Black box video recorder with old Android phone

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an old android phone (evo 4g) that I have decided to turn into a black box video recorder. After searching around for awhile I found a great app for it. If any of you have an old android phone sitting around I highly suggest you check it out. Heres the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pokevian.skids&feature=more_from_developer

The devs english is pretty bad, but he makes a quality app. I especially like the button you can press if there is an "event" button that will record the 10 seconds before and 10 seconds after (I'm pretty sure thats how it splits it up) you hit it. It also has an auto start function where it will start when it detects your car is moving and will turn off if it detects the engine go off (through OBDII bluetooth sensor). Ill add more once I get it fully tested, but for now I need to go back to doing my HTML school projects. Man I hate web coding....

Never used that one, but I will have to check t out.

I've been using Daily Roads Voyager for a while now and am pretty happy with it. Fairly customizable from the save location, allotted space usage to the video quality, frame rate and length of video files.
There is also any overlay control option (that works well with HTC's Car Mode) that you can position on the screen where you like. Overlay buttons are also customizable. Options such as one touch Close, Start/Stop video, Audio On/Off, Retain (to save the current file) and one to take a snapshot. Image overlay GPS info as well.

Thanks. I just really like to double check everything before I mess with my car. I would be in a serious bind if I somehow fried the computer or something. "Measure twice, cut once" :p
Just try and make sure that it really can keep up with the power needs of the phone while running constant video, using GPS and maintaining an active Bluetooth connection.

A lot of the 1A+ "AC mode" chargers you find on the internet are of very low quality and can't really maintain such levels, if ever at all.

Just try and make sure that it really can keep up with the power needs of the phone while running constant video, using GPS and maintaining an active Bluetooth connection.

A lot of the 1A+ "AC mode" chargers you find on the internet are of very low quality and can't really maintain such levels, if ever at all.

Good point. Yeah, its a deactivated phone so it wont be using the cell antenna which is normally a huge power drain. We will see how it fairs. Does the app you mentioned supported automated start and stop? Because I pretty much want to put this in my car and forget about it besides when something happens.

I've not really checked to see if there is an auto option that detects movement (through GPS perhaps) but it can be set to turn on and off when placed in a true car dock, which is how I use it.

Maybe a charge on/off option. Should be more info on the developers site, which is a community of it's own. http://www.dailyroads.com/

About Us
We want to build a worldwide community around the events happening on our daily roads. We all go to work, travel and witness thousands of situations, from which everybody else can learn something. Help us expose the dangers and interesting events happening on the roads all around the world.

Upload photos and videos of what you witnessed during your journeys, comment and rate existing content, write about your concerns, search within countries or around your location, chat, and win valuable prizes simply by contributing.

Notice: Right now the site works as a test environment for DailyRoads Voyager, our free application for Android mobile phones. You can still interact with the site and other members, but expect frequent changes to functionality and design.

Company info: DailyRoads Ltd. is based in London, United Kingdom. Company number 7809488, registered with Companies House in England and Wales.

I've not really checked to see if there is an auto option that detects movement (through GPS perhaps) but it can be set to turn on and off when placed in a true car dock, which is how I use it.

Maybe a charge on/off option. Should be more info on the developers site, which is a community of it's own. http://www.dailyroads.com/

Downloaded the app and messed with it. Didnt seem to find one unfortunately.

this is a good idea. and i can see myself doing this. plenty of cheap androids out there.
i do find it funny that your 'old' phone is 4g tho, moneybags!

haha in his support (and if I am write about the specific phone), that was the first 4G phone released. Sprint 4G using Clear (Clearwire) WiMax. They came out June '10 I think There are usually several on CL any given time.

Lol yup, its approaching 3 years old now haha. It was released June 4th 2010. Crazy how time flies huh? Whats crazier is the phone actually feels super old too. I slows down quite a bit while taking video and running Torque, though it can still handle it. My Galaxy Nexus could do that while browsing the internet and streaming music too haha. Mobile Tech is moving FAST.

