Bad engine noise

cobey

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This may not be quite enough to get me an answer, but I started my 04 v8 this morning at the gas station and it started to make a really loud, almost like a rubbing sound. I popped the hood at the train station before I went to work and it sounds like its coming from the front left of the engine, kind of by where the PCV vent tube connects. I wasn't able to tell for sure since I don't have a long drive, but it felt like I had some loss of power. I pretty much ruled the belt out I think unless its rubbing against the air intake piece that runs down there. I didn't have time to look too thoroughly. Does anyone have any ideas? I know that its not really a lot to go on and I plan on checking it out tonight. Thanks everyone

could be timing chains, the tensioner may have cracked and now the chain is slapping around loosely. I would if you can and don't see other issues, pull the valve covers to check them. I know this wasn't as big an issue on 2nd gens, but that doesn't make it impossible either. If you do this and haven't already go a head and replace the valve cover gaskets as they are not terribly pricey and require no more work than already done.

Thanks, after reading a bit thats kind of where I am leaning too. It is probably better described as a "slapping" sound instead of a "rubbing" the more that I think about it and the sound gets more frequent the higher that the RPMs go.

I have about 10 miles to drive to my shop today after work. Assuming its tensioner, do I need to tow it, or will I be ok to make that drive? I would look at it, but its far too cold here for me to even consider tearing into the engine today

I can't really say, most likely you will be fine, but there is the possibility that if this is the issue you could jump a couple teeth on the cam gear and destroy your valves and pistons.

It may be cheaper in the long run to tow it (heads are pricey)

Members online

No members online now.
Back