Beater

brentalan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've decided I'm regulating my Mark VIII to beater status. In other words, use it as a daily driver, and I'm not fixing anything that doesn't keep it off the road, no more mods, etc.

I figure no point in selling it because it's got too many issues and I can't get anything for it. If something major goes, so will it.

It's a sad decision, I learned a lot from this car, made a lot of friends and knocked over a second off it's quarter mile time since when I started.

I feel like I could buy a newer Mark and it would be easier to deal with than this one. I probably wouldn't, because I'd like to get something a little newer anyway, but you never know.

This is what I'd have to fix to keep it, so I think you can see why I came to this conclusion:

1) Trans is buzzing when going into O/D; hanging on 1-2 shift - I had the fluid changed at a quick place, no change. I will try again myself making sure to drain the converter and using Mercron V
2) Blend door broke. Second time.
3) Front bags are shot; I just let them pump up before I leave now.
4) Neon is not working
5) Aftermarket driveshaft rub on the gas tank - my fault, when I replaced the tank I wanted to make sure it held pressure and I put too much pressure in and it bubbled.
6)The chip isn't working anymore; I get a "not ready" code when plugged in to OBDII although the top-speed limiter is still removed. I dunno what's up with it but, not spending money on an XCAL.
7) Right front, squeaking bushing when cold. Probably needs a control arm bushing, I guess.
8) Rear bumper needs paint, woman hit me in the back 2 years ago, paid me cash which I spent on other things.
9) The headlights are fogged up again, I sanded them with the 3M KIT 2 years ago.
10) One headlight leaks
11) Some strange noise from the left rear. I will check this out ASAP in case I have a wheel bearing going out.
12) Right rear fender needs paint, friend scraped it pulling out of the driveway
13) Cowl leaks, dripping on the passenger side, shorting the blower motor and I get no heat until it dries.
14) Headliner is shot, needs replaced
15) Alarm goes off when I use the key. I have to use the number pad to unlock it.
16) Minor oil leak, not sure where it's coming from. It drops a spot or two overnight. I just keep it topped off.
17) Minor power steering leak, also just keep it topped up.
18) Plastic button for the washer fluid broke off.
19) A/C leaks, I have to recharge it once or twice a year

Last edited:
Thats sad. The trick is to do a little at a time. I am getting mine back on the road and putting it into daily driver status. If you want to downsize that driveshaft, i'll swap you for a factory one. :D

That's a big list, but in defense, so was mine. Now it's down to just a few issues.

Don't look at it that big and maybe someone from this site could help you with some of those issues.

If you really are convinced you don't wanna fix it, you could always part it out.

Swap to springs and you will stress so much less! Plus you can sell the rear bags and compressor and recoup the cost. Just an idea.

Swap to springs and you will stress so much less! Plus you can sell the rear bags and compressor and recoup the cost. Just an idea.

This.

As soon as mine became the dd I swapped. Just fix everything little by little and try not to get overwhelmed.

Good luck!

I'm coil converted at 155k miles and am still planning on making this thing go faster. When you let the list grow long, it appears to be overwhelming but every one of your issues could be fixed. As for the buzzing tranny, I had a 4r70w that started whizzing VERY loud and a fluid change solved it. It was quite bizarre. Almost sounded like a supercharger when accelerating. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

"Thats sad. The trick is to do a little at a time. I am getting mine back on the road and putting it into daily driver status. If you want to downsize that driveshaft, i'll swap you for a factory one. "

I have been doing a little at a time, but the last 8 months have been 1 step forward, 2 back. The driveshaft needs to stay b/c it's got 3.73s.

" maybe someone from this site could help you with some of those issues."

I've had an offer of help, but it's too much. If I got help with a new trans, there is still a list a mile long :(

"Swap to springs and you will stress so much less! Plus you can sell the rear bags and compressor and recoup the cost. Just an idea."

