Brake pads?

jcavz24x

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Im going to need brake pads pretty soon? What kind do you all use and where do you buy them?
Anyone use low-dust pads?

Chris

Porterfield Racing Pads (R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross) dustless

very happy with them.

Kevlar - Ceramic blend

So if i get these pads, all i would need to do is get the rotors cut?
Where did you get them? Do they last pretty long?

I am a moderate driver and vary on the braking from short to long and I have gotten a long way with mine.

don't understand your question. why would you need to get your rotors cut?

by cut do you mean re-surfaced?

you only need to re-grind ('turn') the rotors if you let the last pads go too far and gouge the surface of the rotor itself. if not - just swap the pads.

weight replacing the stock rotors over the cost to turn them

Quik LS said:
you only need to re-grind ('turn') the rotors if you let the last pads go too far and gouge the surface of the rotor itself. if not - just swap the pads.

weight replacing the stock rotors over the cost to turn to turn them

Also might need to turn the rotors if they have a large ridge around the outside from long wear. If your brakes pulsate, your rotors might be warped and also need a turning. Note that turning the rotors takes off material which allows them to get hotter which cause warping, so turning a warped rotor can become a viscious cycle. That is why many mechanics advise against turning unless you must.

The way I decide is 1) Does it pulsate? 2) Can I feel any ridges on the running surface with my fingernail and thumb? 3) Is the ridge at the edge of the rotor high enough that the caliper is hard to remove? If I get no on all these, I just clean the rotors with brake cleaner.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Quik LS said:
Porterfield Racing Pads (R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross) dustless

very happy with them.

Kevlar - Ceramic blend

:I I also run with these pads love them so far.

-Scott-

Me personally Id prefer to cut the rotors. I cut at least 8 rotors a day and most of them seem true but over time with heat and constant friction they warp. sometimes not enough to feel in the pedal. alot of times not cutting also causes the new pads to squeal.

If you drive your LS on the track for open track events, etc., don't turn your rotors. They'll just warp if you are using your brakes as hard as you should be. I also use Porterfield R4S pads. I think they're great for everything but races.

I went with the bosch ceramics, have had good luck in the past. About $30.00 cheaper then the porter. Works for me as this is my daily highway driver.

Differance between stock is night and day. As for turning the rotors, i didnt have that option, mine were warped from discount tire not torquing properly (many autopart chains will loan you a torque wrench with a deposit if you dont have one). Rotors were only a few dollars more then turning.

Price on pads?? My buddy told me that his Raybestos are great with no dust and are pretty good priced...

Porterfield Pads - R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross

Front AP805 $ 89.95
Rear AP806 $ 69.95

Members online

Back