B1875 on Gen 2 LS V8

I think I am going to try and rule out a failing PCM cause of the random codes I have seen over time and all the issues it has had by sending the PCM off for a rebuild. Does that place that you all recommend flash the PCM to the latest software after they rebuild them?

Yesterday I started getting 2 more codes along with the B1875. I am also now seeing B1265 (I think read on here that is a false code) and B1262. Could they be on the same circuit? Just seems odd that all the stuff works and these codes are here. Heck, I can't even hear the actuators at all, and everything works! I would say maybe a BCM but I don't think the LS has one and I assume the PCM does what a BCM would do in the newer cars.

B1875 means that the turn signal switch is sometimes giving the wrong resistance value. This resistance is read by the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster generates this code.
B1265 is a false code. It is generated by the DATC. Ignore it.
B1262 says there is sometimes a problem with the actuator for the defrost air door. This code comes from the DATC. It's not uncommon at your car's age. If there is no actual problem, then ignore it.

I think I am going to try and rule out a failing PCM cause of the random codes I have seen over time and all the issues it has had by sending the PCM off for a rebuild. Does that place that you all recommend flash the PCM to the latest software after they rebuild them?

I know you keep wanting to blame the PCM, but why? It has absolutely nothing to do with any of those codes. It is not generating or reporting them. You can unplug the PCM and put it in another room, and your car will still report those same codes (along with a few more that complain that the PCM is no longer talking to the other modules).

The LS does not have a singular BCM. Instead, it has the FEM, the REM, the DATC, the RCM, the instrument cluster, and so on.

Please understand that the PCM on the LS only runs the engine, the transmission, the throttle, and the emissions stuff. It is not at all involved with the codes you have above.

B1875 means that the turn signal switch is sometimes giving the wrong resistance value. This resistance is read by the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster generates this code.
B1265 is a false code. It is generated by the DATC. Ignore it.
B1262 says there is sometimes a problem with the actuator for the defrost air door. This code comes from the DATC. It's not uncommon at your car's age. If there is no actual problem, then ignore it.

I know you keep wanting to blame the PCM, but why? It has absolutely nothing to do with any of those codes. It is not generating or reporting them. You can unplug the PCM and put it in another room, and your car will still report those same codes (along with a few more that complain that the PCM is no longer talking to the other modules).
Also if I end up having problems down the road from B1262 am I safe to assume the dash will have to be removed for that?

The LS does not have a singular BCM. Instead, it has the FEM, the REM, the DATC, the RCM, the instrument cluster, and so on.

Please understand that the PCM on the LS only runs the engine, the transmission, the throttle, and the emissions stuff. It is not at all involved with the codes you have above.

Oh ok, gotcha! Thanks that makes more sense.
If I clear code B1875 soon as I power cycle the car it comes right back. Could there be any other reason that it could come right back when it works each time? The only reason I was thinking of the PCM is cause I thought it acted similar to how the BCM does in more modern cars. I believe you when you say it's not a PCM issue now as I understand your explanation of it.

I managed to order a replacement used multifunction switch and the clock spring itself.
2003 04 05 2006 LINCOLN LS Clock Spring Turn Signal Switch 3W4T-13N064-AL | eBay so I am gonna change out the turn signal switch soon as that arrives and see if the fault comes right back but being it's a used part who knows if it don't have the same exact issue! New is just not an option anymore on a Gen 2. I have found new ones for a Gen 1 but no go on the Gen 2. Also after that explanation am I safe to assume the FEM or is it the instrument cluster that controls the multi-function switch?

Last edited:
The code had went away for the turn signal switch but I went ahead and changed it out anyway just to see if there was any difference. However, I still see the u1262 in the same two places. I wanted to see if changing that turn signal would maybe atleast get rid of u1262. But that's now the only code I see I just see it in the ECU and Message Center according to forsan and OBDlink.

I can clear everything out and the u1262 seems to stay away till I power cycle the car. Does anyone have any ideas on the u1262 aspect of things? I even went ahead and changed out the headlight switch as well cause I saw a headlight code the other day but it also has not since came back. I figured since I had a brand new one of them I might as well try that as well. I doubt the headlight switch was the cause but I was actually planning to change it cause of the dome light knob moving too freely.
0.png
1.png
2.png

Last edited:
Both of my LSes had a U1262 pretty close to every time I scanned them. It would clear and stay away for at least a few minutes, so I never worried about it. I don't remember where, but I have seen it suggested that connecting a scan tool and/or running diagnostics can actually cause this error when there is no actual problem.

