attempted to change fuel pump finally to hopefully stop the cold start problem, but..

Maxx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Disaster. Pump came complete with long hoses that go into fuel tank and socks and all kinds of crap. Back seat removal, first problem a seat belt that would not release, checked the forum and found nothing. SO pried on it and broke it. VIOLA it is released. Found link on fuel pump removal with pics on forum, but this step was a second pic titled 3.jpg that came after 8.jpg. Oh well. Seat out, and big blue ring off, no problem. Took a lot of research to find out how to remove fuel line, VIOLA fuel pump almost out. 2 lines that are the length of the damn car go inside the tank and even with my arms submerged in the gas tank and gas, could not reach the fittings. Called wrecker and am waiting on it now. Should have just driven it to the Ford place since that is where it is headed.

Okay...

1. The center seatbelt releases by pushing something (like a folded out paperclip) into the tiny hole in the plastic of the buckle.

2. The trick to the long hoses is that you have to take the ring off the transfer pump (driver's side) and lift it part way out. Then you can release the hoses at that end. Tie a string to them before you pull them out. Then you can use the string to pull them back to the other side when you are putting it back together.

Instructions for the next person-

Seat belt: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1a019.htm~gen~ref.htm
Fuel pump: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xa1007.htm~gen~ref.htm

Thanks Joe, you are always in the know about these things and I wish I had your will power. As we speak it is on its way down the road. BTW what is the purpose of the seat belt buckle that you can't undo without a straightened paper clip?

good then I don't have to worry about some more electronic crap that won't work when I get the POS back. Was worried about that.

I don't want to start anything here, but...

I do wonder why anyone would keep a car that they consider to be a POS.

There seems to be a lot of that going on here... If I hated my car that much I would certainly get rid of it; even if I had to take a loss.

for the same reason that they bought a POS instead of a well maintained, low mileage, garage kept car in the first place...

I have yet to figure this out "POS"

It seems to me that the OP took on a job that was clearly out of his range of DIY.
My first rule of thumb is this "sometimes it's best to outsource then to realize, you should have outsourced only after you F'D something up".

I have yet to figure this out "POS"

It seems to me that the OP took on a job that was clearly out of his range of DIY.
My first rule of thumb is this "sometimes it's best to outsource then to realize, you should have outsourced only after you F'D something up".

Sometimes I feel like things are beyond my range. Then there are those things that are definitely beyond my range. I'm willing to take things on that are outside of what I have done before because, with assistance, I will learn something new and won't have to be raped by the dealer or a mechanic the next time. Plus I may be able to help someone else who has the same issue. I think it's good that the OP tried something that may have been beyond his current skill set (no judgements, I don't know him). He is at least man enough to figure out when he is defeated and needs to call in the brigade. Cheers to the OP. I would have never tried this particular job myself. That tank of gas would scare the CACA out of me. LOL

Well for starters, the POS (piece of ****) was a car that was bought with 79000 miles by me from the original owner, a girl who's daddy owned the biggest Ford dealership in the area. Other than the multiple burns from her drunken college days and a crumpled passenger side headlight from an encounter with a deer, it was a pretty nice care for 7 grand, I talked them to 5500 cash. It now has 190000 on it, because I am a fed (OIG) who drives a 124 mile commute, and while I have the avail to a GSA vehicle, at the time I prefer the Lincoln because it is not stripped to the bone as is the GSA. Next, the guys on this forum, like most forums, are somewhat professionals on the subject matter and almost always condescending when talking to those who ask questions, see above. I am no mechanic, and when you see posts talking about the ease of application, you think maybe I can. Everything in the instructions here and on the net mention parts of the job not A to Z because some are changing only the pump motor and such. Mechanical things are logical, they work a certain way and they eventually break. This particular vehicle is constantly needing something. There are those whose daddy sent them to a tech school, those whose dad may have taken them out under a shade tree and taught them how to do things, and then there are those that join the military, serve their time, and are rewarded with a top notch education and thereby a job that allows them to hire somebody to fix things that break, that would be me. However, I still like to try when I can. This seemed easy from all the videos I watched and NONE of them showed those two long hoses reaching to the other pump being dealt with. So I hope this helps explain my position better.

Blue, everything is out of my range. I have more and better tools than most mechanic shops and twice as many as most contractors who remodel houses, and all of them new and pretty much unused, but like I said, I have more money than time, and the only knowledge of anything outside what I do for a living is learned from DIY TV and these forums.

On a good note, once I pulled the pump and jet pump I noticed it was nice and clean in the tank.

Yep, the plastic gas tanks these days are much nicer than the rusty metal ones from the 70's were.

Well the mechanic called, changed the pump and it still won't start unless coaxed thirty plus times. He is going to check other crap. I am no mechanic but should these symptoms not tell a mechanic what is wrong? How many things could be wrong with it?

Members online

Back