Attn: Gen I LS Owners

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Look at the March issue of Motor Trend Magazine, The Gen II LS will move to Ford's Volvo-derived D-3 platform. The Gen II LS will be manufactured at Ford's plant in Atlanta. Now if you are a fan of rear wheel drive, I have bad news. The new powerplant will be a compact 4.4 liter, 311 horse power transverse mounted Yamaha V8 currently in the Volvo XC90. What do you think of this news? I am going to get me a LS Gen I before they switch.

the rumor is that an AWD version would follow a year or two after.

I test drove the CTSV at the GM Rolling auto show at epcot this weekend. They had a nice stretch of parking lot set aside to really get in it. Lincoln is going to loose some loyal drivers to this car if they havent already.

whatsupadrian said:
Would a FWD LS be all that bad?

:(
Yes. I would never buy one. The main reason I own an LS is that it was the only American rear-drive sedan (except the Crown Vic, etc., but the Marauder discussion was another thread).

Looks like I'll definately be going back to mother Mopar for my next car (300/Charger).

FWD... For Worthless Drivers... I'm sorry, not to pick on anybody, but I can't stand those damn things with their torque steer and truck like nimbleness. Somebody else posted here that GM finally got the message and is starting to bring back some RWD cars, now Ford and their infinite wis-dumb is making everything front wheel drive.

Two weeks ago I ran into the typical FWD driver. As I sat on a 14% grade with snow and ice, I had to stop as a girl in a cavalier with summer tires slid across the road. She managed to get the car out, I continued on. (By the way, those Pirelli Winter Sports with studs are awesome. I CAN climb a tree!) Anyway, as I pulled out, the car just drove off. There was a guy with the most perplexed look in the other lane. I stopped to see what was the matter, and he asked me if my car was all wheel drive. I said no, rear wheel. He replied, oh, rear wheel drive cars can't go in the snow. I said, yeah you're right, and drove off up the hill and left him by the side of the road.

I don't know where they get their people for their focus groups, but they obviously haven't a clue.

Sorry... I just hate to see the death of another good car.

:soapbox:

Well contrary to what everyone else is saying i think an all wheel drive would be awesome, not necessarily the front wheel drive model but all wheel is nice. I have a subaru that handles awesome on cornering and gets up and goes. Nice for the winters here in the northern part of the country. But i think an all wheel drive for the ls may help the handling even more on these.

I agree the AWD does sound nice but they should bring back the manual tranny and make sure that launching power does not suffer. I have rented a few AWD cars and have not been impressed with the torque at all.

Going to follow the Ford 500 platform... The AWD was nice, but drove like a Truck. The CVT was the quickest shifting auto-tranny I ever drove!

Quik LS said:
the rumor is that an AWD version would follow a year or two after.

But if the AWD is like it is in the XC90, it will still be mostly FWD with only about 10-15% of the power on the rear wheels unless the front has no traction.

eL eS said:
I test drove the CTSV at the GM Rolling auto show at epcot this weekend. They had a nice stretch of parking lot set aside to really get in it. Lincoln is going to loose some loyal drivers to this car if they havent already.

I would agree to that, but the CTS is a MUCH smaller car on the inside. I was actually uncomfortable riding in the passenger seat of a Co-workers 05 CTS recently. I think the LS is just a more refined and comfortable car (and this coming from a GM at heart guy).

But.......

I WILL NOT be considering a GenII LS. No way, no how, you can keep the FWD. That, and I don't think it's going to have the same feel since they're moving away from the phenemonal chassis it's currently being built on.

FWD: They can keep it

It is strange how these corporate guys think. Their reason for the development of the Zephyr as the first entry level Lincoln model was to broaden their customer market. I guess they could care less about customer retention. I think most of us if not all of us buy and love the LS because of its spectacular handling and stiff and rigid RWD layout. This is a true American Luxury Sports sedan that has proven to be able to compete with the likes of BMW and Mercedes. From a marketing standpoint, which is what is most important, the LS has not been as successful because Ford has not marketed the car correctly, not because the car doesnt deliver. I know that is true because when I talk to performance car buffs and I tell them that I own an LS, the first thing that comes to their mind is Lexus. I tell them no, not the LS 430, it is a Lincoln. I was hoping that in this second generation that Ford would take the opportunity to not only retain their current customers but to broaden their customer market by marketing the car more successfully and advertising its great attributes, especially the ones in its current form. By moving to a FWD layout they are ignoring their loyal customer base who have bought the LS for the reasons I have stated and closing the door to performance oriented customers who crave for a true American sport luxury sedan. Certainly NO NEW DOORS are opening at Lincoln like they are at Mercury. TOO BAD.

