"C" head swap

PHRANQUY

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, for those who don't know, and I'm pretty sure that all but maybe one person here doesn't know of recent developments, I am doing a "C" head swap on my car. I got a killer deal on a set of '04 heads off of a crate motor that had never been used, as well as all the timing gear, a set of 96-98 intake cams, and a few other things I needed.

I am wondering however, those of you who have done this, did you run into any problems with the intake? Also, what fuel rails have you used?

It was either rebuild my heads, or use the '04 heads. It was cheaper to use the '04 heads, and more condusive to my max effort N/A builds future.

Well, I do know how to get a "B" head intake to work on a "C" head car, just don't feel like tracking down the parts I need.

Or are you saying that the intake cams won't work? I've seen it done, and it's not the first time, Pauls High Performance saw some pretty decent gains by doing this in fact. Plus, there's no difference in the cam journals, so they will fit. The only thing some might view as a problem is the different lobes on the 96-98 cams.

I've done a lot of research on this and figured out which will generate the most power short of the FR500's which you can only get in a kit form.

Some specs for you to chew on...

Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra, Aviator, Marauder (the intake is from the Navigator)
Intake: 184 deg @ .050/.394 lift
Exhaust: 196 deg @ .050/.397" lift

96-98 Cobra:
Intake: Primary Lobe, 196 duration @.050/ 390 lift
Secondary Lobe, 206 duration @.050/ 390 lift
Exhaust: 196 duration @.050/ 390 lift

99/01 Cobra:
Intake: 196 duration @.050/392 lift
Exhaust: 194 duration @.050/390 lift

03/04 Cobras, Navigators, Mach 1s, Aviators and Marauders all use the same intake cam and they are less aggressive than the 99/01 Cobra cams. Additionally, the 96-98 Cobra intake cams are even more aggressive than the 99/01 Cobra cams.

I'll be doing custom cams when I build the bottom end of the car in another year, but for now I am just trying to take care of some of the simpler stuff.

Unless you can tell me why you think the 96-98 cams wouldn't work in place of the '04s?

Use either:

99-04 Continental (probably cheapest and best for clearance. Will also be able to use Gen-I Mark fuel rails)
or
99-02 Cobra for an intake.

I know Unity is running an 04 power plant under his hood, so he'd be the expert to ask.

I am wondering however, those of you who have done this, did you run into any problems with the intake? Also, what fuel rails have you used?
You'll need 96-98 Cobra return fuel rails to run either intake. The Conti intake could probably utilize Gen-I Mark VIII return rails, though. The 96-98 Cobra fuel rails will need to be slightly modified on the mounting tabs in order to mount to the C-Cobra intake. It's been done and there' pics floating about the Net somewhere.

Problem, the 97 rails don't fit the '01 intake I have. We looked at pushing it here, pulling it there, we'd actually have to lengthen the flexible section to make it work. I'd rather sell these '97 rails.

I think I have found a solution though, but it requires the use of Aeromotive fuel rails. :(

97...Cobra rails?

You can make them work withour having to drop $500 on a fuel setup. You'll need to have the mounting brackets cut off then welded into a different position. Let me try and find the photos...

01-04 returnless rail with an adapter to allow mounting of a return fuel regulator in place of the FPS sensor:

fuel_rail_adapter.jpg

evillally said:
97...Cobra rails?

You can make them work withour having to drop $500 on a fuel setup. You'll need to have the mounting brackets cut off then welded into a different position. Let me try and find the photos...

No, we looked at moving the tabs, and even doing that, the flexible part of the line will need to be modified, or we'd need to bend the rails to get to 4 of the injectors. I'd rather just sell them to re-coup my money than damage a perfectly good fuel rail.

I already have many of the AN fittings I would need from when I built the fuel system for my truck. Not to mention, after some research last night, using the 97 fuel rails would only hold me over for a year...I have other plans for this car that are not friendly to the hose thats used in the existing line.

m_maker said:
01-04 returnless rail with an adapter to allow mounting of a return fuel regulator in place of the FPS sensor:
[picture removed]
Where can I get this adapter?

Here is another decent question......

Where in the hell can I pick up a set of C heads? I have no problem finding B's, but e-bay has nothing, and I can't seem to find any on the mustang forums.

Mike

PHRANQUY said:
Well, I do know how to get a "B" head intake to work on a "C" head car, just don't feel like tracking down the parts I need.

I'm curious how you'd go about this since the intake ports are different from B heads to C heads, and just exactly what "parts" you'd need to track down.

Frogman said:
I'm curious how you'd go about this since the intake ports are different from B heads to C heads, and just exactly what "parts" you'd need to track down.
Some time between 1997 and 1999 when the Continentals went to a "C" head, they still used the "B" intake and Ford used a plate in between the head and the intake to make it work. We discovered this when we pulled the motor out of a Continental for a friends car, but because of this it wouldn't work. I just can't remember what years they did this.

94m5 said:
Here is another decent question......

Where in the hell can I pick up a set of C heads? I have no problem finding B's, but e-bay has nothing, and I can't seem to find any on the mustang forums.

Mike
You have a PM. I sent you info on the shop I got mine from.

Where in the hell can I pick up a set of C heads?

You know those 99-02 Continental motors that appear on eBay for $200 every so often because nobody wants them?

Well, there you go...:D

evillally said:
You know those 99-02 Continental motors that appear on eBay for $200 every so often because nobody wants them?

Well, there you go...:D

interesting, would have never known!

evillally said:
Oh, and Kar Kraft sell new ones for $679.
I got mine for less, complete with timing chains AND tensioners.

Try the guys at www.hitechmotorsport.com based out of Ramsey, MN (Unless they moved to their new shop in Elk River now) and talk to Brian. I'm very familiar with this shop. They actually get them off the '04 long blocks they use to build some of their cheaper forged motor combos with. Fortunately I am friends with a few of the guys that work there and they called me when they knew a set was going to be available.

The sets they don't sell also end up on Corral.

Personally, I'd shoot for Terminator heads as opposed to the c-heads. Allegedly, the C-heads had some kind of ticking problem that was resolved with the Terminators. The "fixed" heads can be identified with the blue sprayed stripe on them...

Um, might wanna double check your info, but the "Terminator" heads are "C" heads, but they were revised from the 99/01 (I.E. Tumble Port) heads. It was actually the 03 (or maybe 04? Pretty sure it's 03) heads that had a problem with the ticking and were fixed, all '04 heads SHOULD have the fix, and 03's that were produced in the later half of the year. They will not have the paint stripe though, you would need to look at the PN I believe. Or, if you get brand new crate motor takeoff's like I did, they would also have the fix.

Members online

No members online now.
Back