Buying a Lincoln LS....looking for advice

Seems like that could make it a 2000, but what does the VIN say for the model year? (Post the VIN if you don't see the JOB year.)
The LS does not have a timing belt. It has four timing chains and multiple timing chain tensioners. Did he really just change the accessory belt tensioner? If it was a timing chain tensioner, then which one(s)? Did he replace the chain(s) too? Really must do this if the tensioner failed. Did the tensioner fail? Was damage done to pistons and valves. Did he leave the other tensioners as is? Did he change out the chain guides?

All these questions would certainly make me pass on it. In fact, as I said I would only consider a 2nd gen, even if this were the only reason (it's not).

Get familiar with this site:

http://www.etis.ford.com

Its the step that will confirm all about the factory build for any vin. I ran that vin the guy gave you, and yes that would be a 2000.

You can also confirm some things (like year) and some service on mycarfax.com So.... like I mentioned this being one of the pre may 2001 if he doesn't have hard documented verifiable proof that he changed the whole system of timing chains from top to bottom including the oil pump, according to the wisdom on jag forums and here those chains Will break some time.

That means at the minimum if you do the work yourself you are looking at upwards of 1000 dollars in parts. My mech is going to do the job at $1500 - barring any issues. Fortunately he quotes his time, not book. All dealers I asked want at least 3000 and look scared like I may pay that and make them do it. I am sure they would end up charging more.

Sorry, but this looks like a pass on since the build date is like near the first anyhow. Joe (or someone) may know the first build date.

Damn! This was a clean car as far as the link that I posted. Going to have to pass. Definitely don't want to go through a major headache right off the back. And without verification that all work was done, I would be going on a hope and prayer. I'll look for a Gen II...v6 or v8...although v8 I prefer. I do see a few on CL that are under $3k but I'm not sure what all work has been done as with anything you buy on CL. I've already text a few of the sellers so will update once I hear something. Thank you guys for pushing me to want something better.

Good Luck in the search. Thats what it boils down too, what you are looking for in terms of investment. My car was so clean, I didnt really think like I should have. At times, I have thought man this is foolish spending so much. But I think I am close now, and with some savvy parts buying, finding honest mechs, I think I will be ok until I have to do the suspension work. Hopefully I can get closer to 150k (102 now) for that.

Anyone else looking to buy a gen 1 car like this, keep in mind if it is clean and the price is right for you, the car may be fine. Whoever gets that car could get 50,000 miles, or 5 miles more out of it. Since I want 150k miles more, I am going through the trouble of the rebuild.

my '00 ls with 120k miles on it has been really good over the last 2 years or so. i did just replace
all of the cooling system bits, and have done 1 suspension overall, which i knew i was going to do
regardless of which ls i bought. otherwise, it's been problem free. i wouldn't be scared of a gen1,
but i am also comfy around building cars, and doing my own r&r on all of my vehicles, so that does
come into play. some / most folks have to have someone else do work on their cars, and you have
to account for that when buying one of these.

Chain

If he replaced it with a belt I'd take a pass and keep looking. Know what your getting into, as already mentioned, you'll need $$$ to keep this car.

So I went and looked at two LS's over the weekend and asking for everyone's opinion on which seems like a better value.

1. 2006 LS v8 124,000mi rebuilt title since it was a police impound vehicle but passed saftey inspection and rebuilt title issue, no sunroof, good condition but runs a little rough like it may need a tune up or coil packs. Asking $3400

2. 2003 Ls v8 sport, 87k original miles, loaded and in excellent condition with only a side swipe on the drivers rear quarter panel. Runs excellent but transmission has a delay in shift from either 1st to 2nd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear and when it shifts , its kind of rough. Was told it needs a computer. So may just be PCM or solenoid replaced. Appears to only have had two owners and per Car Fax valve colver gaskets and coils were replaced last year at Ford Dealership and new battery in 2014. Per Car Fax it seems to have been well cared for. Seems like most service was done at Ford dealership Vin number 1LNHM87A13Y693196. Asking $5995 at dealer

3. 2003 LS V8 Sport 139,000, also seems loaded has all options. Havent seen it in person yet will do so tomorrow. Alot of service also seems to have been done at Ford dealership per the Car Fax Report. Valve cover gaskets and ignition coil assemblies also seem to have been done last year. Vin 1LNHM87A43Y701758 Asking $2500.

What seems like a better deal between the three? The LS with the lowest miles has the highest price but what is a realistic price for that vehicle especially since it needs work on the solenoid or PCM repaired. I like that one the most as it was very clean. Only had two owners and all service done at Ford.

So I went and looked at two LS's over the weekend and asking for everyone's opinion on which seems like a better value.

1. 2006 LS v8 124,000mi rebuilt title since it was a police impound vehicle but passed saftey inspection and rebuilt title issue, no sunroof, good condition but runs a little rough like it may need a tune up or coil packs. Asking $3400

2. 2003 Ls v8 sport, 87k original miles, loaded and in excellent condition with only a side swipe on the drivers rear quarter panel. Runs excellent but transmission has a delay in shift from either 1st to 2nd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear and when it shifts , its kind of rough. Was told it needs a computer. So may just be PCM or solenoid replaced. Appears to only have had two owners and per Car Fax valve colver gaskets and coils were replaced last year at Ford Dealership and new battery in 2014. Per Car Fax it seems to have been well cared for. Seems like most service was done at Ford dealership Vin number 1LNHM87A13Y693196. Asking $5995 at dealer

3. 2003 LS V8 Sport 139,000, also seems loaded has all options. Havent seen it in person yet will do so tomorrow. Alot of service also seems to have been done at Ford dealership per the Car Fax Report. Valve cover gaskets and ignition coil assemblies also seem to have been done last year. Vin 1LNHM87A43Y701758 Asking $2500.

