Blown intake. What could cause this?

Sarge

LVC Member
Reaction score
'01 LS8 with 113k miles. Was running fine the last time I drove it. Went to start it and there was a loud bang and lots of smoke. Car was towed to dealership and they said that the intake was blown. What would cause this? I don't want to dump a grand into a new intake if there is something more serious that caused this to happen in the first place.

Thanks,
Sarge

No. I went up there and looked at the intake and it appears fine. I'm guessing that it was actually the intake gasket that blew? It is a damn plastic intake so who really knows

Before anything tell them to give you all the details of what the problem is in writing. Come back here and post up what it is and I'm sure you can get some help/ideas from there.

Maybe the intake cam? Something went on that? I've never heard of a blown intake besides from adding a supercharger on top..

Maybe the intake cam? Something went on that? I've never heard of a blown intake besides from adding a supercharger on top..

I've heard of the plastic at the end blowing off before, from a backfire I assume.

I've heard of the plastic at the end blowing off before, from a backfire I assume.

one of my guy's had this happen with his escape, started it up and heard a loud pop, blew a fist sized hole in the plastic intake, dealer couldn't explain how it happened. so i guess it could happen to a LS.

when working on my LS this weekend, I had to remove my intake. Noticed that one of the hoses that slips over one of the molded plastic nipples on the intake was loose. Turns out the plastic nipple has snapped inside the hose. May want to check that

you should see a huge loss of vacuum at idle if it's a seal (or the end cap). normally you should see 18-22hg (about -10psi) at idle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back