Brake Sqeal - new brakes

zero18

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
changed my rotors and ceramic pads last night.
today my brakes are squealing when I stop at slower speeds..
my question is.. is there a special place I need to add anti-squeal to?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=anti...7KsQTwpIDgBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1335&bih=826

did you wipe down the rotors with brake cleaner spray prior to install?

brakecleanerfromupholstry.jpg

brakecleanerfromupholstry.jpg

Also, did you bed them in? Roughly 10 stops fairly aggressive from 45-10. Makes a good mating between the teo

You should apply a high temperature grease to any area on the pad that will come in contact with metal. Usually on the side tabs that slide on the caliper and on the pad backing plate. Clean the caliper and mounting bracket with brake cleaner before applying grease. I normally use high temp bearing grease. Works great.

Ceramic pads will squeal until warmed up. I have ceramics and they squeal on the first two stops until they are warmed.

There is also some Chevy orange goop you can put on the back of the brake pads that will help with noise. I use it on every brake job, never have noise.

crc-disc-brake-quiet-4-oz-3.jpg

Also, did you bed them in? Roughly 10 stops fairly aggressive from 45-10. Makes a good mating between the teo

When doing this, it is important not to stop completely each time, instead just slow down to a 10 MPH or so.

When doing this, it is important not to stop completely each time, instead just slow down to a 10 MPH or so.

THIS!

Mine squealed for a few days before they quieted down. No noise at all after that.

Ive used ceramic, semi-metallic, and non asbestos organic pads before. Ive never had an issue with noise. When I bought the LS, the brakes were squealing. I took a look and they were almost new. I took them off, and sure enough, they were dry all around. I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, lubed everything up, and put them back in. No issues since.

Remember that when brakes squeal, its usually caused by metal to metal contact, such as the pad sliding on the bracket or the wear sensor touching the rotor. It can also be caused by vibration, which is what creates sound. By wiping down the backing plate with a layer of grease, you minimize the possibility of the pad vibrating on the caliper since the grease will act like a cushion.

Members online

Back