Ask a Professional Detailer...

Cleaning while not adding scratches can be challenging. The key is having a good metal polish and making sure you don't grind in contaminates. I really like the deep polishing power of the P21S Finish Restorer. I would apply this with one or multiple clean microfiber towels. If tar or contaminates become embedded in your towel you need to use a fresh surface so you don't grind in the contaminates. Multiple clean towels is usually key to doing anything safely when detailing. I prefer microfiber towels for polishing and really any kind of cleaning. Let me know if you have any other detailing questions I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Here is a question for you: How can I make sure that my local detailer is qualified to make my Mark look as good as possible? I have heard horror stories about detailers that make mistakes during the buffing process, and actually make the paint worse, not better. Is there a industry standard I should be looking for? Thanks!

There really is no way to know the quality of the work without seeing it first hand. Ask for references and see if someone who had extensive work will let you inspect their car's finish. There are a ton of crappy detailers out there who claim to know it all. When they skimp and do a halfassed job, you may not see it for weeks thereafter as a good coat of wax will cover up most botched jobs. Typically, in my experience, the dealer doesn't normally have its own detailer, they outsource to someone else. Your best bet is to go to a professional detail shop that specializes solely in wash/detail services. And always remember that white and very light colored cars, like silver and whatnot can be done by just about anyone because they had poor work. The darker the color, the more you'll be able to see deficiancies. What color is your car and what are you lookin to have done?

This may be a stupid question.

Hi, I've been looking at a lot of your products and packages, I was wondering what the difference between waterless carwash and instant detailer was: pros and cons of both and also do they really work. Thanks for your time.

Guys I just wanted to let you know I am back on the forum. I apologize for my absence but I'm back to help all detailers get the most out of your work. Let me know if I can help you!

Greg @ Detailed Image

Hi Greg
I wonder if you could recomend a product for the black plastic ext parts and also an interior cleaner. I use the store bought products but I was wondering if there something the pro's use. T.I.A. Redbed

Redbed, try out Black Wow for exterior plastics. For interior cleaning, I use an extremely diluted solution of Optimum Power Clean and distilled water. Then I dress the interior plastics with einszett cockpit premium.

These are some of the best products you can buy for the given areas you requested.

OPC works very well on wheels/wells/ and even on the paintwork for road grime.

I might have to pick up some Cockpit Premium... I'm a staunch Megs #40 fan, but I'm always open to trying new products.

CP is one of the most matte looks you can get. If you don't like the matte finish, you probably don't want it. Figured I'd give you that information before you purchase it.

And if you don't like it, I'll either buy it from you, or trade you something for it :D

Hi Greg
I wonder if you could recomend a product for the black plastic ext parts and also an interior cleaner. I use the store bought products but I was wondering if there something the pro's use. T.I.A. Redbed

I really like to use the Poorboy's World Trim Restorer. It helps remove contaminants and restore a darker appearance to the trim. For the interior cleaning I absolutely love the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. I use it on the doors, console, trim, dashboard, arm rests and more. For protection I spray the 303 Aerospace Protectant as well. It leaves a nice dark finish and valuable UV protection but without the gloss and oily feeling many other products have. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

What do you recommend for leather care?

For leather care the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean are hands down my favorite leather care products. They have deep cleaning and conditioning power to restore and maintain leather like new. Best of all it's our May special at Detailed Image so you can save over 20% off this month only. If you want a one step option try the Poorboy's World Leather Stuff!

Greg @ Detailed Image

I've been keeping a tally... I'm stuck between Leatherique and Zaino.

I'm currently using Lexol products and am not satisfied.

Lexol is a pretty good product man, it is ( or was, dunno if it has changed) the only product mercedes-benz recommened be used on their leather surfaces. I use Meg's at my place though, it performs excellent and has a well known brand name to boot.

I've been keeping a tally... I'm stuck between Leatherique and Zaino.

I'm currently using Lexol products and am not satisfied.

I understand it can be tough to choose. I honestly don't think there is one right answer so it's really up to you. For me lexol has always provided okay results. Certainly nothing is wrong with it but it leaves something to be desired and that is why I feel so strongly about the Leatherique products. They just seem to work great on every kind of leather seat you use them on. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Greg,
What do you think of zymol wheel coat? i've been using it for years and am curious if there is a better product for chrome? What about aluminum?
Thanks
Jeff

what process do you use with the jetseal 109 do you just apply by hand and buff off after 15 min or so

I might have to try both!

My only problem with Lexol is that it doesn't seem to do anything at all.... the cleaner really seems to do nothing...

I will probably buy some Leatherique while it is on sale though!

You're right about that, the cleaner isn't worth the jug its sold in. But between the regular and light leather conditioner they sell, you just about can't go wrong.

Greg,
What do you think of zymol wheel coat? i've been using it for years and am curious if there is a better product for chrome? What about aluminum?
Thanks
Jeff

I haven't honestly used, nor have I heard of others using it so I can't say. To clean metal surfaces and coated metals I use the P21S Finish Restorer. It's a deep cleaning formula that works really well for me. For protection of wheels, exhaust tips and other metal surfaces I recommend the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It's designed to resist high temperature brake dust and other road grime. This makes future cleanings faster, easier and safer. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image

what process do you use with the jetseal 109 do you just apply by hand and buff off after 15 min or so

It can be applied by hand or with a buffer. If you apply it with a buffer I use a paint safe applicator like a microfiber applicator or a foam applicator. If you use a buffer I use my softest foam pad like the Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad. After I apply a nice thin coat I wait about 10 - 15 minutes before buffing off the excess residue. Use a paint safe towel like the DI All Purpose Microfiber Towel. If you want more specifics check out our Detailing Guide! Let me know if you need more details.

Greg @ Detailed Image

I might have to try both!

My only problem with Lexol is that it doesn't seem to do anything at all.... the cleaner really seems to do nothing...

I will probably buy some Leatherique while it is on sale though!

I assure you're going to love the Leatherique products, especially if you get them while they are on sale. Make sure you are reading our Detailing Guide to maximize your efforts. We have a specific guide for leatherique products that should help you get outstanding results. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image

cloth top question

I have a cloth top on my mark and wanted to know the best way to maintain the appearance.
thanks

Staff online

Members online

Back