Atco Raceway last night. New PB

1994MarkVIII

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
MarkVIII141.jpg

Track conditions were perfect last night. Of course I did some weight reduction by having the passenger seat out and no spare in the trunk. Im pretty impressed with my times in my car. Really my only major mods are my exhaust (stock manifolds), Intake, Ignition wires, and higher amp alternator. Ran on street tires at 22 psi and I was dead hooking. I feel if Im running 14.16 now, once I get gears, a tune, and more weight reduction ill easily be low 13s. As I am right now if I were to put my skinnys on the front and get my race seat in the car Ill have atleast a 13.9 if not better. Never would of thought Id have my lincoln running this good. Only bad part of the night was some jerk cutting a vacuum line while I was in the stands when I left the car to cool down :(.

That is an awesome mph for a low 14 man.:) I can tell by your slip that car still has something on the table. The skinny tire setup up front will save you enough weight to probably lower your 60' times which in turn should net you some better times. I was in the low 14s just like you last year. What broke my time was the Cobra intake, a slight gear change, and shifting beyond 6500 rpms out of 1st and 2nd gear. The Cobra intakes really shine at the upper rpms and my stock Gen2 intake didn't hold a candle to the deep breath the car takes now. The car was dead at 6000 rpms on the stocker. Since you have the weaker Gen1 valve springs, I would be cautious with the rpms. Maybe address that issue with your tuner.

What are your mods now?

I'm willing to bet you can put your seat back in next year and still run 13s. :D

Just a FYI the Gen 2 beehive springs are not stronger then gen1 springs they are lighter along with retainer. Valvetrain does not like weight. Lighter lets it better follow the cam lobe and not go into "valve float".

Just a FYI the Gen 2 beehive springs are not stronger then gen1 springs they are lighter along with retainer. Valvetrain does not like weight. Lighter lets it better follow the cam lobe and not go into "valve float".

Thanks for the info. Ya learn something new everyday I guess.:p I wouldn't mine some heavier internals though. :cool:

There isn't anything more as far as mods go. I mean I dont have the air ride anymore so I guess the coils would help with weight transfer. Previous time I went to the track my rear was slipping so I did a fluid change and now its stronger than ever. Im going to probably run it again soon with some skinnys and the race seat. Want to hit a 13s with the original 3.08 one wheel peel rear :), no tune, and no major mods. If I get her 13s Ill be very happy. After that Ill be looking into gears and what not.

There isn't anything more as far as mods go. I mean I dont have the air ride anymore so I guess the coils would help with weight transfer. Previous time I went to the track my rear was slipping so I did a fluid change and now its stronger than ever. Im going to probably run it again soon with some skinnys and the race seat. Want to hit a 13s with the original 3.08 one wheel peel rear :), no tune, and no major mods. If I get her 13s Ill be very happy. After that Ill be looking into gears and what not.

That's impressive. As a Gen2 owner, I envy you lol. It took me lots of bolt-ons to get into the 13s. Rub it in why don't ya! :p

I understand what you saying about wait but I have hear of people breaking springs in Gen ones not float but brake never heard this from a Gen 2 also I here 95 was the worst for valve springs

I understand what you saying about wait but I have hear of people breaking springs in Gen ones not float but brake never heard this from a Gen 2 also I here 95 was the worst for valve springs

There was a bad batch of 1995 springs for the most part. And in his text he was refering to RPM capibilities.. Beehives can handle more RPM because there lighter. Different peeps will define "stronger" in different ways. All springs are rated in open and seat pressure thats how "strong" they are. Being that 95 springs break in old lady daily drives shows there was a flaw and normal RPM can affect them. But I do get where your post is coming from 100% it was super late and didn't remember to add that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back