What seems like a better deal between the three? The LS with the lowest miles has the highest price but what is a realistic price for that vehicle especially since it needs work on the solenoid or PCM repaired. I like that one the most as it was very clean. Only had two owners and all service done at Ford.
Everybody has there own opinion when it comes to a realistic price for a vehicle. I've always used Kelly Blue Book and NADA as a basis on any vehicle purchase. I picked up a 06 LS earlier this year with just under 60K miles and paid $7500 for it. From checking NADA value for the car I ended up getting a good deal and I am only the 3rd owner of the vehicle. Gotta love CarFax, I also found out the original buyer when it was brand new had it less then 4 months and traded it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Some will say the first one, but I would NEVER purchase a car with a rebuilt/salvage title. One NEVER knows what hidden damage there may. Value is also seriously diminished with that title.

My vote would be #3... https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do#

I would only get a rebuilt title if I was going to gut the car or something and make true race car. too often its too hard to even get insurance on a salvaged car

So if I was going to take the 2003 with 88K miles going for $6k what would be a good price to offer the car since it needs that PCM repair or solenoid replaced. Other than that seems to run great. Did alot of you guys have problems with the 2003...the few 2004s I see appear to be beat up and their still overpriced in my opinion.

I'd forget them all...................you can wait a while like I did,keep on the lookout, and come up with one with low miles and NO problems.You've gotta be patient and it will work out better for you.
You should be able to test drive the car until it is running the normal temperature and test drive it for several miles.
If I pay 6000 for one it's gonna be pretty well problem free.
I just paid 6500 for one from Craigslist with 67,000 miles that has done really well. I put a water pump on it because I'm particular and an idler pulley was making a little noise.
Like any used car, there will be parts to buy................BUT you don't want to get one that has trans symptoms already,do you?
PATIENCE! don-ohio :)^)

Normally I definitely would agree but I need something quick as I need a second car before cold weather hits. I'm driving a lease and I'm steady racking up the miles on it...and don't want to start paying overage charges for going over the mileage...and I figured if I could work out a deal and get it for a lower price and trade in my Mark VIII things would work out in my favor. This is a dealer/car lot so they agreed to take it in on trade. The Mark VIII needs some work and the more I keep driving it the more work I have to shell out so rather park it and sell it or trade it on something else. The dealer said he would fix it but then would charge me full asking price.

ya braugh, sadly that middle one is on the high side. Of course that is with a dealer profit. If the shifts is obvious, use it as a bargaining point - have him call AAMCO and ask how much to repair likely. They will likely say $2500 to $3000, and if that dealer will take that off the $5995, then thats fair you say. Hardball them that way maybe they will meet in the middle somewhere.

Then whatever you do dont go to AAMCO lol....

If I only had $2000, I'd look for a 3800 V6 Buick. Much more reliable.
That LS has had about 2/3 of the likely failures fixed. Cooling system parts and transmission solenoids are guaranteed to fail. Possibly the DCCV heater control valve too.

I bought the '03 with 81k miles and because the transmission shifted hard, used it as a bargaining chip and got it for $4200

I bought the '03 with 81k miles and because the transmission shifted hard, used it as a bargaining chip and got it for $4200

Well, as long as everyone is happy with that deal, what more could you ask for? On paper I probably would have gone with #3 but that's just my 2 cents worth

Well, as long as everyone is happy with that deal, what more could you ask for? On paper I probably would have gone with #3 but that's just my 2 cents worth

I do think about that often as that silver looked good since it had the body colored grill and all. Had a few noticable scratches and lower air intake was cracked from probably going over low curbs or parking stubs but was clean. That rebuilt title scared me and it needed brakes, and probably a major tune up. So my thought was it's still going to need another grand or so to get it right plus tires. Better to go with a clean title, low mileage one owner.

Have you looked thru all the Wisconsin CL's? I've seen a few Gen 2 down around your price range. I would never buy a Gen 1 because I test drove one before buying my 03 and it was like they were two different cars. Saying the Gen 2 is "more refined" is an understatement.

Have you looked thru all the Wisconsin CL's? I've seen a few Gen 2 down around your price range. I would never buy a Gen 1 because I test drove one before buying my 03 and it was like they were two different cars. Saying the Gen 2 is "more refined" is an understatement.

I got a 03 bro from Addison, IL with 81K miles on it....now to get it running right....needs coils and plugs first. Thanks anyway

Good choice! :Beer

From me too. Although my LS has been expensive and some of the design failures are hard to excuse, I looked under the car at the frame and under body, and there is very little rust. Here in CT they liberally salt the roads. It's eaten the floorboards out of my two year older VW. So as a used car, the LS is a solid foundation if you can do the repairs yourself.

Just wanted to say I owned a 00' LS and it racked me up some money, so now thanks to updated threads I can really look at what I want to drive, my only question is reliability, V6/V8 when driven without abuse? I always thought the 6 would be better but I'm just finding a **** ton of 8's and just want to know mechanically wise which is a smart choice? I DIY and got 4 cars under me so I'm no expert but I'm knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internally speaking, I think that the gen II V8 has less failures than either gen V6.
Of course, since we are talking about used cars (engines), it will all depend on how well the previous owner(s) took care of it.

Of course ^ that is all understandable. I'm thinking I'll swing to the v8, I don't drive like a grandpa but I got a kid so I'm in the right lane the majority of the time. It's good to be back on a site where there isn't the visible bashing or purposely misinforming the new guy trying to get into something he doesn't have a big clue of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.
Back