Blackout Trim...the easy way

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Saw a thread way back on blacking out the trim around the windows on th 00-02 LS. I personally didn't like the idea of sanding, priming, and painting it traditionally. Came up with a better idea. Pin stripe tape. Only did one so far as it was getting dark last night, will do the rest tonite if weather allows. I'm not doing the lower piece, it will stay chrome. Very easy to do. More pics to come.

123-2368_IMG.JPG

interesting... how does it look next to the paint.. can u tell its tape?

BanginLS said:
interesting... how does it look next to the paint.. can u tell its tape?
It looks like it came from the factory that way. I'm very pleased with the turn out and can't wait to do the rest. Starting to drizzle out a little here so it might not happen today. Still have 1 more sales call too. I'll post more pics as I can. It'll look even better with my windows tinted. Best part, should come right off if I get sick of it.

Looks really good, I imagine you're going to do the back door as well right?

where did u buy the 3/8" pin stripe tape?

Looks nice, I really like those rims too.

yea man.. looks good.. and u been to post a pic of the whole car.. i never seen those rims on an ls.. looks good from what i`ve seen though.. nice work.

Looking good man, Howd that grille turn out for ya?? Post some pics!!

Thanks everyone. I intend to get some pics and update my garage soon. Its one of those things, cars clean no time for pics, cars dirty and time to take them. I have a few more things to do exterior wise too.

So far I installed
20" Foose Lussos w/ 245/35 Nitto 555s
Custom 2004 LSE grill with standard black insert inplace of chrome waterfall(Thanks lsondubz for the left overs, it turned out perfect)
Cleared corners
Black Eyelids
Upper window trim blackout (In progress)

Also have done
Magna-Flow cat-back with stock LSE tips reinstalled
LSK Aluminum Intake w/KKM

Stll going to do
Tint (Not to dark)
Black out side markers
Xcal2
Self fabricated CAI sheild(template made already)
Maybe lower it

Managed to finish one side last night. Its suppose to rain for like a whole week so who knows when I'll post better pics.

LSE 20.JPG

The LS looks great! However, I'm thinking that the chrome strip on the bottom would look better black.

looks good man. i like the black top with the chrome strip at the bottom. it added more sport to it witha lil touch of luxury left. i`m likin the rims too.. nice car.

Kinda got the idea from the newer Navigators. Its unique.

You do it right on the car.
The chrome strips on the LS aren't the traditional style, the chrome is surrounded by the rubber molding, thats what makes it kinda easy.
Any one could do this with a little patience, I did it by myself, 2 people may of made it easier.

BRILLIANT!!

The black tape does a good job. With the added benefit that if you want to go back to chrome, you simply remove the tape. It remains to be seen how it stands up to weather, sun, sleet, hail, bird poo, etc.

ON A RELATED NOTE..... Sport LS models generally have black trim in those areas, while NON-sport models have chrome. At least this is how the 03+ cars do it.

ToddG said:
BRILLIANT!!

The black tape does a good job. With the added benefit that if you want to go back to chrome, you simply remove the tape. It remains to be seen how it stands up to weather, sun, sleet, hail, bird poo, etc.

ON A RELATED NOTE..... Sport LS models generally have black trim in those areas, while NON-sport models have chrome. At least this is how the 03+ cars do it.
As far as durability, its a 3M product and is the same pin striping that cars use alot of the time anyway. I had concerns of it coming off on its own, but I actually did the driver door first the other day and removed it last night before doing both on the drivers side last night. It doesn't come off easy at all. But once you get an edge started as long as you pull slowly, it came off like it never was there. Its definately on to stay unless you want it gone. The nice thing is if you damage/scuff a piece, peel it off and replace it. I baught 150' for $22.49 +tax. If I occassionally have to redo one, no biggie.

00-02s all have this chrome, I saw on 03 sport with chrome the other day so I'm not sure when the chrome was deleted and what models, I know the 05 doesn't have it. As a friend of mine has one.

those rims look like they will snap in half if u hit a bump lol looks good tho bro, nice and clean... why does everybody hate on the chrome on the LS tho? keep the chrome! i LOVE chrome :D

Looks good now, best part is its a way to keep the chrome nice, like a protector. I wish they had a clear protector like thing to put over the chrome to keep it from getting scratched but still have the shine.

Members online

Back