Buying a Lincoln LS....looking for advice

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey so first let me start by saying I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I don't post in the right area or haven't introduced myself properly. I currently own a '16 MKZ and a '96 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC and I'm wanting to purchase a LS. I've always wanted one but couldn't afford them and I've heard so many bad things about them that I kind of stayed away from it. So I'm currently looking to buy one and think I may have found one that is within my budget and looks pretty clean. It is on Craigslist. Its a 01 LS V8 with 111K miles on it which I think is pretty good. It has the power moonroof but no cd player from what I can see in the pics. Don't know what other options it has since I haven't seen it yet. But as far as work performed the guy told me it has new ball joints inner outer tie rods sway bar bushing sway bar links front and rear new also has new valve cover gaskets new plugs and coils. He's asking $2500. It needs a clock spring which is why the abs light is on he tells me. Other than that he says it's clean with clear title and ready to go.

What do you all think? Good deal? Should I be looking for things when I go and take a look at it?

No maintenance records available as he says he's a mechanic so im assuming he's did his own work. Im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll be honest. If I were you, based on how cheap these cars can be had now, I would look for the cleanest 2006 LS I could find. The 06 will likely give you the least amount of trouble and will have the best features of any LS.

That's my $0.02

Not a bad deal as long as all that work actually was done. Plugs and coils are probably the most common issues on these cars along with the plastic cooling components going bad.

I personally would also keep saving and find an 06, or even me personally I would look for a second gen. They seem to be a tad less problematic. (03-06). The hydraulic pump for the fans on the 00-02's are a common problem too. 2nd gens have the electric fan which rarely has ever had an issue.

Hey so first let me start by saying I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I don't post in the right area or haven't introduced myself properly. I currently own a '16 MKZ and a '96 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC and I'm wanting to purchase a LS. I've always wanted one but couldn't afford them and I've heard so many bad things about them that I kind of stayed away from it. So I'm currently looking to buy one and think I may have found one that is within my budget and looks pretty clean. It is on Craigslist. Its a 01 LS V8 with 111K miles on it which I think is pretty good. It has the power moonroof but no cd player from what I can see in the pics. Don't know what other options it has since I haven't seen it yet. But as far as work performed the guy told me it has new ball joints inner outer tie rods sway bar bushing sway bar links front and rear new also has new valve cover gaskets new plugs and coils. He's asking $2500. It needs a clock spring which is why the abs light is on he tells me. Other than that he says it's clean with clear title and ready to go.

What do you all think? Good deal? Should I be looking for things when I go and take a look at it?

No maintenance records available as he says he's a mechanic so im assuming he's did his own work. Im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

If I could I would definitely spring for the second generation. But my budget is only about 2k and that particular LS is $2500. I prefer the gen2 myself seeing that it has more power in the v8 and more refinement but I will get the Gen1 if it has been maintained since again it is only a second car and my new MKZ has all the bells and whistles. The only thing I would do to this car would be to upgrade the stereo system...I haven't found any Gen2 models for my budget. If there is anyone on the forum that knows of someone selling one that is near the Chicagoland area or within a few hours I would be willing but they usually go for $5k and up....

if you buy a $2k LS, you can pretty much bet on dropping at least that in basic repairs in maintenance to keep it on the road.

so if I were you, I'd either raise your budget, or find a different car... there are a lot of reliable cars can be bought got two grand, the LS rarely is one of them.

also nothing about the ABS system has to do with the clock spring... so its got an ABS problem that the guy has no clue about whats causing it, and also has other problems leading the guy to believe the clock spring is bad... the systems that can be effected by the clock spring are the horn, steering wheel audio controls, cruise controls, or the air bag itself.

Actually thats what he said....the steering wheel controls, cruise control etc....

And as far as raising the budget from experience that doesn't mean that a particular car won't have any problems even if I bought a $4k or $5k LS. Well taken care of seems to be the answer. I learned that with the Mark VIII i bought. Bought a Gen1 for more than it was probably worth and still had to spend alot on repairs just because that was the nature of the car...Lincolns in general are known for having alot of issues honestly. From the Continentals down to the Mark VIII and LS...only car that seem to run forever is the Town Car. I realize that Im going to put work into the LS....pretty much a given just trying to see where I should start. With a limited budget the car I saw on CL didn't seem like a bad place to start.

just saying... all the new member that talk about how bad or sh!tty their cars are, are usually because they bought very cheap ones that had a lot wrong with them... if the car was in such great shape, then it would be worth more and should not be selling so cheap...

If I could I would definitely spring for the second generation. But my budget is only about 2k and that particular LS is $2500. ...

Then this will end in tears. If you are buying a 2K LS, you need a budget of at least 4K.
The ABS problem has nothing whatsoever to do with the failed clockspring.