Jag type-s chassi for the win... I plan on keeping my '01 til it falls apart. I love it like no other. The only thing I kinda miss is the sport of my '99 mustang... But it gets put int he backseat everytime I drive my car =).

:L

Aviatorguy said:
It is strange how these corporate guys think. Their reason for the development of the xxxx as the first entry level xxxx model was to broaden their customer market. I guess they could care less about customer retention......From a marketing standpoint xxxx has not been as successful because xxxx has not marketed the car correctly, not because the car doesnt deliver....I was hoping that XX would take the opportunity to not only retain their current customers but to broaden their customer market by marketing the car more successfully and advertising its great attributes, especially the ones in its current form...They are ignoring their loyal customer base and closing the door to performance oriented customers.

With just a little bit of editing that sounds Uncannily familiar to the sentiments that have been brought forth towards GM in recent years.

It's not the next LS, it's the rebirth of the Taurus SHO LOL. I heard rumors of this setup about 7 years ago, just before the demise of the Gen III SHO... V8 Yamaha, AWD... I even saw a drawing of what it was going to look like.... think Ford Fivehundred on steroids. If I can find that info, I'll post it.

I don't care for high performance FWD cars. I had an 89 SHO and it was worthless in rain if you had to make any kind of turn, especially pulling out of driveways, it was like Russian Roulette whether you could get out without smoking the tires and getting T Boned by a Mac truck.

The SHO had a Yammahopper engine and it was fun to drive but also the most unreliable engine I have had in over 30 years of driving. I think it was rated at one time as one of the Ten Worst cars for reliability by Consumer Reports. It IS unfair of me to think the new Yammaha engine will be different, but then it is supposedly just an advancement on the old SHO engine.

I have driven RWD cars in snow with no more problem that any of the FWD cars I saw on the road. I even saw plenty of FWD cars just parked right on the freeway in traffic lanes during a surprise snow storm. I did just fine in my RWD chebby sedan.

Guess what I am saying, if I have a choice I will not buy a FWD car especially if it is a luxury high performance model.

Glad I have the current gen LS, so far(3,500 miles).

Jim Henderson

I guess I didn't make my point...

Just saying that it's funny how long ago plans were to develop such a car. What it was thought to be years ago, and what it turns out to be badged as in the near future. Its just suprising to me that I talked about this same setup a long time ago with Taurus SHO enthusiasts.

LS vs Charger

Has anyone had a chance to test drive the new Dodge Charger? The SRT 8 version certainly has the power with a 425HP Hemi. I'm curious how the handling compares to the LS. Looking at the specs, the front/rear weight balance doesn't look too bad (54/46), with total weight about 200lb more than the LS. I really like my 2001 LS, but that 425HP Hemi sure has me thinking.

Jim Henderson said:
The SHO had a Yammahopper engine and it was fun to drive but also the most unreliable engine I have had in over 30 years of driving. I think it was rated at one time as one of the Ten Worst cars for reliability by Consumer Reports. It IS unfair of me to think the new Yammaha engine will be different, but then it is supposedly just an advancement on the old SHO engine.

I know it's just your opinion, but I think you are wrong here. The SHO v6 engine is a GREAT engine. GREAT. I don't know much about the v8 version. I was impressed at what a beating it would take and how easy it was to work on. It's just the Ford stuff connected to it that would break. I am a Ford guy, so I don't mean to bash there.

You can also say goodbye to the 50/50 weight balance, I'll bet the nose dives when you slam on the brakes too.

What happened to the whole idea of competing against the Beemer 5 series? I thought that was the reason for building this car?

But honestly, I don't put much stock in these types of rumors. I remember just a few short months ago that SVT was dead and there would never be another Cobra. I mean it was cut in stone! Everyone was stupified! Then look what happens...not only is SVT alive and well, but they are producing the finest and fastest Cobra that Ford has ever built...and a new SVT SUV based on the Explorer Sport Trac in the works as well. Looks like things are still good at Ford in many respects.

Members online

No members online now.
Back