Bought my first Mark 8 today.

jake.conlee

LVC Member
Reaction score
Since 1993, this car has haunted me. I grew up in a Chevy loving family. We had a Vega drag car. I remember seeing the article in Hot Rod where they took a bone stock Mk8, slapped some salt tires and modded the trans, it went 180. I remember the steel bar commercial, and then Ford decided that the 4V Lincoln motor was the best offering they have. A cobra in a leisure suit.

I got a 1996 Mark 8 LSC with 82k miles and the only problems I see are the paint, the blend doors making noise, the tach doesn't work, and the turn signals. Other than that, the air ride is in good order, windows, sunroof, seats all work good brakes, rubber and belts. Smells of oil through the vents, no smoking or leaks though.

Its going to be my DD until the Audis get out of the shop. I know a lot about.these cars, but I am completely new to this. I am looking to gain knowledge from all of you that have been doing this with this car much longer than I. Thanks in advance. Go ahead and offer advice, what to look for, what to do.

uploadfromtaptalk1414100886291.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414100918713.jpg

Since you posted in the Performance section, I'll presume you're wondering about mods...

Gears, trac-lok, exhaust and a tune is the first step.

Awesome. Yes, this is what im looking for. This car will not remain stock for very long. Any recommendations for places? Going to build an open road race/ speed week car. Did all Mk8s come with an open rear end? Is it correct that LSC have 3.27 stock?

What is the difference between LSC and normal? Are there any definitive ways of telling for sure? Or just a VIN search would do the trick? Thanks, driller

perforated seats.
true dual exhaust.
deleted bumper and molding chrome trim.
3.27 gearing.
HID headlights on 1 gens.
monochrome front grill, headlight trim, and tail light trim on 2nd gens.
10 hp bump
LSC badging

It has true dual and HIDs and chromeless bumpers. And the badge. I'll check out the seats. The man I bought it from was probably 85, so it may actually be a real LSC

Perforated seats, check.. looks like trac lok, gears and exhaust with tuning are next. Thanks for the help, guys. Im in las Vegas any recommendations for tuning and such in my corner of the country?

Trac-Lock will be identified (if equipped from the factory) by the letter L in the bottom line of the axle buck tag (attached to the differential rear housing by one of the cover bolts). IF it were truly Trac-Lock, it would read 3L27 (space) 88 (space) four or five build digits. The first 4 digits of the lower line of code are gear ratio and whether it is Trac-Lock equipped.

Yes, that is indeed a 3.73 Trac-Lock 8.8".

3L73 88 is the proper code for that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back