Are 11's possible without a power adder?

rocket5979 said:
I am just curious as to why some of you are aiming for 11's N/A? I am not knocking it in any way, just want to see why your going for it in N/A form?

Short answer, for me, is this.

Gimmie enough nitro and ill make a TC limo hit 11's (engine might not e worth anything afterwards though)

I dont wanna cheat. I think if nitrous as cheating to a certain extent. To mw, nitro is fine for adding just a little extra - but it takes work and creivity to get there n/a

Joeychgo said:
Short answer, for me, is this.

Gimmie enough nitro and ill make a TC limo hit 11's (engine might not e worth anything afterwards though)

I dont wanna cheat. I think if nitrous as cheating to a certain extent. To mw, nitro is fine for adding just a little extra - but it takes work and creivity to get there n/a

Ok that cool. That seems like the answer most fella's use when deciding to stay N/A. I gotta admire you guys. For making the big horsepower it gets really really hard to do when staying N/A and stock stroke/displacement. I am one of those people that like to cheat with F/I, which is only due to me wanting well above the horsepower limitations (600rwhp on a 4.6 V8)that a N/A setup could get me. Either way it is all fun. My hats off to you gentlemen.

MrWilson said:
yeah, i was just pricing everything out today, and it came to about $11.5...so, iv changed my mind on whats going down...im gonna forge the internals (ill see about the stroker kit still, i hope ill still be able to afford it though) get the heads ported, mildly upgrade the valvetrain, and put a kenne bell 1.7 on top. that comes to anywhere from about $7000-$8000 (pre install).

for the kb you will need (help me out) c head( tumble ports) which you dont have in the mk8 which will cost another 700-1000 bucks and new header to match the exhuast port on the heads. you will also need to do other minor upgrades.. a/f, a tune, install price if someone else is going to do it. you will also need custom tubing for the kb. might as well sell that 4.6 and get a pushrod .........much cheaper.......or look for a 03/04 cobra motor..i know someone that just bought just the motor just 3,500$$$

Joeychgo said:
I do want it streetable and passing emmissions - streetable as a daily driver

as for passing emmisions it would have to be , Old like a '69 where as most emmisions , Or a diesel witch dont have to be smoged and drop a gas power plant.

daily driver ?? I would say your nerves will be shot in less than 3 months , tires always braking loose , 1 drop of rain on the ground and you'll have to pull off the road. Cops driving by your house all the time.

before I would set my sites on it , find someone who has a 11 sec car and have them take you for a ride,

I've been in a few cars that have had no business on the road , V8 vega , 68 Cutless (that took the paint of the street on a launch)
All these guys said they be daily driver, and end up in the drive way. One guy who had to go to the airport to filler up. he spent more on the gas than the engen in a year.

I owned a 72 ford currier with a 302 w/ 4 sp , in no way was it 12 sec car yet
I spent lots of time side ways it got to the point I wouldnt use first gear hell I
blew away a chevy full size truck with a 350 in it staring in 3rd.

just tonite a was passing a corvette (it was raining) and they must have not liked it or thought I was tryn to rase them they jumped on it and almost fishtailed in to my lane. but it was a girl driving it

in the words of Ralph Nader "Unsafe at any speed"

lincolnboy said:
for the kb you will need (help me out) c head( tumble ports) which you dont have in the mk8 which will cost another 700-1000 bucks and new header to match the exhuast port on the heads. you will also need to do other minor upgrades.. a/f, a tune, install price if someone else is going to do it. you will also need custom tubing for the kb. might as well sell that 4.6 and get a pushrod .........much cheaper.......or look for a 03/04 cobra motor..i know someone that just bought just the motor just 3,500$$$

All he would have to do is swap out to either SOHC 2V PI heads and use the Kenne Bell 1.7 or 2.2 kits for the 99-04 Mustang Gt's or swap to a set of 03-04 Cobra heads and use the KB 2.2 or 2.4 kit for that(making sure that you ordered the IC assembly too).

For the price of getting an 03-04 Cobra motor you can have a fully built bottom end capable of handling way more than even the stock forged bottom end of the 03-04 Cobra's.

Even if he did that engine swap to something else all of that stuff that you said would still need to be done. As for reverting back to the older, and way less mod friendly pushrod motors... Not that they are bad or anything but why take a step in the wrong direction? The 3.9, 4.6 and 5.4 modular V8 stock heads flow extremely well, so why restrict yourself by going back to a pushrod head design with less combustion/flow friendly heads and more operating parts that can break, fly out, or otherwise cause havoc? And lets not even mention the fact of having to swap and tune for managing a totally different engine system as compared to the perfectly capable type of system that is already in his car.

I say get a set of used 03-04 Cobra heads for real cheap, run the kit at 8 psi on the stock bottom end till your used to the power and ready to build the bottom end and then swap the heads and everything to a built shortblock and turn up the wick to 15-20 psi(if you get the KB 2.2 or 2.4).

The even cheaper route, but still able to make tons of power, is swapping down to 2V PI heads from a 99-04 Mustang GT and using the KB kit for them.

If you want to stay n/a, and you are looking at spending that kind of money, I would seriously consider buying the 5.0 Cammer motor. It comes with the best heads and cams you can get from Ford and makes a ton of hp. You can also order it complete with an ECM tuned just for it.

DO NOT buy a used set of 03/04 Cobra heads!! They have been updated several times since introduction due to the "tick". If you want Cobra heads, buy only those that were released in January of 05. Those seem to be the cure and also come with more spark plug threads to prevent blowing the plug out. They are something like $1500 for a pair...complete!

2001LS8Sport said:
If you want to stay n/a, and you are looking at spending that kind of money, I would seriously consider buying the 5.0 Cammer motor. It comes with the best heads and cams you can get from Ford and makes a ton of hp. You can also order it complete with an ECM tuned just for it.

DO NOT buy a used set of 03/04 Cobra heads!! They have been updated several times since introduction due to the "tick". If you want Cobra heads, buy only those that were released in January of 05. Those seem to be the cure and also come with more spark plug threads to prevent blowing the plug out. They are something like $1500 for a pair...complete!

The 5.0 Cammer motor is a great motor and all but it is overpriced. You can build a 5.0 or even a 5.3 stroker/big bore with some nice Cobra R heads and make some serious power for allot less than the cammer crate motor. If you just want to drop in allot of power and don't mind spending more money then by all means get the cammer.

The reccomendation for buying used heads was based upon keeping the budget somewhat low. Buying a set of used Cobra heads and then reworking them to take out the tick is not too bad an option and will save money.

Members online

Back