Bad ball joints?

mattchaney

LVC Member
Reaction score
when i make turns i get a clicking coming from the front of the car. i assume this is probably the bad ball joint issue. i called the mechanic for an estimate and he said the entire steering knuckle has to be replaced and that the ball joints cannot be replaced solely on this car. by the way, the car is a 2001 ls sport. Does anyone know if this is true. He said about $750 for parts and labor to replace both sides.

i had mine done for about 550, its true u cant just get the ball joint, it comes with the whole lower control arm, if its the ball jiont get i replaced or ur wheel may fall off

They are correct. It is the "knuckle assembly". It's not too bad if a job to do yourself. I did the second side in about an hour start to finish. That was including drilling out the rivets for the dust shield and replacing them with small bolts. There are two different versions and one is quite a bit cheaper than the other. I paid $460 for the parts. There are some nuts that are one use that you must replace also.

lsbit said:
They are correct. It is the "knuckle assembly". It's not too bad if a job to do yourself. I did the second side in about an hour start to finish. There are two different versions and one is quite a bit cheaper than the other. I paid $460 for the parts. There are some nuts that are one use that you must replace also.

This is the worst news ever!!! I'm getting so sick of this car!!!
I haven't had it for a year yet. I've already had to replace the COPs and the Valve covers ($2000), I replaced a defective receiver for the alarm ($260), now I just replaced my tires (only 2 - $260) and was told I have a bad ball joint. And from reading this thread I can't replace a piece of freaking rubber for less than $400!!!! I have to replace the whole f'n arm!

I'm going to drive this car off of a cliff and laugh!!

I do enjoy this forum and I read it daily, but this f'n car is driving me into debt! I've never in my life had this many problems with one car - I used to own a Civic with 150,000 miles on it, all I had to replace in the two years I had it, was a belt and the oil. I sold it because I moved cross country and leased a Nissan. The lease ran out on the Nissan and I got an Explorer (lasted 2 years - had to get rid of it) tried upgrading to the Lincoln and damn it. :soapbox:

lsbit said:
They are correct. It is the "knuckle assembly". It's not too bad if a job to do yourself. I did the second side in about an hour start to finish. That was including drilling out the rivets for the dust shield and replacing them with small bolts. There are two different versions and one is quite a bit cheaper than the other. I paid $460 for the parts. There are some nuts that are one use that you must replace also.

I am assuming the lower ball joint nut and upper ball joint nuts are one time use? Do you know the torque specs for the following? I'm doing this right now and need to get it finished ASAP. Thanks!

1. Hub to upright bolts
2. Brake Caliper braket to upright bolts
3. Lower Ball Joint Nut
4. Upper Ball Joint Nut
5. Tie Rod end to Upright

what year ls do u have. there was a recall for the ball joints on some of the 00 ls. u might want to call the lm dealer and give em your vin and see if ur car is one of them

itsnotmydaddys said:
what year ls do u have. there was a recall for the ball joints on some of the 00 ls. u might want to call the lm dealer and give em your vin and see if ur car is one of them

If you are talking to the original poster.. he should do that. I did it on my mom's LS because it's an 00 and the problem was obviously that the ball joint nuts loosened up. They said the recall was done before the car was bought and were basically jerks after that even though I am convinced the recall was not done or done improperly or the part is a defective design.

aram said:
If you are talking to the original poster.. he should do that. I did it on my mom's LS because it's an 00 and the problem was obviously that the ball joint nuts loosened up. They said the recall was done before the car was bought and were basically jerks after that even though I am convinced the recall was not done or done improperly or the part is a defective design.

Call a different dealer and ask if they can give you the recall info on your car you need. Sounds like the one you are going to sucks.

itsnotmydaddys said:

I have a '00 LS, I more relaxed now, but my blood pressure will go back up when I hear the squealing from the tire b/c I can't get the alignment done without first having the ball joint replaced.
I'll call the dealer tomorrow, although last time I mentioned a recall - I got the old - if you bought it used w/o a warranty, you bought it "as is"
or you get the - we need to diagnosis ($90) it first, if it is a recall you will be reimbursed.

If you only hear the clunking noise when your going, and then when you brake it stops, it's the caliper piston.

:Beer

01lssport said:
Call a different dealer and ask if they can give you the recall info on your car you need. Sounds like the one you are going to sucks.

It does suck. But they did look up the recall info and in the computer it said it was already performed. Obviously it was not done correctly but I just finished replacing both ball joints (about $350 in parts :mad: ) and it drives fine now.

Bad Ball Joints????....All ya gotta do is cup em.......oooops wrong ball joint! sorry!!!!

LOLOLOLOL-- I've passed this post up all day, couldn't resist...sorry LOLOLOLOLO

I miss you Daddy ;p
Debi

MsM8tress said:
Bad Ball Joints????....All ya gotta do is cup em.......oooops wrong ball joint! sorry!!!!

LOLOLOLOL-- I've passed this post up all day, couldn't resist...sorry LOLOLOLOLO

I miss you Daddy ;p
Debi

funny one Debi real funny why dont you get him a ring whyll your at it LOL

wanna another laugh read the post above mine,
It does suck.........!! - lololololo

I am so sorry, I was not like this until I was LVCed, now I am a a nut job having a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLO

Ok Im not sorry that is just friggin funny!!!!!!!!!
OK LVC isn't all to blame, but LVC did play the major roll in cultivation!!!!!
sorry really, really !!!!

Members online

Back