Bad engine noise

cobey

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This may not be quite enough to get me an answer, but I started my 04 v8 this morning at the gas station and it started to make a really loud, almost like a rubbing sound. I popped the hood at the train station before I went to work and it sounds like its coming from the front left of the engine, kind of by where the PCV vent tube connects. I wasn't able to tell for sure since I don't have a long drive, but it felt like I had some loss of power. I pretty much ruled the belt out I think unless its rubbing against the air intake piece that runs down there. I didn't have time to look too thoroughly. Does anyone have any ideas? I know that its not really a lot to go on and I plan on checking it out tonight. Thanks everyone

could be timing chains, the tensioner may have cracked and now the chain is slapping around loosely. I would if you can and don't see other issues, pull the valve covers to check them. I know this wasn't as big an issue on 2nd gens, but that doesn't make it impossible either. If you do this and haven't already go a head and replace the valve cover gaskets as they are not terribly pricey and require no more work than already done.

Thanks, after reading a bit thats kind of where I am leaning too. It is probably better described as a "slapping" sound instead of a "rubbing" the more that I think about it and the sound gets more frequent the higher that the RPMs go.

I have about 10 miles to drive to my shop today after work. Assuming its tensioner, do I need to tow it, or will I be ok to make that drive? I would look at it, but its far too cold here for me to even consider tearing into the engine today

I can't really say, most likely you will be fine, but there is the possibility that if this is the issue you could jump a couple teeth on the cam gear and destroy your valves and pistons.

It may be cheaper in the long run to tow it (heads are pricey)

Members online

Back