Busted Power steering something?

Webtickler

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys, I have a 2001 LS V8 sport, car has 100,900 miles, well as i was driving through my parking garage at work and hit a speed bump, when i turned it started making loud winding noise when i turn, well i finally parked i see a fluid trail from where i just drove, I opened the hood and notice that all the power steering fluid was gone, my question is, is safe to drive it like this, so i can get it out the parking garage and to a mechanic? and thanks in advance for any help.

driving without fluid in the power steering system will ruin the power steering pump and likely hurt the rack.

It would be extremely hard to drive - hard to turn the wheel - making it rather dangerous to be around other vechiles.

can you tell if you just knocked a hose off?

driving without fluid in the power steering system will ruin the power steering pump and likely hurt the rack.

It would be extremely hard to drive - hard to turn the wheel - making it rather dangerous to be around other vechiles.

can you tell if you just knocked a hose off?

I could not really tell, I just looked quickly and had to get to work. have any idea and what it would cost me to fix?

no idea until you can tell where the leak is from.

if a hose fell off - $40

if you cracked the rack casing, knocked a seal out, ....etc - $400 in parts, $500 in labour

Well just got word that the powersteering pump has gone out, anyone know how hard it would be to change it out? or would i be better off just having a mechanic do it?

depend how handy you are.....

It's not that hard - but it is in a tight spot to get to.

Members online

Back