blown head gasket?

remark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, to start off, i have been getting a low coolant message, even though the tank is full. i figured it was just the float switch and was planning on getting to it soon.
this morning on the highway, i notice that my engine temp is all the way up, get a engine temp message, so i slow to 45, and try to make it the rest of the way to work( like a mile) weird thing is i get a second message that says "temp read error" and the thermostat goes all the way to cold, then goes way hot and does the same thing again. i get off the highway and the car dies as i come to a stop.
had it towed, and talked to a guy at the shop (im good with these guys) and he says that since the car actually dies, thats probably all bad. if the car overheated, but stayed running, he would have said something with the thermostat something or other.

im really at a loss here. i have just dumped a TON of money into suspension components and air ride equipment, not to mention brand new tires and other stuff.

anyone have any input here? if it is the head gasket, i can absolutely not afford to fix it, and will probably be forced to use my dads GM voucher for a *gasp* chevy aveo. i cannot bring myself to drive that casket.

any suggestions?

one more thing, last night i was getting cold air out of my vents, but it turned hot eventually. this morning, it stayed cold, i just figured id have to do the blend door AGAIN, but apparently its much worse

Last edited:
for starters, be sure to check the temp gauge sensor. weird to swing back and forth like that..
then check for air in the cooling system.
then check for cracked vacuum lines, i had one crack and it overheated on my way to school.
and a big vac leak could cause it to die at idle.

well, its at the shop now, they wont be able to get to it until tuesday.
temp guage sensor is what the guy thought it would have been if the car was not dying like that.
vacuum leak is possible, i dont know a whole lot about that side of things.
thanks for the reply

Did you notice white smoke from the tail pipes. What about the plugs have they all been checked for coolant. When my head gasket went it smoked real bad white. However the car would run and drive. It also warped the head. I think my issue was stretched head bolts more than gasket failure.NOS

htrdlincoln98, there was smoke, but it was about 20 degrees outside when all this was going on.
dieseldan, yes coolant was in the tank

htrdlincoln98, there was smoke, but it was about 20 degrees outside when all this was going on.
dieseldan, yes coolant was in the tank

There would be a whole bunch of smoke.

i didnt notice a ton of smoke but i wasnt really looking for it either. id like to think i would notice a ton of smoke coming out the back but i was on the highway.

There's not always alot of smoke, I had a breach at the 7/8 cylinder, once the car was started it would blow the coolant out and smoke a bit as like a cold morning, then it would stop. Best test for a coolant/engine breach is a coolant/exhaust gas test..this consist of hooking a cylinder of fluid to the coolant neck and running the car..if you have a breach, exhaust fumes will be present in the coolant, the fumes turn the test fluid from green to purple.
A cheaper method is to use a basic coolant pressure tester, simply hook the pump and gauge to your coolant bottle (do not pump) and start the car, if it builds pressure, youve got a breach somewhere.
In either case, if you've got a blown head gasket, you'll need the block dropped, and redecked as well as both heads, and new head bolts and obviously both head gaskets, and intake upper and lower gaskets (became that has to come apart too...
In short, if you've got a coolant breach in the motor, buy a new motor

Also, don't forget to check your oil after it's run, if it's milky like chocolate milk...you should know the outcome

These cars have an over-heat safe feature, they don't like being over heated, so if you over heat it will die, and not restart until it's cooled

So no one asked if he has check the fill tube and not the coolant tank. Check the croos tube above the alternator.

Any sign of coolant loss?
Drips under car?

Did you check the plugs for any signs?

Check the simple stuff first.

well now that i think about it, i let the car run for about 10 minutes before i left yesterday, so i would have noticed any smoke.
the car is up at the shop now so i cant really check it out, no drips that i noticed and the coolant tank was nearly all the way full, at about the same level i filled it up to just recently.
it just worries me that the car overheated AND died. thats usuaully bad news

The big difference between cold exh smoke and blown HG exh smoke is the cold exh will dissapear in couple seconds as it rises. The coolant exh will stay a white cloud for a long long time.

These cars have an over-heat safe feature, they don't like being over heated, so if you over heat it will die, and not restart until it's cooled

i completely missed this. this news makes me happy but i am not getting my hopes up

I agree check the easy stuff. Plugs. Oil coolant at cross over, look for leaks. If its smoking you will know it. Mine was all good and quickly while normal driving smoke started and started to loose power. But still run and made it home. The funny thing is I was driving to refill the bottle not actual using it.:) anyways check all the plugs if the coolants exiting thru the exhaust one or more with be wet and smell like unburnt fuel. Good luck its no fun pulling a head in the car. Trust me ben there a few times

Smell like unburned fuel? No, it'll smell like coolant, or water. Pull the 7 and 8 spark plugs first, look into the cylinder with a flash light.. Do they look like this...
31473703.jpg

It's a bad pic without a bore scope, but you can make out the water line in the center

If there's coolant in it, take my experienced advice please, it's not worth the money to do all that work to the motor, just get a used motor and toss it in, then save that block for a rebuild, or sell it for someone else to have a project motor. Even if you strip that block down, it's worth at least $100 as clean aluminum

if the leak of coolant its that much the smoke and plug will smell like fuel and see the two liquids beeding on the plug. if hes got enough coolant to see floating in the ctlinders then i'm guessing that motors not going to turn over. That motors done..

well, there wasnt a crazy ammount of smoke, or much smell so im hoping im ok. i wish i would have known to look for those things, i guess i do now. i wont have a chance to get to the shop to do any troubleshooting on my own, so ill let you guys know what the shop says

My 7 and 8 cylinders both had coolant like in the pic...I cranked it minus those plugs to blow the water out, reinstalled the plugs, added some BlockFix in the coolant and started it up...it drove for about another 6k miles until I decided I had the time to do a motor swap

When the water pump on my 96 seized it started to overheat immediately and it ran really bad. I stopped it before it could stall. Not saying that is the problem, just another possibility and would explain the lack of heat as well.

There is so much happening in this thread from this to that. I've had head gaskets go and know what it does after. But, Since his temp gauge went high then low, then whatever. And then got multiple warnings on the display, I would assume that this is a sensor or wiring issue. If the computer gets mixed readings like this, and the ECU does not know which is up or down, the ECU is supposed to react by shutting down electrical signals as a safety feature.

Safety features do exist to do such a thing. I would tend to believe that this is nothing more than that of the ECU in control of the shutdown once the motor got to a resonable RPM range to protect not only the motor but driver, meaning it did not shutdown at speed, and waited until RPM range dropped as he was coming to a stop. ECU did its job by protecting the motor, especially when the temp guage went to high then back to low cold, and multiple warnings.

Ive seen the temperature go high then low because or air in the system so the sensor is no longer in coolant ?? But never in a Mark. I've never had a overheating problem in any of my Marks. Good Luck. I hope not but I think you are going to need it.

I had a plugged up radiator in my '93 that gave similar symptoms, I never let it heat until it cut off though. Nor did I get errors other than high temp errors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back