Back to rough idle

BrendanMc

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just can't win.. yesterday it threw a coil 4 misfire, replaced coil pack and fix it for about 10 mins it was running like a dream til I got now a p0355 along with the 420 and 430.. my mechanic thinks it needs a whole new ECU.. are we missing something here?!?! All spark plugs coil packs are new even the fuel injectors.. no vacuum leaks

I just can't win.. yesterday it threw a coil 4 misfire, replaced coil pack and fix it for about 10 mins it was running like a dream til I got now a p0355 along with the 420 and 430.. my mechanic thinks it needs a whole new ECU.. are we missing something here?!?! All spark plugs coil packs are new even the fuel injectors.. no vacuum leaks
Have you checked the EGR Valve?

I don't believe so, that would cause a p0355 code?
It wouldn't cause that code but it can definitely cause a rough idle. EGR valves usually start getting crappy as the car ages and gets high miles. They aren't too expensive and isn't too hard to replace but, can be time consuming.

The Powertrain Control Module is grounded to the coils, so, if you replaced the coils with anything but OEM Motorcraft coils, you might have a bad ground that is making your PCM go crazy.

Also, check that the connector to the coil is latching correctly. Those latches break if you look at them wrong, and it would explain it working correctly for a little bit after you replaced the COP. The connector may have popped back out. I had to zip-tie some of mine.

The Powertrain Control Module is grounded to the coils, so, if you replaced the coils with anything but OEM Motorcraft coils, you might have a bad ground that is making your PCM go crazy.
Yea they aren't motorcraft.. but they have all been tested with a multimeter.

Yea they aren't motorcraft.. but they have all been tested with a multimeter.
That's a nearly completely useless test for the COPs. The main failure mode is (or at least used to be) high voltage breakdown of the epoxy in the coils. Ford sent out a TSB to the dealers saying that the only useful way to test the coils was to do an operational stress test and look at the results with an ignition scope.

Last edited:
Marginal COPs could test fine, but as soon as you put the load & stress of different driving enviroments, they might not be able to fully operate within specifications. I had a shop put generic coils on my car (without my knowledge), and it was driving my poor PCM nuts, to the point where it started shifting erratically.

I'd strongly advise Joe's check posted above. As you get the engine running, if a connector is not latched, it can totally back out of the connector on the COP. Once a coil is not firing but the injector is still injecting, you then would see issues with the cat, p0420. Also just a DOA coil could be at play.

So I'm pretty sure changing the coil pigtail worked.. it was in bad shape, runs a lot smoother now and no more p0355.. but p0430 came back still. For the EGR... where the hell is it? I have a 2005 LS 3.0, its not where every other model has it out in the open.. does this model even have one?

... does this model even have one?
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that 2005 and 2006 3.0 had one.
That's not an EGR code anyway.
Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Yea I know what code it is, just someone suggested cleaning the EGR as a routine maintenance figure it couldn't hurt.. I've replaced both cats already , maybe the upstream O2 sensors I'm thinking?

Yea I know what code it is, just someone suggested cleaning the EGR as a routine maintenance figure it couldn't hurt.. I've replaced both cats already , maybe the upstream O2 sensors I'm thinking?
What did you replace them with. Most aftermarket cats are crap, and the LS is particular about it.

Well Joe is right about the P0430 code...
Screenshot_20220129-083428.png

You have at least one defective catalytic converter. The aftermarket ones are known not to hold up bery long.

Some of the members on here have purchase the Magnaflow versions with good results.

Cheaper than OEM... but not as cheap as most aftermarket junk.

The aftermarket ones are known not to hold up bery long.

Some of the members on here have purchase the Magnaflow versions with good results.

The LS really is the car version of a hot, spoiled woman. Buy her anything she might consider cheap and she'll buy Gucci with your credit card later

Well Joe is right about the P0430 code...View attachment 828576984

You have at least one defective catalytic converter. The aftermarket ones are known not to hold up bery long.

Couldn't a bad O2 sensor be giving wrong readings? The cats only have 30,000 miles on them

Last edited:
Couldn't a bad O2 sensor be giving wrong readings? The cats only have 30,000 miles on them
Bad COPs can spoil a new cat by allowing raw fuel to be constantly dumped into the cats, so mileage is irrelevant in the case of running the engine with missing ignition occurring on one or more cylinders.

Bad COPs can spoil a new cat by allowing raw fuel to be constantly dumped into the cats, so mileage is irrelevant in the case of running the engine with missing ignition occurring on one or more cylinders.
So it couldn't just be a bad O2 sensor?

Did anyone ever find out where the EGR valve went on the 05 v6 LS?

Members online

Back