Ask a Professional Detailer...

I have a cloth top on my mark and wanted to know the best way to maintain the appearance.
thanks

Great question! I wash the soft top like normal to remove loose contaminants. After the wash,with the top still damp, I spray the 303 Convertible Top Cleaner on any stains or dirty areas and I may just mist it over the whole top. I then agitate the stains or dirty areas with a soft brush. Work the stains in multiple different directions and don't pressure to hard, unless you are comfortable with using more pressure. When you are done you can rinse the top again to help remove dirt and road grime that has been broken up. Next dry the top thoroughly and then let air dry. When it's thoroughly dry I highly recommend protecting the top with the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. It helps repel moisture, dirt, dust, etc. This helps preserve the top and makes future cleanings much easier. If you have any questions about this process please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Hey, thanks for shipping my two orders in the same box guys, I appreciate it. What is your method for Optibond Tire Gel? I've heard people dilute it 1:1 but even then it is still thick.

Hey, thanks for shipping my two orders in the same box guys, I appreciate it. What is your method for Optibond Tire Gel? I've heard people dilute it 1:1 but even then it is still thick.

No problem at all, I'm glad we could help you out and we appreciate your support. I personally use the Opti-Bond Tire Gel at full strength and just apply it thin. I pour a small amount on our Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator and buff on really thin coats stretching the product relatively thin. One application leaves the tires very wet and glossy looking, I love the results. However the 1:1 dilution also makes sense, here is the directions for application directly from Optimum.

"Opti-Bond Tire Gel can be applied a couple of ways. You can wipe it on with a foam applicator, just like a traditional tire dressing. The other option is to dilute the gel 1:1 with water and apply it with a spray gun. The gun will deliver a fine mist over the tires and wheel wells. This is a great option for professional detailers and garages. Wipe away excess tire gel with a foam pad or a lint-free towel."

If you have any other questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Nice, I think I'll try it your way. I like it glossy and wet.

Hey all. Was in AutoZone the other day and ended up looking at a kit and considered buying it. It was a Meguiars Clay Bar kit, came with 2 Clay bars, a spray bottle of the lube stuff, and an mf towel. About 18 bucks, but before I buy it I figured I'd ask those who know best. I've never clay barred my car before (2000 Continental) so do you think the stuff is ok, or should i look for something better?

Go with the Clay magic Blue kit. it's just as good (if not better), and is cheaper. meg's is good too though.

thanks a lot, i'll pick some up now that ill be done with school in a few days and i can put some time into the car.

Any tips for using a clay bar? I've never used one before but I've heard its easy to screw up and mess up the clearcoat and paint

Any tips for using a clay bar? I've never used one before but I've heard its easy to screw up and mess up the clearcoat and paint

Just use ample lubricator via a quick detailer or diluted quick detailer(more cost efficient) and you'll be fine. Don't drop the clay, break it into smaller pieces. When the surface becomes somewhat dirty, knead it until a fresh piece again (clean surface). If you drop it, you must throw it away. If you use an average consumer clay like Meguiar's or Mother's it can't really do anything to the paint if you use it properly. There are some more aggressive clays that can marr the paint, but I wouldn't say its even close to a major issue.

We have a thorough write up on the topic in our Detailing Guide Clay Bar section. I would highly recommend you read this section and then please let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Canvas top woes

I have a cloth top on my mark and wanted to know the best way to maintain the appearance.
thanks

Same here, both my Marks has a black canvas top. I would LOVE to know how to maintain and properly clean it. On the Mark VII it looks wonderful, but the Mark VIII look like the previous owner didn't believe in cleaning it at all :mad:
It has old dust stains embedded deep into the grain. You don't notice it unless you come up very close to the car. Plain soap/water won't do; when it dries it comes back.

We have a thorough write up on the topic in our Detailing Guide Clay Bar section. I would highly recommend you read this section and then please let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Thanks a bunch. My 2000 Conti has stock rims and the fronts get ugly from brake dust, will the clay bar have much of a difference if I clay the rims?

clay and rims don't mesh well, however you can use some tar and adhisvie remover and it will benefit you with enough runbbing

Same here, both my Marks has a black canvas top. I would LOVE to know how to maintain and properly clean it. On the Mark VII it looks wonderful, but the Mark VIII look like the previous owner didn't believe in cleaning it at all :mad:
It has old dust stains embedded deep into the grain. You don't notice it unless you come up very close to the car. Plain soap/water won't do; when it dries it comes back.