The rear bags are only 2 years old and the fronts lasted 15 years, so I think it would be easier to get new fronts if it weren't for all the other issues.

I've decided I'm regulating my Mark VIII to beater status. In other words, use it as a daily driver, and I'm not fixing anything that doesn't keep it off the road, no more mods, etc. .

They make good daily drivers.
I figure no point in selling it because it's got too many issues and I can't get anything for it. If something major goes, so will it.

It's a sad decision, I learned a lot from this car, made a lot of friends and knocked over a second off it's quarter mile time since when I started..
True, still a fun car to drive that has decent power with half ass gas mileage.
I feel like I could buy a newer Mark and it would be easier to deal with than this one. I probably wouldn't, because I'd like to get something a little newer anyway, but you never know.
Most likely whatever Mark you would buy would most of the same issues.
This is what I'd have to fix to keep it, so I think you can see why I came to this conclusion:

1) Trans is buzzing when going into O/D; hanging on 1-2 shift - I had the fluid changed at a quick place, no change. I will try again myself making sure to drain the converter and using Mercron V
J-mod fluid change and cross your fingers this is the cars biggest issue.
2) Blend door broke. Second time.
Fix it this time with the mods from LOD, just did mine for the 2nd time and pretty sure the last.
3) Front bags are shot; I just let them pump up before I leave now.
New bags "expensive" as you know for a daily driver,or swap to coils.
needs to be fixed after the trans.
4) Neon is not working
glitch.....but its a never ending issue with gen 2's.
I have Been working on a led tail light, just no time right now.
5) Aftermarket driveshaft rub on the gas tank - my fault, when I replaced the tank I wanted to make sure it held pressure and I put too much pressure in and it bubbled.
Junkyard hunt
6)The chip isn't working anymore; I get a "not ready" code when plugged in to OBDII although the top-speed limiter is still removed. I dunno what's up with it but, not spending money on an XCAL.
Kill the chip, get a x cal 3, worth the cash IMHO, for what ever you might want to tune in the future.
7) Right front, squeaking bushing when cold. Probably needs a control arm bushing, I guess.
These cars kill front end components.
Never ending tail chasing on a daily driver.
8) Rear bumper needs paint, woman hit me in the back 2 years ago, paid me cash which I spent on other things.
fix as needed..... if everything is dealt with.
9) The headlights are fogged up again, I sanded them with the 3M KIT 2 years ago.
10) One headlight leaks
Another mark issue that never ends on a daily driver.
11) Some strange noise from the left rear. I will check this out ASAP in case I have a wheel bearing going out.
Check rear shock mount
12) Right rear fender needs paint, friend scraped it pulling out of the driveway
again, fix as needs last.
13) Cowl leaks, dripping on the passenger side, shorting the blower motor and I get no heat until it dries.
Another common Mark problem.
And another half day of labor fixing it.
14) Headliner is shot, needs replaced
Ugly for sure
15) Alarm goes off when I use the key. I have to use the number pad to unlock it.
Weird.....have no idea
16) Minor oil leak, not sure where it's coming from. It drops a spot or two overnight. I just keep it topped off.
17) Minor power steering leak, also just keep it topped up.
Need to drop the k member and fix them both, oil would be the pan "guessing" power steering would be the hose that gets kicked around during oil changes "guessing"

Lots of things to do to keep this car going, I would wonder if it was worth it.
It would have to be rust free for me to put this kind of labor into this car, and I daily drive one. :mad:

I know how you feel brent. I just sold my 94. I cant tell you how good it feels to get in a car and know that its not going to break down.

It gets me from point A to point B, it's just so much stuff to get it back to what it should be, I'm just gonna drive it. The longer it runs, the more I save for the next ride.

The trans may continue to run for a while if I take it easy.

"Lots of things to do to keep this car going, I would wonder if it was worth it.
It would have to be rust free for me to put this kind of labor into this car, and I daily drive one."