But anyway, I've decided to go with the app you suggested blk. I use that in background mode with Torque on top. Its a fun little info display. Nothing super useful, but a fun way to use an old phone. Heres some pics, I tried to get about driver's angle with the last picture. Its REALLY hard to see from the outside because I have it tucked way up. You would have to be scoping my car out pretty intensely to notice it. Im happy with it, or at least will be once I hardwire the charger into the headliner;

IMG_20130320_203534.jpg

IMG_20130320_203547.jpg

IMG_20130320_203602.jpg

IMG_20130320_203627.jpg

Cool, so after looking at both apps you went with DR's, any specific reason? I've not had the time to check out the other one yet.

How is the view of the road with it up there?

I currently have my phone down at dash level and fairly centered. I plan to move it up, once I route power and audio up there. But currently I have it connected to the USB & 3.5mm ports that I installed behind the door between the cig lighter and power port, with the cords (housed in mesh sock tubing) routed out by the vents. This is temp until I get ports installed up high, I just prefer devises up there, just like I always mount my GPS in my truck.

Cool, so after looking at both apps you went with DR's, any specific reason? I've not had the time to check out the other one yet.

How is the view of the road with it up there?

I currently have my phone down at dash level and fairly centered. I plan to move it up, once I route power and audio up there. But currently I have it connected to the USB & 3.5mm ports that I installed behind the door between the cig lighter and power port, with the cords (housed in mesh sock tubing) routed out by the vents. This is temp until I get ports installed up high, I just prefer devises up there, just like I always mount my GPS in my truck.

Doesnt bother my view of the road one bit. Its actually REALLY tucked into the ceiling there. When you get a chance put your phone up there and you'll see what I mean, its basically unused space lol. You should consider going Bluetooth man, one less cord :p

I decided on to go with DR for a few reasons;

1. Its a rock solid program. It just works
2. The overlay is AWESOME for using it with Torque, Ill try to remember to post some pictures later
3. The CaroO pro app is just unpredictable. Its a solid program for sure, but the main feature to me was the auto on and off recorder, which is REALLY poorly implemented in my opinion. The program is built with a OBDII reader so I dont know why the hell he didnt just make the auto on/off feature read if the engine was on or off. Instead he uses GPS and after literally 2 hours trying to get it to work, including rooting the evo 4g to see if it was a HTC software issue, I just sad f it lol.

Ah so CaroO needs to mature a bit more before being viable.

Sorry, my first question was a little unclear, I was actually referring to the camera's view being up there. No problem with it being to dark from the top of the window?

I actually have a BT module that I use from time to time, but have a couple issues regarding it and it's use.

First one is with the BT adapter itself, it works great for streaming music but it will not stream call audio. So when I get a call it defaults to the phones built in speaker makng it usable, but less than perfect. When using the audio cable, the phones plays all audio, including that from calls, through the speakers while using the phones mic's (main and background noise eliminator)

Second is battery usage with everything running.

I have been looking for a good BT adapter that will stream call audio (no I don't want a clip-on sunvisor unit) but have yet to find one. What I would really like is one that auto connects, does not have auto off and has a port for an external speaker. But that seems to be a tall order.

As for power, I am still looking for a supply that can handle everything, I am almost there but not quite.

yo stoppy can you post your accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor values @ idle from the torque app? there should be 3 sensors, i think they will display as percentages.. TIA

These posts are the best. The ones that shed light on completely new (to me) products that I didn't even know existed. Bluetooth OBDII transmitters and $5 Android apps that give extremely useful continuous and diagnostic sensor info, AND drive-time video recorders? Are you kidding me??? Where have I been the past 5 years?!

I just got my first Android phone this past December and it is the most capable toy I have ever owned.

Ah so CaroO needs to mature a bit more before being viable.

Sorry, my first question was a little unclear, I was actually referring to the camera's view being up there. No problem with it being to dark from the top of the window?

I actually have a BT module that I use from time to time, but have a couple issues regarding it and it's use.

