brake pads

Onefreshls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
hey im looking to change my pads im not happy with them i first had the ebc reds they sucked then i put factorys back on not really happy with them i wont somthing that will give me a nice bite i have the ebc slotted rotors. i was thinking of either axis pads or stoptech pads or akebono pads what do you guys think

I had a similar question a few months ago. I took the advice and went with the Duralast ceramic pads and a set of Napa Rotors. Have not really driven the car a lot but they feel great for what my needs are.

I'm looking at pads myself but I want to cheap out, the question is how cheap can I or should I go rockauto seems to have great prices.

Anyone have any experience with wearever gold from advanceautoparts.

I got Akebono Euro's. They solved my lackluster centric pad issues and they don't dust the wheels ANYWHERE near as bad as the factory ones. I am happy :)

Can't say they were cheap though. Around $150 or so for a full set if you can find them. I bought mine through Amazon.

I'm looking at pads myself but I want to cheap out, the question is how cheap can I or should I go rockauto seems to have great prices.

You want to "cheap out" on something that stops almost 2 tons of steel?

You don't "cheap out" on tires, brakes, shoes, mattress' or pillows. There may be other items of equal importance.

I had my fronts done about 6 months ago at my local mechanic. I'm pretty sure he probably used either NAPA or CarQuest parts. New rotors and ceramic pads, parts & labor were $256. It stops absolutely great with no issues.

I'm not saying I'm planing on stuffing tin foil under the calipers, however there are high performance pads then there are cheaper pads then there are cheap pads. I'm looking for one between cheaper and cheap.
Obviously OP is going in the opposite direction, so is there anyone that used both the high end and mid/low end ones and having used them both have you felt a very noticeable difference.

Punch a hole thru your floor and use your feet I hear they are real good and have great bite and will last for ever and you should like them and they are good and you should be happy especially with the slotted rotors.

I installed Napa Adaptive One pads and Napa rotors in May 2009 and my front brakes already need to be replaced. I have driven with that set up less than 40,000 miles. Not really happy about the performance of that set-up. I will be changing them out to something different this weekend.

marcredd: Which Duralast pads did you go with??

I'm not saying I'm planing on stuffing tin foil under the calipers, however there are high performance pads then there are cheaper pads then there are cheap pads. I'm looking for one between cheaper and cheap.
Obviously OP is going in the opposite direction, so is there anyone that used both the high end and mid/low end ones and having used them both have you felt a very noticeable difference.

The cheaper you go the mor you'll be changing them thus negating any savings. You can buy organic pads for ~$25 per axle. They will last maybe 12K miles. One of the constants of life is you get what you pay for. You should be able to get a quality set of pads for under $75 per axle.

There are some places where you really can't save money, you can just alter when you have to pay it.
Your lowest cost per mile with decent performance will be the OEM pads. Ford already did the calculations on that.

I installed Napa Adaptive One pads and Napa rotors in May 2009 and my front brakes already need to be replaced. I have driven with that set up less than 40,000 miles. Not really happy about the performance of that set-up. I will be changing them out to something different this weekend.

marcredd: Which Duralast pads did you go with??

Gold Cmax....

I got Akebono Euro's. They solved my lackluster centric pad issues and they don't dust the wheels ANYWHERE near as bad as the factory ones. I am happy :)

Can't say they were cheap though. Around $150 or so for a full set if you can find them. I bought mine through Amazon.

Are you talking about the posi quiet?

I got the ceramics and theres nothing quiet about them. I thought about the stoptech pads along with the ss lines for my next brake upgrade...but with the same rotors.

I got the ceramics and theres nothing quiet about them. I thought about the stoptech pads along with the ss lines for my next brake upgrade...but with the same rotors.

These were jsut the centri posi-quiet metallic. They weren't that great. The Akebono euro's are much better.

Same experience. Absolutely nothing quiet about them.

Same experience. Absolutely nothing quiet about them.

I have been waiting for them to quiet down but its already been a good 500 miles.

They bite well and dont make much dust but they are noisy compared to the previous pads.

What are you going to replace them with??

I was going to go with EBC red but read of others that was disappointed, I went with Autozone Gold Cmax and Duralast rotors, I have about 2k on them, must say I'm impressed, good cold bite, great warm bite, no noise, and little to none brake dust and wear. I went with new rotors because of past experience of warping after turning, cost about $10 more per wheel than having them turned.

You want to "cheap out" on something that stops almost 2 tons of steel?

You don't "cheap out" on tires, brakes, shoes, mattress' or pillows. There may be other items of equal importance.

I like how you thre that in :lol:

My last set were porterfields, I think thats the name. I can't say much about them because I installed them and shortly, maybe 3 weeks, took my car off the road. Paid ~160. They will be going up for sale soon, my prices are usually on the cheaper side so keep an eye out.

How's that big brake kit coming along?? If it's too much I'll just buy a set of oem calipers and get them powder coated with new pads and the lines.

I dont know the cost of the bbk yet, I'll ask. Things kept pushing the brakes from being installed, but, singing the same song here, it looks like its close to being completed.

I have been waiting for them to quiet down but its already been a good 500 miles.

They bite well and dont make much dust but they are noisy compared to the previous pads.

What are you going to replace them with??

I haven't had any problems with them except for the noise. I'm not sure what I will use as a replacement yet since they are stil pretty new. Instead of spending money for something better I'm just gonna stick it out and pretend I don't hear anything.

Members online

Back