It is rust-free, for several years I tried to avoid driving in the rain/snow. Garage kept for most of the time I owned it. Still, I don't want to put that kind of effort in. Maybe if I'm bored next summer or something, but I doubt that will happen. I'm just going to keep saving for something else for when it does go.

I already have someone interested in it, so it's just a matter of hanging on to it and saving as much as I can.

So you're gonna buy a brand new car? Anything used will need something

Depends on how long this one lasts and how long my other cars last. Most likely it would be a brand new car, especially if I can get another year out of these.

I'm not opposed to fixing stuff, I enjoy it actually. It's just that when the list gets that long, it's time to let go. :(

How bad is your current dd if a mark in disrepair is a better option?
Also if this mark was not your dd how come nothing got fixed as it failed.

My other cars are a 1990 Geo Prizm and a 1988 Chevy Caprice. I also have a 1970 Mercury Cyclone for a hobby car.

I've done several repairs on the Mark VIII already this year, sway bar bushings, coolant flush, wheel bearing, tensioner & pulley and something else which escapes me at the moment. I've also been doing things to keep those others running.

The idea was for the Geo to be the daily driver and the Chevy and Lincoln to be nice weather cars. The Geo breaks down a lot, so I've been running the other two more than I wanted. In addition, I work two jobs, and bring work home with me, so I don't have a lot of free time to fix them, even though I enjoy it a lot. Pretty much I only fix stuff that keeps any of them on the road, rather that stuff like the neon that would be nice to do. The Geo and the Chevy have been parked in my garage stall more than the Mark VIII this year, but they were necessary things to keep them on the road.

I would also add that I am not a great mechanic, I do the best I can self-taught and learn from this site and the shop manual. A 2 hour job for most people takes me 4. Some stuff, I won't attempt because I know my limitations.

I'm just bustin yer balls man :)

I wouldn't rebuild that trans either, FAR cheaper to just drop a salvage trans in. As long as its a working salvage trans

I've been rebuilding my Mark all year long, and although there's only a few pieces left, even I get discouraged some at what I have left to do.

One thing at a time

Was it you that had the feet issue?

I know you are Sapp, I've had this thing for 11 years and it feels like I'm giving up on a child.

There was a member thats handicapped, and had issue with his feet. So yeah, must be someone else, now I feel bad I can't remember his SN, and I haven't talked to him in a long time

As for the problem with the alarm going off when you use the key, mine did that and it turned out there is a little sensor on the end of the key tumbler that is SUPPOSED to sense when you open the door with the key, but mine came unplugged.

I changed the battery in my key fob and use it now! If you need a key fob, there are tons for sale on ebay - you can get brand new ones for around $15, used ones real cheap.

As for the problem with the alarm going off when you use the key, mine did that and it turned out there is a little sensor on the end of the key tumbler that is SUPPOSED to sense when you open the door with the key, but mine came unplugged.

i've dealt with two cars that had this problem. the people that swapped the handle probably didn't even know it exists. but its easy to fix.

"Lots of things to do to keep this car going, I would wonder if it was worth it.
It would have to be rust free for me to put this kind of labor into this car, and I daily drive one."

It is rust-free, for several years I tried to avoid driving in the rain/snow. Garage kept for most of the time I owned it. Still, I don't want to put that kind of effort in. Maybe if I'm bored next summer or something, but I doubt that will happen. I'm just going to keep saving for something else for when it does go.

I already have someone interested in it, so it's just a matter of hanging on to it and saving as much as I can.

These car demand more then average amount of maintenance.
Not the best choice for a daily driver.
I have done it out of pure necessity not by choice.
Nothing wrong with driving it until the trans dies then move it along to the enthusiast who will want to bring it back around.
After all....You have a Merc most would kill to have.

The compressor will die from pumping up those leaking front bags before that trans gives out.
Its a car no more, no less.

Members online

No members online now.
Back