyard around that would be great. OEM at the dealer are all discontinued.

Both of mine had stickers saying they were emissions legal for all 50 states. Are you certain that yours had a special converter?
Ford parts only shows one part number for the catalytic converters for North America, nothing separated by state.

I'll take your word for it. The item is discontinued so I'm looking for another source. Aftermarket is universal kit. I'm wondering if someones had good luck with a particular junkyard that I might find a used one. Thanks

I'll take your word for it. The item is discontinued so I'm looking for another source. Aftermarket is universal kit. I'm wondering if someones had good luck with a particular junkyard that I might find a used one. Thanks
Car-part.com
In the salvage yard game it's best to research and investigate thoroughly...boots on the ground type business

No guarantee a used one will function properly. Besides that... most junkyards recycle the converters for the platinum.

Magnaflow has gotten good reports on here from members that have tried them.

I'll confirm that, most salvage yards depend on income from platinum recyclers. I've never seen a cat in a salvage yard.

Let me just clarify a few things. The factory cat was good for all states. Ca. has a list of approved replacement cats. The reason for that (according to the state) is they wanted to make sure only high quality converters were installed, not cheap inefficient ones. If you are not ever going to be registering your LS in Ca. than pick the converter you like best and go with it. Ca. approved converters often fetch a much higher price for no other reason than the certification that you can't pass a Ca. smog check without. If you are dead set on a Ca. converter than make sure it is welded in numbers down, that is also a Ca. requirement to pass inspection.

I totally agree with Monkeywrench.

The LS was a 50-state emission car.
Lincoln only made one emission version.

Check with your state emission department, as many states do follow the California CARB (California Air Resources Board) rules.

How do you know your CAT is 'gone' ?
Have you traced/logged the Short and Long term Fuel Trims ... and watched the pre- and post- O2 sensor voltages?

Is it plugged?

One source could be "miller cat" in San Jose, CA. They make catalytic converters ... as well as cat shields (anti-theft).
Rock-Auto may be another source ... I have not looked.
Else, a muffler shop.

... my 2-cents.

If you are dead set on a Ca. converter than make sure it is welded in numbers down, that is also a Ca. requirement to pass inspection.
I don't think this is entirely correct. I have a Pacifica that I had a universal CA compliant converter installed. The location and orientation of the oxygen sensors must not change. In order to do this they had to weld it in with the serial numbers up. It has passed smog twice now. I think as long as they can see the numbers with a mirror without too much difficulty it is OK in these cases.

I don't think this is entirely correct. I have a Pacifica that I had a universal CA compliant converter installed. The location and orientation of the oxygen sensors must not change. In order to do this they had to weld it in with the serial numbers up. It has passed smog twice now. I think as long as they can see the numbers with a mirror without too much difficulty it is OK in these cases.

I had to weld in a cat a few years back and I thought that was what the smog shop said. I must have misunderstood. Happens now and then as the years tick by.

Members online

No members online now.
Back