The LS is/was a great car, much more so the 2nd generation. The problem is that you are only going to get the worn out and poorly cared for ones at $2K. There are some good ones still out there. I have two of them. However, I could never get what they are worth to me if I sold them. This means that when I do sell them, they will be worn out and you wouldn't want them. One big catch to remember with the LS is that it has very few parts that are common to other cars. Many of its unique parts haven't been made for years now, and there is no longer any stock on a whole bunch of them. The majority of the few aftermarket parts that do exist are junk. This will not be like keeping your Mark going.

Ok so if that is the case what budget should I be looking at....because it basically seems that I'm hearing not to buy any Gen1s.......I've seen not too many Gen1 for over 3 grand anywhere as the value just isn't there just like I realized with my Mark VIII i would love to sell it for close to 4k but that's a false reality....its worth around 2gs maybe $2500 tops....and I have the red on blk LSC combo which was pretty rare for the Gen1. Can any of you point me to a car that would be a great starting point. Again im not looking for perfect as all used cars over 10 years especially luxury cars need work. I realized that when I bought my first RWD car a 07 CTS.

Also for what it's worth the comment that it wont be like my Mark VIII....umm if you're saying parts are no longer available then yes it is....thats what im running into with that. Since mine was made in '96 Lincoln decided to make alot of 1 year only parts and many aren't around anymore....found that out when i went to replace the VMRC module...and had to buy 3 because since they were used they went out after buying them or were junk to begin with.

Appreciate anyone's help. :p

Personally, I would only look for 2006, or maybe 2005 V8 (all 2006 are V8). A look at the ads in your area should give you a good idea of the price range. Whatever you find, you still need to have at least $2k more set aside for immediate repairs after you get it. You'll probably need more than that if you detect any problems on the test drive.

Tires - good ones are about $1K for four.
Transmission - common issues are about $1k (fluid, solenoid assembly, shift kit). A beaten one may need servos and servo bores or full rebuild/replacement.
Engine - $500 for coils and plugs. $500 to $900 for cooling system.
Suspension parts - adds up quick. If the shocks are bad, you are SOL. The aftermarket shocks are worse than worn out factory shocks. Factory shocks no longer exist.

Get the VIN and look up the options here: http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=6B3EFDF96D6F0E794841883292DAA8FF.eccvas508

I wouldn't buy a Gen I simply because of the hydraulic fan and especially the timing chain tensioner problems. I own 2 Gen 2s and I like them both. don-ohio :)^)

here is the link for the car that I was looking at....had been talking to the owner for a few days back and forth

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5790512921.html

Hmmmm....

lost my drivers license...Has 110k on it will trade for SUV

Why would someone without a drivers license want an SUV??

IMHO, NOT well cared for. He uses the hood as a table?? That shows the lack of respect he has for the car's paint. What else does he store on top of the car? What does he store inside?

DO NOT buy a 2001 (or 2000) unless you can confirm its build date is AFTER May 15 2001. Thats off the vin or door sticker.

Why? I bought a 2001 LS'C' (yes I will have to share what that means or you can search here), and found out the hard way. The jag timing chain issue means it will break, if it hadnt already. It can be fixed to post May 2001, but that means serious money and thats up to you. Beyond that, really, IMO the benefit of a post 2003 gen 2 is significant, but if for some reason you like a Gen 1 go for it.

Anyone that needs info on the conversion, mine is in process, so contact me PM.

Lol No I asked the question myself as I said the same thing, he wants the SUV for wifey so he was willing to trade for it. He told me he lost his license. And as far as the things he had on the hood, he was tinting the window himself....so those are just the supplies he put on top of the car....seems reasonable. I'm not tripping about that as the exterior looks pretty good. No major dents or scratches from what I can see. I've been guilty a plenty of times for putting things like boxes bags on cars when I shouldn't and I'm a car nut. So im more worried about the mechanical.

He told me how hard it was to do the valve cover gaskets and basically rebuilt the front end.

I did ask for the VIN number so that I can check and will update once he sends that to me.

The clock spring is a common thing btw, any of the years. Mine just popped this week. It is also worth checking the code (number of times it flashes) as another common point is the connector to the drivers seat breaks - and then it may not be the clock spring. Thread on here on that one and how to self repair.

Just what I have read on here joe. Maybe I didnt look close enough at the years..........

I wouldn't buy a Gen I simply because of the hydraulic fan and especially the timing chain tensioner problems. I own 2 Gen 2s and I like them both. don-ohio :)^)

Cool ... care to share some pics ?

You guys are gonna force me to learn how to post pics? Okay,maybe I'll be able soon. I have to get thru these 4 , 12 hr. nightshifts at the nuke plant first. That means I ain't free until Mon AM and I'm usually sleeping that morning. don-ohio :)^)

Sure sure sure, careful with that nose there Pinocchio.

Boy when you get a wrong-headed idea you go all the way,don't you,BR? LOL! don-ohio :)^)

So i was told this is a 01 LS but it has a build date of 11/17/99....how can that be? I wonder then if it's actually a 00 and not 01. Also have the VIN number. He mentioned that this was his 3rd LS and that he also replaced the timing belt tensioner.

Members online

No members online now.
Back