Bleeding Cooling system

jdelarmente

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Delano(Home of Record) Im in the military
I have 2000 Lincoln LS V8 and its being a pain because im trying to bleed the cooling system becuase the water outlet that connects to the cylinder heads cracked. Its fixed but now trying to bleed the cooling system is a pain. I am stuck were you let it idle with the heater bleeder valve open becuase i let it idle for 30 mins and i still got no steady stream of coolant. Also when it says "4. Add coolant to the degas bottle allowing the system to equalize until no more coolant can be added" so does it mean keep it at the fill mark or fill up the degas bottle. Thanks in advance so plz let me know if you have bleed your cooling system and clarify these instructions. Im a Mechanic in the Air Force and ive ran into so many different meaning of when it says "until no more can be added" sometimes it means to completely fill the container and others mean to the max mark.

Just keep filling it until you get a dripping/streaming of coolant out of the bleeder hose. (you may need to get the RPMs around 2500)

My bleed hose was clogged with gunk/buildup preventing any coolant to come out and indicate air escaping. So I had air trapped.

Try pulling the bleeder hose off the metal pipe outlet behind the engine, see if coolant is coming out of there, if it is - then your bleeder hose is clogged.

Well i get coolant coming out and i can see air coming out but 30mins seems long to bleed it. I just cant get a steady stream to come out like the instructions say. Ill go out and try it again im just fustrated becuase i have to go back home to CA to drop the car of because im getting stationed in Japan and im driving from Oklahoma and i fixed everything then this happened and now bleeding it is becoming a pain and i want to just take it to the dealer.

You won't get a steady stream per say, you will get a trickling/dripping. The ihgher you get the RPMs up, the more 'stream-like' it should be.

Just run it for a while and see where the temperature gauge is. Bring a bottle of coolant with you. If you see the temp gauge creep above half, pull over and top it off and open the bleeder valve. Repeat till it is golden.

I actually just got it golden. Took it for a test drive i have 1.5 gals of coolant just incase. The funny thing now is my DCCV is jacked up only the passanger side gets heat and i have it a max. This car loves me so much. Also thanks for your help.

I actually just got it golden. Took it for a test drive i have 1.5 gals of coolant just incase. The funny thing now is my DCCV is jacked up only the passanger side gets heat and i have it a max. This car loves me so much. Also thanks for your help.

If you haven't been flushing the coolant every three years or so, then you probably just stirred up a bunch of gunk in the cooling system and some of it is now clogging the DCCV.

actually the heads were replaced 2 years ago and the coolant was completely replaced and With what happened to me i basically refilled the coolant completely. Also the DCCV was acting funky before this happened anyways.

actually the heads were replaced 2 years ago and the coolant was completely replaced and With what happened to me i basically refilled the coolant completely. Also the DCCV was acting funky before this happened anyways.

In that case, it's time for a new DCCV.

jdelarmente,
I never could get a steady stream out of mine. Bleeding takes 30 minutes or more, I know I know... Where you going in Japan? Atsugi? If so have fun at Tai Paradise right off base....

This thread really came in handy. I was going out my mind trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Hopefully I can get it now

Hey sorry I'm still not getting a clear idea, no offense to anyone I'm just kinda new to mechanics, I replaced my radiator but not sure exactly how to bleed so I took pictures of the degas bottle because I don't know if it should b that high while bleeding. And the the engine fill has bubbles coming from it... There's a whistling sound coming from the engine fill area...

1354204532028.jpg

1354204556847.jpg

Hey sorry I'm still not getting a clear idea, no offense to anyone I'm just kinda new to mechanics, I replaced my radiator but not sure exactly how to bleed so I took pictures of the degas bottle because I don't know if it should b that high while bleeding. And the the engine fill has bubbles coming from it... There's a whistling sound coming from the engine fill area...

Your engine fill cap is clearly cracked. You will never get it to work with the cracked cap. You'll have to replace it. (This would be a great time to switch to the Jaguar metal cooling tower and cap.)

Here's the correct fill and bleed procedure.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/CoolingSystemDraining/

And yes, you're supposed to put as much as you can in the degas bottle. If everything goes correctly, it will drop to the correct level after you are done and the engine cools off.

:eek: i thought you were only supposed to use the gold stuff

AFAIK, the required Ford coolant color (yellow or gold) varied on the LS according to year and/or market.

The universal green stuff is fine as long as it is the phosphate free long life stuff.

Oops yeah I used the generic AutoZone stuff... I screwed up? And ok new engine fill cap an jag metal cooling tower and cap thank yall so much!

You won't get a steady stream per say, you will get a trickling/dripping. The ihgher you get the RPMs up, the more 'stream-like' it should be.

Just run it for a while and see where the temperature gauge is. Bring a bottle of coolant with you. If you see the temp gauge creep above half, pull over and top it off and open the bleeder valve. Repeat till it is golden.

It took me forever, but last time I bled mine I got a steady stream. It poured out.

Any ideas of where to get that cap and tower, I tried removing cap, and broke that along with some of the thread off of the tower, and also I might need help on the lower back two screws of the tower, I can't get a wrench or socket on them, ill take pics tomorrow after work if needed all the help if greatly appreciated

Ok got the tower in the mail yesterday! Put it on and now there's still a whistling from the engine on the drivers side I that follows the revs I just can't find itand the car tried to overheat all of a sudden but was ok after I opened the bottle and a lot of coolant came out....

full story is I was going about 50mph home from work and hit a bad dip, tore the bottom right hand side of the radiator off, so the coolant literally drained with nothing holding it in. Now I've replaced the radiator per yalls right ups :D but now its still not really running correctly.

1354936909443.jpg

1354936925634.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back