Brake scare

ShoogDoog

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have an '04 LSE, 67k miles. Was driving yesterday, no problems. Then, approaching an intersection I stepped on the brake pedal and it went almost all the way to the floor and there was no braking action.:eek: I said a few choice words, let off the pedal, tried again and it worked fine. After that one time the problem hasn't happened again. Fluid level is good and I don't see anything wrong visually.

Now there's a little doubt whenever I drive it. I've had total brake failure in the past ('65 Econoline and '54 pickup) but never seen this before. Any ideas on this one?

Ed

Try bleeding your brakes but it may be a master cylinder going bad.

You need to replace your master cylinder, yesterday. I wouldn't drive it until I did.

You need to replace your master cylinder, yesterday.

well getting up to 88 miles an hour isn't a problem, but getting enough plutonium might be. ROFL

all joking aside, you dont want to fukc around with a car that might not have any brakes when you need them, fix it ASAP

Mine started off the same way with it just happening once, and then it started happening all the time, and it was the master cylinder.

Oh wow, no im scared a little. Mine did something like that a couple months ago. It was a really hot day and i had my car loaded with friends. I stepped on the brakes and the petal just sunk to the floor. I got out and checked the fluid and it all looked fine. Ive been driving it ever since and nothing else has happened. I don't know what to do.

A question has arisen. Taking the car to the Ford dealership next week for master cylinder replacement; hate to do it, but I don't have the time to do it myself. I checked with the dealer about the cost: about $190 in labor and $340(!!!) for the MC. The dealer said I could buy it elsewhere and they would install, but...

Can't find one out there for use with AdvanceTrac. NAPA has a MC for $129, but it is not for use with AdvanceTrac and the NAPA guy said I'd have to get it from Ford. Is this correct as far as anybody knows?

Maybe I'm getting old, but that is one expensive master cylinder, man.

Well, unless you're dead, like me you are getting older. Yes, prices are that high for various car parts. If you think that your heart can take it, look up the new cost for the ABS module.

Well, I'm waiting for Max from Five Star from the link on the first page on this site to get back to me. If there's no big difference, I'll just have to go for it at the local dealer. I just figured it's worth a look around.

BTW, Joe, been meaning to thank you for clarifying the warranty situation on the COPs for me. A while back I had posted that the dealer charged me $330(!) for changing one coil and plug, telling me that it was not covered. Your additional info got me my $ back on that one.:) So now I can spend the $330 on a frigging master cylinder.:( Maybe I'm sort of breaking even. It is a great car overall, despite the cost of parts.

I think I'll hold off looking up the cost for the ABS right now. Maybe I'll wait 'til after my next fish oil pill.

Members online

Back