Bad IAC characteristics on a 97

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I tried a search but couldn't find on my GEn II. 97. But based on the searches I came up with, it's totally the IAC gone bad.. but I've only been able to find descriptions to replace it on Gen I motors.

It idles bad, dies after a quick step on the throttle. I can't seem to find what the IAC looks like on the engine.

While the car was idling, I disconnected a power wire to a component that resides on top of the valve cover on driver side-thinking the car would die.. but nothing.

Looks like EGR valve?

Where is the IAC located if it is the culprit?

This happened to me about 4 months ago, but after a few cranks.. it went away.

* I might add, theres a slight humming coming from that component that I disconnected.

The IAC is the silver canister that sits right on top of your intake, it's right it front of your face.

Thanks 96hotrod, I also saw the post of the picture you put up. Thank you.

Is it certain that it's a bad IAC valve?

What about the component i disconnected??? shouldnt it have died when I disconnected power to it? or idled even rougher?

The red circle is the IAC, the blue circle is the EGR.

98 engine 3.jpg

Thanks KuztomKid you beat me to it..

Now what is the Yellow in my picture? excuse the dirtyness of my car, havent cleaned since I moved last year.

Is it because of the IAC the part in yellow in my pic is not functioning/making humming noise?

How do I test IAC at this point to make sure it's the culprit?

DSC_2130.jpg

The thing you circled in yellow is part of the PVC system.

How come when disconnected while "bad idling" nothing changes?

Can/should it be cleaned to see if it will function again?

Also, will a 3rd party IAC valve suffice? or does it have to be from Ford?

Since I located the IAC thanks to KKid..

I tested it by simply pulling the harness off of it. DUH. i amaze myself sometimes on how dumb i can be.

anyway..

Off to the parts store later..

Thanks for the help guys.

Let me put in some keywords for future Searchers:

Low Idle, bad idle, 1997 1998 IAC valve, IAC location, EGR valve,

dammn my picture compared to KKid's puts Marks to shame.. I need to clean her up.

the yellow part is the evap solenoid aint it? pcv is behind it.....

try cleaning the IAC, mine started to act up after i got my car, i clean it about every 6 months and its been fine, going on 4 years...........

the yellow part is the evap solenoid aint it? pcv is behind it.....

try cleaning the IAC, mine started to act up after i got my car, i clean it about every 6 months and its been fine, going on 4 years...........

My computer told me I had a bad coil on plug,(got codes read for free at advance auto) and also the IAC. Well the bad coil can cause the IAC to also read bad I was also told. but to be safe I took off the IAC turned it over and poured Seafoam in it, let it sit a few minutes then balancing up side down on the intake I started the car a few times (it will not really start and I think that got the seafoam into the IAC and cleaned it, plus the new coil on plug and it runs so smooth again. So this may help you?

Members online

Back