Braking in the Mark 8

Merk1n_Season

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I not sure if this has been discussed or not, it probably has. As you all ready know i just bought a 1998 Mark Viii just recently. It is my daily driver.I love it so far but for some reason i feel that when i press the brakes it feels like it takes a long time to stop. When i bought it from seller he had duralast brake pads and regular rotors on it. Could it be that the brand duralast sucks or I jus need to opt for drilled and slotted rotors with a good brand of ceramic brake pads.:shifty:

Duralast pads make baby Jesus cry...

Yeah change em out with some ceramics. Rotors are up to you, I prefer D/S , but youll have a hard time finding a place to machine them with your next brake job

I got mine from Brake Motive and they have a LT warranty. My next set of pads will be EBC Reds

^That's a good setup. I ran posi-quiet ceramic pads and R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors on all 4 corners, and it made a noticeable difference on my '93 Mark. I would highly recommend this for the bang for your buck factor (assuming everything's still reasonably priced; I got mine way back in 05 or 06, but they were a really good value back then at least).

yea i have used posi quiet on my mazda rx8 and i was pleased with them so ill probably go with them again.

Drilled and slotted rotors are prone to cracking. Dimpled and slotteds are a better choice. I want to get Powerslot rotors for my GT next brake job. And hopefully the Mark if they make em.

On a stock Mark do all four wheels interchange brake pads or are they front/back specific. The book is so far away in my car in the cold.

:)

I not sure if this has been discussed or not, it probably has. As you all ready know i just bought a 1998 Mark Viii just recently. It is my daily driver.I love it so far but for some reason i feel that when i press the brakes it feels like it takes a long time to stop. When i bought it from seller he had duralast brake pads and regular rotors on it. Could it be that the brand duralast sucks or I jus need to opt for drilled and slotted rotors with a good brand of ceramic brake pads.:shifty:

Small rotors and weak one-piston calipers are mostly to blame. Our brakes are TINY considering the weight of the car. A Cobra brake conversion is the best option. Other ideas presented here will improve the condition. I second the idea of slotted as opposed to drilled. You still want to retain as much surface area as possible on your rotors for braking power. If you are not in the market for Cobra brakes, I would try the EBC pads with slotted rotors. I have heard of a few that have done this with good improvement and at least one of these guys has a pretty quick modified all motor Mark8 that frequents the drag strip.

You need some of these...

blogger-image--751948511.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Try using a good rotor and pad, making sure there isnt any codes stored with the abs, or air in the lines.

I upgraded to bigger front and rear rotors, cobra dual piston calipers, stainless lines, and hubswapped and still feel I need larger front brakes...will be upgrading to 14" rotors with bigger front brakes down the road. The cars feels as this setup I am currently running should have been STOCK.

No regrets, but 14" Big brake upgrades are where its at....

2011-09-26_20-11-23_275.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back