First one is with the BT adapter itself, it works great for streaming music but it will not stream call audio. So when I get a call it defaults to the phones built in speaker makng it usable, but less than perfect. When using the audio cable, the phones plays all audio, including that from calls, through the speakers while using the phones mic's (main and background noise eliminator)

Second is battery usage with everything running.

I have been looking for a good BT adapter that will stream call audio (no I don't want a clip-on sunvisor unit) but have yet to find one. What I would really like is one that auto connects, does not have auto off and has a port for an external speaker. But that seems to be a tall order.

As for power, I am still looking for a supply that can handle everything, I am almost there but not quite.

Ah gotcha. The camera definitely is going through the tint there at the top, but beyond it tinting everything blue I have no problems with it. If the tint bothers you for some reason then sure, but it doesnt bother me.

yo stoppy can you post your accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor values @ idle from the torque app? there should be 3 sensors, i think they will display as percentages.. TIA

Yeah sure thing, Ill get it within an hour here when I head back out to my car

These posts are the best. The ones that shed light on completely new (to me) products that I didn't even know existed. Bluetooth OBDII transmitters and $5 Android apps that give extremely useful continuous and diagnostic sensor info, AND drive-time video recorders? Are you kidding me??? Where have I been the past 5 years?!

I just got my first Android phone this past December and it is the most capable toy I have ever owned.

Lol right? I'm a computer guy (our phones are computers now) by hobby and trade and just love messing with this stuff.

Another question: I left the phone plugged in through last night, and as I suspected my battery was dead this morning. I was thinking I could hardwire the charger into the same wires that the moonroof uses since it doesnt work when the power is off, but then I noticed that there are four wires going into the switch. I searched around the LS manual (http://deneau.info/ls/) but couldn't find any information about what wire is what. Can anyone shed any light on this? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to wire it into to make it shut off with the car? Torque has a auto sleep mode you can enable if power is turned off to the phone. Seems a perfect solution if I can get the charger to turn off when the car does.

Looks good. Is that a universal car dock? It looks better than the one designed for my phone.

Looks good. Is that a universal car dock? It looks better than the one designed for my phone.

Thanks! No its the official HTC dock for the evo 4g. Its really nice. Google search genuine HTC evo 4g car dock. I'm on my phone so I don't feel like finding it and linking it lol

Heres what my torque looks like. I'm loving this. Also, the CaroO dev answered my question about triggers for the auto start and stop of recording and said the next version will include ignition detection auto start and stop. So when it gets updated Ill check it out and let ya know

IMG_20130321_205637.jpg

Here's my current setup and as mentioned earlier it is just temporary. I plan to do one of the two following:

1. Move it up next too the mirror, or
  2. install a Pioneer AppRadio (still researching that)

img2013032100118.jpg

*excuse the Blackberry cam pic

And here is a screenshot of my phone with Daily Roads Voyager's overlay interface running (and active video recording) running in HTC's Car Dock mode.
screenshot2013032116411.jpg

Ah gotcha. The camera definitely is going through the tint there at the top, but beyond it tinting everything blue I have no problems with it. If the tint bothers you for some reason then sure, but it doesnt bother me.

Yeah sure thing, Ill get it within an hour here when I head back out to my car

Lol right? I'm a computer guy (our phones are computers now) by hobby and trade and just love messing with this stuff.

Another question: I left the phone plugged in through last night, and as I suspected my battery was dead this morning. I was thinking I could hardwire the charger into the same wires that the moonroof uses since it doesnt work when the power is off, but then I noticed that there are four wires going into the switch. I searched around the LS manual (http://deneau.info/ls/) but couldn't find any information about what wire is what. Can anyone shed any light on this? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to wire it into to make it shut off with the car? Torque has a auto sleep mode you can enable if power is turned off to the phone. Seems a perfect solution if I can get the charger to turn off when the car does.

the roof is multi-directional (front/back & up/down) and the switch is 3way.
you might want to go to harbor freight and grab one of the non-contact voltmeters for like $10-15 and play around with the switch and check the wires. http://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-on-digital-multimeter-95683.html

you could also put the phone on a switch. jump in the car, throw the switch, jump out, throw the switch. just dont forget..

Members online

Back