Auto Industry Question

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask you guys about this one, as my political knowledge is slim.

I was just browsing the GM fact and fiction website, where upon I came across this piece of info:

GM competes head to head with the best global carmakers in every major market except Japan, which is effectively closed to non-Japanese companies.

http://gmfactsandfiction.com/archives/page/6/

So, am I understanding this right? I thought Japan had stopped it's protectionism? I could have sworn I read articles that said Ford and GM were looking to lose their bad image in Japan and increase their market share there?

So, can any of you guys shed some more light on this?

Figured I'd ask you guys about this one, as my political knowledge is slim.

I was just browsing the GM fact and fiction website, where upon I came across this piece of info:

GM competes head to head with the best global carmakers in every major market except Japan, which is effectively closed to non-Japanese companies.

http://gmfactsandfiction.com/archives/page/6/

So, am I understanding this right? I thought Japan had stopped it's protectionism? I could have sworn I read articles that said Ford and GM were looking to lose their bad image in Japan and increase their market share there?

So, can any of you guys shed some more light on this?

Who knows,,,like our government,,created in a SUPER MAZE,,so noone's to blame. HE DID IT,,NO THEY DID IT,,UUHH I THINK ANOTHER THEY DID IT. Reminds me of the oldie SALLY GO ROUND IN CIRCLES.

i know GM is huge in China, and gaining, but i dont know about Japan, i know they have 'Vettes, i think its just Vettes........Japans weird they also had the whole 280hp 'limit' thing......

I don't think there's specifically a high tariff on American imports into Japan.
There's no demand for them.

And there have been issues of currency values that made U.S. cars more expensive.

Big Three were historically slow in getting cars to market that the Japanese would buy. A classic example, despite huge demand, it took Chrysler a very long time before they would start exporting a Cherokee with right hand drive.

I don't think there's specifically a high tariff on American imports into Japan.
There's no demand for them.

Well, that's good to know. GM's wording on that site mislead me then. I was pretty mad when I read that too! :mad:

Shiryu0: Yeah, GM are apparently doing well in China - with the Buick brand of all things! Lol.

Lol at the 280 BHP limit thing - All the Japanese manufacturers did was lie, then eventually tossed that rule away!

Members online

No members online now.
Back