Broke A Wheel Stud.

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ironically, while driving to get new tires put on my car, I got a flat. I had to dig through all the crap in my trunk to get to the spare and I changed it without incident. I was careful to center the wheel and spin the lug nuts on with my fingers before giving them a final twist with the wrench. I intentionally didn't apply a lot of torque because the spare was coming back off in a few minutes anyway. I know the threads weren't crossed because, as I said, I ran the nuts all the way down with only my fingers. However, with the car on the lift, the nut just refused to come off and the stud snapped. I don't suppose this is something my warranty covers? I can put in a new stud, but if I don't have to, I'm at the age where I'm not inclined to crawl around under my car anymore.

If you're still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it should be covered. If you have an ESP plan, you'll need to check the warranty plan details.

SoonerLS said:
If you're still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it should be covered. If you have an ESP plan, you'll need to check the warranty plan details.

Yes...still under bumper to bumper. That's cool...I wasn't looking forward to clearing the cobwebs off my toolbox.

If your warranty covers it then you're all set. For people like me whose warranty doesn't cover it, it is something you can do with very little effort. I havn't changed a back one, but the front one I had done in about 10 minutes after the dealership took 2 days to get the replacement stud ordered for me. Didn't even have to get under the car, so if anyone feels like directions, let me know.

I have never replaced one on the LS, but I just changed one last weekend on the GP... It took maybe a half hour. I put it on a jack stand, pulled off the caliper and rotor, then banged the old one out with a hammer. New one was tapped in with a hammer from behind and then pulled in the rest of the way with the rotor on and a lug. caliper goes on, then the wheel and you are done.

Real fast work if you have an air ratchet and speed jack.

I don't really like anyone, especially dealers (Idiots), to touch my cars.

Replacing a stud is pretty straight forward...my only concern was whether or not I had to remove the hub. That one-time-use spline nut was a real problem for me on my T-Bird SC. I replaced it several times and it always wanted to back off. So, if I don't have to disturb that little sucker, I'd rather not.

on the LS it is pretty easy - thankfully ....

I replaced three last weekend..... (that's a total of 11....)

- Jack up the car
- remove the tire
- spin the hub to allow the stud clear access to come out from behind. the fronts are easy, the rears come out through a hole in the spindle mounting.
- take a punch and hammer out the broken stud
- put the new one in place
- tighten into place with a lug nut
- remove lug nut, replace wheel, tighen

Quik LS said:

- Jack up the car
- remove the tire
- spin the hub to allow the stud clear access to come out from behind. the fronts are easy, the rears come out through a hole in the spindle mounting.

Thanks for the step-by-step. I probably would have figured it out after making a few dozen mistakes. You saved me a lot of time.

I made an attempt at replacing the wheel stud and gave up after an hour or two looking for a way to get access. I called my dealership back and asked how much they'd want to do the job and found out the first guy I spoke to was misinformed or didn't realize my car was still under warranty...either way I didn't think it was something the warranty would cover anyhow. The service rep told me to bring it right in...it's covered. Since it was late in the afternoon, he said he probably couldn't get to it till the next day and I found that was totally reasonable. They had a free rental Explorer waiting, I drove off and got a call back in less than two hours telling me the car was done and I could pick it up any time I wanted. This isn't the first time this dealership has provided me with such outstanding service. I just thought I'd give them a slap on the back here. Malouf Lincoln Mercury in North Brunswick, N.J. Thanks for reading.

Quik LS said:

- Jack up the car
- remove the tire

Quik, I have a stud on the front wheel that I pounded out through the back, but CAN NOT get the new stud in. It goes in on an angle no matter which position the hub is in. Does the steering wheel need to be turned in any direction to help out?

normally - I just get in there a little - and then use the lug nut mounting tightening to pull it up into place. I then re-tighten it after a day.

btw - I just broke another on this weekend.... that's 12.

Members online

No members online now.
Back