Buying a 1998 or 99 Cartier

badbolr

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my wife's 97 Cad Dev Concours with a used Cartier Town car. In light of all the common [shoulda been recall] problems on my 97-98 Mk VIIIs, I have to ask the question.... does the TC share these problems, i.e blend door, tranny shudder, warped rotors, etc? Or, are there some other common TC problems I should be looking for? Lastly, are there any known 1998 TC issues [first year of this body style] that were worked out in 99 and beyond, making it worth my while to skip the 98 model? Thanks a bunch

My 2002 has not even given one problem when it came out of the dealership when I bought it new and now I have about 47000 miles. I don't know about any problem with the 98 except the Cruise control. It has a problem of not shutting the system.

98 towncar

My 98 towncar signature (when I have time and learn how to post a picture of it here I will) , that I purchased off the original owner with 69,000 miles on it, has been a great car. The only problem was with the brake light switch that had to be replaced 3 times before the problem was resolved. Part of the problem was that one of the brake light switch was faulty and there was some kind of a wiring problem caused by a previous repair job done by original owner's mechanic. Today I had the airconditioning system purged and replaced with coolant due to a leak on one of the springs in the AC system. It's spitting ice cubes now. Other than that, oil and transmission maintenance and the car runs great. It's comfortable - I use it daily having put 30,000 mi on it in the last 15 months. I love my towncar and it can race too! I'm old, but not that old....have fun! Beflat10r

i have a 98 cartier that i had to replace the engine at 82,000 miles with a new one, replaced the intake at 98,000 no problems since
currently at 118,000

Town Car problems: Blend door, yes. Tranny or brake problems, no. Very reliable vehicle, go for any 98+ (preferaly 01+ if your budget allows)

EDIT: However, I should mention that if the 4.6 has the old style fully plastic intake, they are prone to cracking (that's why I recomended the 01+. They upgraded to hybrid plastic/ aluminum). It's an easy fix, and now Ford is reimbursing and correcting the problem for free via court order...

evillally said:
Town Car problems: Blend door, yes. Tranny or brake problems, no. Very reliable vehicle, go for any 98+ (preferaly 01+ if your budget allows)

EDIT: However, I should mention that if the 4.6 has the old style fully plastic intake, they are prone to cracking (that's why I recomended the 01+. They upgraded to hybrid plastic/ aluminum). It's an easy fix, and now Ford is reimbursing and correcting the problem for free via court order...

are you sure ford is replacng it for free now? they told me it was for law enforcement & limo & taxi services

This is handy to know. I haven't had a problem yet, but I own a '97 and a '99 so it might rear its ugly head. Also, what is blend door. I'm not familiar with this term. Thanks!

badbolr said:
I'm thinking of replacing my wife's 97 Cad Dev Concours with a used Cartier Town car. In light of all the common [shoulda been recall] problems on my 97-98 Mk VIIIs, I have to ask the question.... does the TC share these problems, i.e blend door, tranny shudder, warped rotors, etc? Or, are there some other common TC problems I should be looking for? Lastly, are there any known 1998 TC issues [first year of this body style] that were worked out in 99 and beyond, making it worth my while to skip the 98 model? Thanks a bunch

We purchased my wife's '99 new and the only problem we ever had was transmission related. The transmission would shudder between the first to second gear shift. Lincoln replaced the transmission and the problem has never returned. That was at 28,000 miles. The car now has 51,000 miles on it and still rides and drives like new. I recommend the Town Car highly. We've been driving them since 1979 with virtually no real issues.

Also, what is blend door

It's part of the HVAC air conditioning system. If you turn-on your AC and get nothing but hot air, you actuator is broken. They only cost around $20, but you must remove the dash to replace!

This is handy to know. I haven't had a problem yet, but I own a '97 and a '99 so it might rear its ugly head. Also, what is blend door. I'm not familiar with this term. Thanks!

So if I went to the dealer they would be required to give me a new intake? Is this true?

My mom loves her 2000 cartier 49k miles. Only had to replace the blower motor within the past year of ownership.

Ford told me they wont replace the intake after 7 years after the original warranty..... mine just cracked on my 97. :(

I've got one that looks to be in perfect shape as far as I can tell.

Name a price.

Came off a '98 Crown Vic. Make sure it fits first if you want it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back