battery?

gixxer

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so last night i went to put gas in the ls after not drivin it all weekend and it took a minute to crank over. this morning i went to start the car and it clicked (like a dead battery would) and then on the second try it turned over. at the end of my work day the car would do nothing. i put in a red top from work and it starts right up. so i took it to autozone and they test it and says it needs a charge. they charge and test again and the machine says its a good battery. i take it outside and it starts the car rite up. now i know it wasnt the alternator cuz i drove from work to autozone with no battery in it just fine. p.s. 2001 v8

I dont know how different the charging systems is on new cars but look into the voltage regulator. I dont know if they are internal or external on these cars.

i would check all the connections and make sure they are clean and tight, if you have a multimeter check the resistance to ground and make sure that it is getting full voltage at the battery and the starter.

I have noticed that the charging system on my 04 leaves a lot to be desired when I do a lot of stop & go driving. I have learned that if I do almost all city short run driving, it is prudent for me to charge the battery at least once a month. Having said that, I did have a battery that tested good repeatedly, but would discharge too rapidly, aggravating the charging problem described above. A new battery reduced the problem, but I still do the charge battery dance once a month.

I read up on the regulator, since im not familar with newer cars (damn electronics). and its posible to not have one at all! but would be more than likely to have an internal. go back to autozone and have them test the altenator. they can do this with it still in the car, if they say they cant, go somewhere else, you can.

I too have to put it on a charger occasionally due to short in town trips.

I have a 2001 LS, with the original battery in it, and have never had a battery problem. Its never been on a charger......I feel lucky !!!

Probably the battery is just on its way out. Is it the original battery?

I have a 2001 LS, with the original battery in it, and have never had a battery problem. Its never been on a charger......I feel lucky !!!

Good luck this winter. Cold + old battery = dead
Most batteries only last 5 years or so. Though I've seen them last as long as 10, those are very few and far between.

Just wanted to say hi and get some posts in.

save that sh!t for a non-vehicle forum. We don't need people coming onto threads and putting in useless BS to bump their post count.

Back to our normal programing...

Whats the deal on this? I've been through three batteries since I bought my LS in August of 06. The previous owner had replaced it that February, then winter came and it started dying, so I took it to the dealer and they told me it was bad and replaced it. So then last winter I had the same problem, they tested the battery and replaced it for free. Now the cold weather has come again and I'm starting to have the same problem. I really don't want to replace the battery again when obviously it is something wrong with the car. I don't drive it very far and not always every day but it seems ridiculous that it dies as often as it does. I've tested the alternator with my voltage meter and it's working fine. Any ideas?

how long does your LS sit at times... I would say if its going to sit for a week or more i would just disconnect the battery...

It doesn't sit for a long time, only a few days and it's in a garage but it still likes to die in the winter. I'm sure it's something in the car but I can't find any one concrete answer from the posts I could find here.

I'm in the same boat. Bought my car new in 9/06. Replaced battery in 2/07. Dying again so taking it to the dealer Friday. Will probably need a new battery, it won't charge past 12.25v.

I drive 10 miles a day, but in that I start the car 4 times. This could be killing the battery, but didn't have the problem with my 2000 Cougar and did the same drive for 3 years.

At least I'm wise to it now. When the battery is going low my lights flash when I startup. I also get a parking brake warning message. It starts to crank slow also.

I can charge it and it'll be OK for a few weeks.

I'll post a followup after the dealer looks at it.

Whats the deal on this? I've been through three batteries since I bought my LS in August of 06. The previous owner had replaced it that February, then winter came and it started dying, so I took it to the dealer and they told me it was bad and replaced it. So then last winter I had the same problem, they tested the battery and replaced it for free. Now the cold weather has come again and I'm starting to have the same problem. I really don't want to replace the battery again when obviously it is something wrong with the car. I don't drive it very far and not always every day but it seems ridiculous that it dies as often as it does. I've tested the alternator with my voltage meter and it's working fine. Any ideas?

this just happened to me the other day as well. i didnt drive my car for two days and the sat rradio i have always stays on. never had a prob before but i also never have not driven my car for thatlong. anyway i was working on the stereo prob i was having and the servie parking brake light came on and the advance trac light. i was freaking and tried to start the car. no go. i jumped it real fast and no probs since. our cars react strange to low voltage. my 00 ls also has some battery issues. i finally gave in and gave it a 24 hour slow charge and all is well

how long does your LS sit at times... I would say if its going to sit for a week or more i would just disconnect the battery...

use a 'battery tender' - they are cheap and work well. I use them on all my cars that are daily driven.

The problem with disconnecting the battery - you'll lose all your self-programmed transmission strategies, all the engine self-adjustments, all your radio/stereo settings, ….plus you reset your emissions check to zero. so if it's only for a week - use a tender.

Ok so I bought a battery charger which is working for now but any ideas what would cause the slow drain?

there could be a ton of things draining the batt, some computer mod not shutting down, a relay stuck on...

with the motor and acc's off put a DMM inline with the batt cable and set it to current

1 at a time, pull every fuse until the current drain dissapears then you know what circuit has the drain

I get this slow drain. I joined this forum to find out what the issue was and I got lots of info but never nicked the problem. I have to take it in and get the wires checked out. Most likely the problem. I got the dealership to replace my last battery just a few months ago and its dead as of the other day.

you'll lose all your self-programmed transmission strategies

That dont have anything to do with the updates the dealership can install for that hard shift does it?

Ok so I bought a battery charger which is working for now but any ideas what would cause the slow drain?

Are there any electrical/electronic features of the car that are not working completely correctly?

That dont have anything to do with the updates the dealership can install for that hard shift does it?

No, the transmission is adaptive and remembers the last 5 shifts(1 thru 5 gears) and uses that average for the next time you go thru the gears.

When I am in town and going light to light, after awhile I have to drive in D4 to smooth thing out.

Members online

Back