Anyone had Lasik surgery?

Marcus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering this, but I'm most concerned about night vision. I'm kind of an astronomy nut and couldn't tolerate having to deal with flares and other distortions. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Nope. I have better than 20/20 vision though, which is awesome. What do you mean by flares and such?

Nope. I have better than 20/20 vision though, which is awesome. What do you mean by flares and such?
Some people report seeing halos and flares around light sources at night. It has to do with the fact that your pupil is open wider and the procedure doesn't necessarily correct your cornea around its outside edge, so when the pupil is wide open the outer edge isn't in proper focus and you see halos. However, I've read that this condition has been somewhat eliminated with better techniques. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had it done and if they have had any problems.

Example:
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-pupil-size.htm

Make sure you talk to an ophthalmologist (an MD who specializes in diseases and surgery of the eye), not just someone at a lasik center--in some states, lasik is not considered a surgical procedure, and can be performed by technicians instead of MDs. Personally, I went to an ophthalmologist who does lasik, but is not associated with a lasik center; according to her, the lasik horror stories almost all come from procedures done by technicians instead of MDs.

When I looked into lasik, she sent me off to a lab to have my eyes checked by some kind of 3D scanner, and, based on comparisons of those measurements with the eye exam she performed, she refused to do the procedure (apparently, my astigmatism is not in the cornea). She said some lasik centers might do it for me, but she wouldn't because the numbers didn't add up, which meant that the risks (which are present in any medical procedure) outweighed the potential benefits.

All I know is that my wife's 80 something year old grandfather had it done and could see better and farther at night than I could.

I had LASIK done 3 years ago.

The concern over the halos is real.
The first few months were real bad for me, night time driving was a PITA.
Every headlight had a huge halo.
LED lights were hard to look at, they are far worse then any other kind of light.
I was on a fishing trip the 2nd week after it was done, we were using lighted bobbers night fishing, mine looked 1 foot in diameter when it was in the water.
I was pissed at the time.

I went in for my first check up and the ophthalmologist who did my eyes assured me it will go away, and had a chart were you could show how bad of a halo you were getting.
He told me it was normal not to worry about it.
Funny how they don't show you the chart before you have the procedure done :rolleyes:

It did get a lot better after 6 months but for me it never did fully go away.

I have dry eye, the halos are gone if I can manage to keep drops in them.
I notice it if I work to many hours, then drive at night.
LEDs can still give me problems.

I never have had a problem natural light.
But I never tried to look though a telescope at night when I was going though the worst halos.

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now I would still get it done.
I was at a point were contacts would drive me nuts.
Glasses just plain suck, I had them for over 35 years.

Its the simple stuff.
Being out in the rain, coming inside from the cold and your glasses fog up.
Swimming, falling asleep with the TV on.

As far as the procedure its a snap, no problem.
When they slice your eye it smells like you singed your hair.
Its over fast, then it feels like you have sand in your eyes for a couple hours.
Take a nap, wake up and WOW you can see. :cool:

Sorry to bring up and old thread, I just had this done 2 days ago and man, the fogginess and the night time halos are awful. Your post is encouraging Ford Nut but I don't want to wait months to drive at night - I drive at night all the time. Hoping it will get better in a week or two after my eyes heal up they are still pretty bruised right now.

The first few days are the worst, it will get better.

I still have some issues when my eyes are tired, give it some time you will love it.
I am still very happy I had this done, I would do it all over again.

Thanks - I was starting to get worried there. The doctor put no restrictions on night driving or even mentioned this would be a problem. It definitely is, but I don't mind if it clears up in a week or two. Just makes you nervous when you don't know.

I had my Lasik done way back in 2001 with very good results. I did have some haloing and dry eyes at first, but that all went away after a couple of months. After 30 years of wearing glasses, it was a joy to toss them out and my vision is better now than it was when I was 10.

The technology is also so much better now than when I had my procedure. But my best advice to you would be.....
"You get what you pay for."
DO NOT go to a $499 clinic to have your eyes done.

I went to a board certified Ophthalmologist, who was recommended by my Optometrist. He used state of the art techniques and equipment, cost a lot more than other doctors, but he was well worth every penny.

It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Yeah, I had it done at a reputable place and it costed a lot plus it came with a recommendation. I'm hoping it will get better in a few weeks like you've said.

The doctor put no restrictions on night driving or even mentioned this would be a problem.
That's odd--potential problems with night vision was one of the side effects specifically mentioned to me when I was looking into the procedure.

That's odd--potential problems with night vision was one of the side effects specifically mentioned to me when I was looking into the procedure.

Same here. My doctor told me about all of the possible side effects and the chances for a less than positive outcome. Everything was discussed and nothing was held back.

I forgot to mention that my wife also had the Lasik procedure done 6 months after me, by the same surgeon. Her results were also excellent.

I really want to do it too. The most experienced Dr in the world has his office close by. Hes done over 100,000 of them and uses the all laser proceedure. One day I will plunk teh cash down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back