Battery draining issue

Car sat overnight and fired right up strong this morning.

NICE!!!!!! That's always good hopefully you're seeing the light at the end of this tunnel

Thanks. For a $500 investment with 139,000 miles it's starting to finally pay off as all major fixes so far hasn't cost me a dime This car was just gave up on. The coolant fill bottle and radiator were just put in new as well. Going ahead with the aluminum Jag thermostat housing, new upper / lower hose kits, and new water pump. I've read the air bleed procedure as well. With a round of new coils / plugs and updated timing chain kit she should be good to go a while. I will be around $1500 invested when done with a load of new parts.

Last edited:
Thanks. For a $500 investment with 139,000 miles it's starting to finally pay off as all major fixes so far hasn't cost me a dime This car was just gave up on. The coolant fill bottle and radiator was just put in new as well. Going ahead with the aluminum Jag thermostat housing, new upper / lower hose kits, and new water pump. I've read the air bleed procedure as well. With a round of new coils / plugs and updated timing chain kit she should be good to go a while. I will be around $1500 invested when done with a load of new parts.
Im in the same boat I picked up my 01' for about $950 I've replaced the front windshield $301, a fuel pump which I picked up new for $68 a new front bumper $100, outer tie Rod $45, replaced rear sway bar link kit $58, and painted the rims black for $60 + a can of self-etching primer, last but not least new speakers and Bluetooth deck from EBay for $150

Thanks. For a $500 investment with 139,000 miles it's starting to finally pay off as all major fixes so far hasn't cost me a dime This car was just gave up on. The coolant fill bottle and radiator was just put in new as well. Going ahead with the aluminum Jag thermostat housing, new upper / lower hose kits, and new water pump. I've read the air bleed procedure as well. With a round of new coils / plugs
Its a fun car to drive with the sport/ special suspension in these cars it handles like a dream and the 3.9 is a snappy little 8 cylinder

Last edited:
Why are you replacing the water pump Carl? Its proven faulty? Generally these LS water pumps remain reliable with only a selected few failures here and there. They are not a common fail item.

Why are you replacing the water pump Carl? Its proven faulty? Generally these LS water pumps remain reliable with only a selected few failures here and there. They are not a common fail item.

The car has 139,000 and with having to drain to swap in new upper and lower hoses and it being right there and easy to swap I figured what the hell. That will have 90% of the entire cooling system new. I didn't want to go 35,000 and have a water pump bearing go down etc and have to deal with it again that soon.

Is the car pictured in your profile page pic?

No, that is a 104,000 2003 V6 with a bad engine. Previous owners didn't check the oil and seized the motor. It was the original plan till I found this V8 car local cheaper than the engine for the 03 lol.

20170807_131956.jpg

4.jpg

The car has 139,000 and with having to drain to swap in new upper and lower hoses and it being right there and easy to swap I figured what the hell. That will have 90% of the entire cooling system new. I didn't want to go 35,000 and have a water pump bearing go down etc and have to deal with it again that soon.
Wow! You're a wheeler dealer !!! That is a really clean LS for $500 I always say if I was to choose any other color besides black/ebony for the LS my second choice would be either Pearl White or like yours a nice clean White...it's truly amazing what ppl are selling these cars for on Craigslist here in MInnesota ...I was going to look at a 2006 black on black with all the extra mods for $4000 O.B.O with 157,000 I'm talking clean inside and out a real turn-key car it's funny because like this guy selling it the reason he is selling it is because it's a gas hog he said needs cheaper gas mileage....I'm not sorry to say this but your not buying a LS so to get better fuel economy...anyone who truly knows and loves the ride of this car in all its handling of turns and quick bursts of speed knows it's a car for just that enjoying a ride that handles like a dream ;-)

Last edited:
After looking a little closer is your LS pearl ?

Na, it's the lighting of the pic. Its the bright white. The headlights have moisture inside. I know how to fix them but probably just grab a new pair on Ebay or may look into swapping in the set from the 03 car if possible. It's a damn shame they changed the tail light sizes. Id love the Euro look of the 03-06 tail lights.

Glad I found this thread. That TSB is just what I need. I seem to have a drain on mine. Charged the battery for 12 hours after the battery was completely dead.
That first start after charging the starter started it up really quick. Every day since then it started it fine but didn't sound quite as fast doing it. Then this morning I went to go to work and the battery was really low and didn't have enough juice to start it up. I put my charger with the 50 amp boost on it for a minute ow two and it started up. I have about a 25 minute drive to work and when I got there I let it idle for a few minutes then turned it off to try again to start it and it started fine.
The charging system has been putting out 14.2 - 14.6 volts so I know that's fine. I know I do have one DTC fault with the driver's side air bag. B1995 Low resistance.
It was B1994 before I fixed the pulled out wires under the seat but I'm still getting a 3-6 code from the air bag light. I found another thread where someone had that same exact problem and it turned out he fixed it by completely removing that plug since the connections were apparently bad after the plug on the air bag side.
I think I'll try to fix that tomorrow but I am wondering if that fault would keep some of those system modules from going into sleep mode.
It took from the time I charged it about 6 days ago till this morning going to work and back and running some errands Wednesday before it didn't have enough juice to start. Though none of the times till this morning was there any time hard starting like it had a low battery. It sounded fine up until this morning.

Glad I found this thread. That TSB is just what I need. I seem to have a drain on mine. Charged the battery for 12 hours after the battery was completely dead.
That first start after charging the starter started it up really quick. Every day since then it started it fine but didn't sound quite as fast doing it. Then this morning I went to go to work and the battery was really low and didn't have enough juice to start it up. I put my charger with the 50 amp boost on it for a minute ow two and it started up. I have about a 25 minute drive to work and when I got there I let it idle for a few minutes then turned it off to try again to start it and it started fine.
The charging system has been putting out 14.2 - 14.6 volts so I know that's fine. I know I do have one DTC fault with the driver's side air bag. B1995 Low resistance.
It was B1994 before I fixed the pulled out wires under the seat but I'm still getting a 3-6 code from the air bag light. I found another thread where someone had that same exact problem and it turned out he fixed it by completely removing that plug since the connections were apparently bad after the plug on the air bag side.
I think I'll try to fix that tomorrow but I am wondering if that fault would keep some of those system modules from going into sleep mode.
It took from the time I charged it about 6 days ago till this morning going to work and back and running some errands Wednesday before it didn't have enough juice to start. Though none of the times till this morning was there any time hard starting like it had a low battery. It sounded fine up until this morning.
It could be an intermittent Alternator/Generator also... if you have Forscan connect it to the car and run the GENCOM in Dashboard (Live Feed) you can see the percentage% of the Alternator/Generator...My car's Alternator was going out slowly but surly and it took a long time before the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM on dash showed up ...but Forscan showed me the faulty Generator ;)

I've got Forscan. It's what I accidentally cleared my ABS and Traction Assist parameters with when I cleared all the codes after I got the car. ;p LOL!
GENCOM? I'll try it after I charge the battery all the way up again. Not sure what you mean by it shows the percentage of the alternator though. Maybe it'll be self-evident when I run it.

I've got Forscan. It's what I accidentally cleared my ABS and Traction Assist parameters with when I cleared all the codes after I got the car. ;p LOL!
GENCOM? I'll try it after I charge the battery all the way up again. Not sure what you mean by it shows the percentage of the alternator though. Maybe it'll be self-evident when I run it.
Yes run the GENCOM for the generator live feed Dashboard...give me the percentages you get and I will let you know if they're accurate readings... of course the % percentage will jump up and down but it shouldn't go to 0% ever

Members online

No members online now.
Back