Wash the top with soap that has conditioners like Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II or Poorboy's World Super Slick and Suds. After a nice wash I blot dry the surface with the waffle weave microfiber drying towel. Blot drying is just pressing down with the towel and then lifting it up and moving it to another area to repeat, instead of dragging it across the top and possibly leaving lint behind (far less likely with a microfiber waffle weave drying towel). After the top is cleaned spot treat any areas with the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover or 303 Convertible Top Cleaner (same exact product, just marketed differently). Spray the area and let it sit for 1 –2 minutes and then scrub lightly with a clean scrub brush to break up any stains. I spray stains heavily and other areas I just lightly mist, then work the brush from the middle towards the outside. After you have thoroughly cleaned the top and its completely dry tape off the edges of the convertible top. Now your ready to use the 303 Fabric Guard to protect the top from sand, moisture, mildew, bird droppings, pollution, contaminates, etc. Hold a rag near the area you’re spraying to ensure there is no over spray onto any other part of the vehicle. Spray carefully across the convertible top in a logical pattern to evenly coat the surface with the spray. If you spray it on the paint, wipe it up right away. To help prevent over spray I will sometimes cut the bottom out of a shoebox and spray in the middle of the box. After I spray an area I'll wipe it into the top with a clean rag. These two steps should clean the top well and keep it well protected. We have all of these products available at www.detailedimage.com if you are interested in them.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Thanks a bunch. My 2000 Conti has stock rims and the fronts get ugly from brake dust, will the clay bar have much of a difference if I clay the rims?

You certainly can use a clay bar on the rims but I don't use it to regularly on them. I generally recommend cleaning the wheels with a quality product like the P21S Wheel Gel or Chemical Guys Wheel and Rim Citrus Cleaner. Both of these options are safe on all wheels and work well. After this step you can try using a clay bar to remove surface contaminants. However if stains remain I generally use a quality metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer. It deep cleans the surface and can often remove stubborn brake dust and road grime. Sometimes a second application is needed with more pressure to remove more stains.

I also recommend protecting your wheels after with the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This makes the wheels much easier to clean in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

clay and rims don't mesh well, however you can use some tar and adhisvie remover and it will benefit you with enough runbbing

Depends on the wheel finish. Chrome and claybars dont' mix well. Not sure about unfinished metal, but I wouldn't use it on those either. On clear coated wheels, you can use clay. on chrome, you can use a more acidic cleaner. on unfinished metal, you can use something like P21S polishing soap, or finish restorer. I prefer the polishing soap on bigger areas, as the restorer can be a little more difficult to work in larger quantities.

As for tar and adhesive remover, that does work great. kustomizingkid and I are each getting a gallon of Autosmart Tardis. One of the BEST products available for this purpose. It even works spectacular on the vehicle's paint surface.

They just don't sell or import it into the US. So you have to fly it in under the radar :shifty:

You know, I'm not sure why it's not available here. I just no there are no US distributors. So I guess it may not be that they can't ship it. It may just be that there is no one closer than the UK to get it. And shipping hazardous liquids overseas is not the easiest task to accomplish. The guy we are getting it from had 2 55 gallon drums shipped to him.

So, with the new car, what would you recommend as starting out with to protect the various car surfaces? I didn't buy any of the dealer junk - so it is straight from the factory.

I haven't had a new car before, so not sure what to do to keep it looking great!

So, with the new car, what would you recommend as starting out with to protect the various car surfaces? I didn't buy any of the dealer junk - so it is straight from the factory.

I haven't had a new car before, so not sure what to do to keep it looking great!

Great question. Caring for a new vehicle right away is the best time to start. Prevention is so much easier than fixing problems from years of abuse. I recommend getting on a schedule that works for you to do a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year and then some shorter maintenance details throughout the year. As for the products I recommend you look at two kits we have created:

DI Packages New Car Care Starter Kit
DI Packages New Car Care Advanced Kit

Both kits will have everything you need to care for you car from bumper to bumper, inside and out. The kit will mention each product and explain where and how it's used. If you prefer a simpler routine I would suggest just picking out the products that would help you most with your goals.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Members online

No members online now.
Back