Best front air struts non rebuild

tolincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Who makes the best front air struts with a brand new strut inside I dont want a rebuilt.

Fords the way to go but it'll cost you. Iirc they are 350~ each for the fronts. You could use arnott's for the rear no problem though.

Arnott but they suck. Poor bag longevity and the shock is way too soft. So yes, Ford is the only real way to go unless you know how to cut and weld and are fortunate enough to locate some Koni inserts.

my arnott fronts float pretty bad. but they hold air just fine.
and i can't justify oem fronts yet. :(

Nobody likes Arnott, but my fronts have been working for over 2 years.
Not as good as OEMs, but saved me $360.

Thinking the OEMs have many years sitting on the shelf, could have dry rot issues.

Last edited:
The Arnott front air SHOCKS are not bad. They're soft, but so far mine work pretty well. The new design is far better than the old style. They seem to be better made. I would prefer a bit more stiffness, but for the money, they can't be beat.

Fords the way to go but it'll cost you. Iirc they are 350~ each for the fronts. You could use arnott's for the rear no problem though.

Bingo. When I had a Mark, that is what I did. 97/98 are compatible if you have a Gen One, and A LOT cheaper. The $350 quoted is about right. Gen one, if they are even still around, are $600+ each.

Thinking the OEMs have many years sitting on the shelf, could have dry rot issues.

Not really. A lot of OEM parts are made for quite some time. You have to realize that the parts end of being a car maker is quite profitable. Its basically a separate business. Just because a car is no longer made, does not mean the part is not. I just bought an OEM Benz part particular to my 91. It was made in 2004!!

Not really. A lot of OEM parts are made for quite some time. You have to realize that the parts end of being a car maker is quite profitable. Its basically a separate business. Just because a car is no longer made, does not mean the part is not. I just bought an OEM Benz part particular to my 91. It was made in 2004!!
+1

Car manufacturers have to make parts for a car for 10 years after the last one is made. Some are made for longer like Mustang parts. So you could be getting a Mark shock that was made just 3 years ago.

Nobody likes Arnott, but my fronts have been working for over 2 years.
Not as good as OEMs, but saved me $360.

+10000

My car had the whole airride replaced with ford oem 3 weeks before I bought it and the bag lasted 2 years :/

I dont think a 80 year old lady would lie about that especially when she handed me the work order for it

Well something is not right. She took you or the dealer too her. I have never heard of an OEM bag failing in just two years. And old people are the most devious I know! :)

Well something is not right. She took you or the dealer too her. I have never heard of an OEM bag failing in just two years. And old people are the most devious I know! :)

you gotta watch those old people.. devious. lol.
but yeah, either the old lady was just wrong, lying, or misinformed, something wasn't right. or the dealership screwed someone over. not the first time.

I'm ripping it all out anyways I'll be checking >=[

Ya, generally the OEM struts last 10 years. That seems to be about when most people need to replace them. Which is why when the system is done right, it lasts a LONG time trouble free. Longer than most will have the car.

I stil lhave the original '94 bags from my car that I thought were bound up, but the brand new Ford ones ride the exact same, and they tested fine off the car. They still hold air etc...
I'd only go Ford for bags for these cars imho...

Members online

Back