Both of my LSes had a U1262 pretty close to every time I scanned them. It would clear and stay away for at least a few minutes, so I never worried about it. I don't remember where, but I have seen it suggested that connecting a scan tool and/or running diagnostics can actually cause this error when there is no actual problem.
Oh ok, so I shouldn't worry about it unless the CEL comes on?

Well, today the B1875 code came back so either I got a bad used one which I kinda doubt or there is a problem someplace else. I guess I am going to have to suck it up and pay to have it diagnosed this time. Otherwise, if you were going to play a guessing game would you say it's possible the front-end electronics module could be wonky? I know I have replaced them in 2 of my previous ones (LS) I don't mind buying a few of the modules to have as backups because I know over time they are going to be very difficult to find at all so I know if I change one and reprogram it and it does not solve my problem then I have a backup one possibly down the road should I ever really need it.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the FEM is not involved with that code, only the instrument cluster.
I think the odds are good that your used replacement switch is throwing the same code. I also think that you can go for years with that code, without any actual operational problem. I think that some of the diagnostic are too sensitive for a 15 + year old car. Contacts are going to have some oxidation on them.

Quote Joegr:

"Contacts are going to have some oxidation on them."

Yup... and the pins in the connectors too. Buy some De-oxit Gold and spray all related connectors.

Well it definitely won't hurt.
Unless you break some of the brittle plastic latches disconnecting them to spray the contacts. There is also the danger of washing out some dielectric grease that might be weather sealing some of the connections.

I would say that it probably won't hurt.

Unless you break some of the brittle plastic latches disconnecting them to spray the contacts. There is also the danger of washing out some dielectric grease that might be weather sealing some of the connections.

I would say that it probably won't hurt.
The connectors and plastics on her seem to be in good shape mainly cause I suspect the car was kept in a garage cause of its overall condition and low mileage. If I were to mess with anything under the hood or in an area where the weather gets to I would use this spray and some new dielectric grease after I was done before I hooked it back up.

Does anyone know if the clockspring part that goes into the turn signal switch came with it when they are new? And what i mean by that if I worded that wrong is, does it come with everything pictured here?
s-l1600.jpg

So if I bought a new turn signal switch does it come with all that?
If so could the B1875 code be coming from the round part instead of the signal switch itself? I just found a brand new one from a Gen 1 that matches the same specs as my gen 2 but I am pretty sure the only difference is the clockspring itself. They didn't have pictures and I just placed the order cause they allow free returns if it does not work. However if it don't I will likely hang onto it for anyone that ever needs a new one if it won't work on my Gen 2.

Last edited:
No, to my knowledge the clockspring never came with the multi-function switch.
No, the clockspring has nothing to do with the signals from the multi-function switch.

I don't know, but it is very possible that the first gen multi-function switch used different resistance values than the 2nd gen one. I know that this is true for the cruise control and radio switch pods.

No, to my knowledge the clockspring never came with the multi-function switch.
No, the clockspring has nothing to do with the signals from the multi-function switch.

I don't know, but it is very possible that the first gen multi-function switch used different resistance values than the 2nd gen one. I know that this is true for the cruise control and radio switch pods.
Gotcha thanks for the fast response! If there is a resistance difference could someone with a tuner change that value on the car to make it all play nice?

Gotcha thanks for the fast response! If there is a resistance difference could someone with a tuner change that value on the car to make it all play nice?
I don't think so. AFAIK, "tuners" are only for the PCM.

If there is a resistance difference... that usually means there is a problem. within the component or wiring to or from.

The resistance built into a component is usually accounted for by the engineer/designer.

Technically... anything that can carry an electrical current is considered a resistor... be it a wire or turn signal bulb filament.

If there is a resistance difference... that usually means there is a problem. within the component or wiring to or from.
Yeah, I understand that but I am using a Gen 1 Part that is new on a Gen 2 or trying it soon as it arrives to my house. Was just really wondering if there was a workaround if they made the Gen 1 part with a different resistance than the Gen 2 part.

Well... like I said above...

"The resistance built into a component is usually accounted for by the engineer/designer."

I would think you would have more of compatibility issue with the plug on the harness matching the Gen 1 MFS... or mounting the Gen 1 switch on the Gen 2 steering column.

Well... like I said above...

"The resistance built into a component is usually accounted for by the engineer/designer."

I would think you would have more of compatibility issue with the plug on the harness matching the Gen 1 MFS... or mounting the Gen 1 switch on the Gen 2 steering column.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I am just hoping they match up to the same plugs mainly and hoping it's like some of the parts on the LS just the same with a different part number. I know it's a shot in the dark but they do have free returns so no risk of wasting money and I can spare a little time to attempt it as that's no big deal.

Members online

Back