Anyone had any performance gains from better spark plugs

docsayler

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put the bosch +4 spark plugs in and noticed any performance gains, or are they a waste of money.

1st spark plugs do not add HP. It can give back lost HP but to my knowledge there is no way to grant extra HP.

I did just buy some denso iridium plugs and installed them and I did notice an improvement in throttle response. But after all I have learned I could have gotten the same response from the 3 dollar motorcraft plugs. Good plugs that have not thermally degenrated will more than likely result in the same response.

I bought these more for their stated ability to disipate heat. So it is my hopes that they will help prevent the coils from soaking when they get hot becasue it causes misfire.

eL eS said:
1st spark plugs do not add HP. It can give back lost HP but to my knowledge there is no way to grant extra HP.

I did just buy some denso iridium plugs and installed them and I did notice an improvement in throttle response. But after all I have learned I could have gotten the same response from the 3 dollar motorcraft plugs. Good plugs that have not thermally degenrated will more than likely result in the same response.

I bought these more for their stated ability to disipate heat. So it is my hopes that they will help prevent the coils from soaking when they get hot becasue it causes misfire.

Could not of said better myself

:I

You shouldn't/wouldn't get any HP gains from new spark plugs... The combustion of the air/fuel mixture is a constant (as long as the mixture stays constant).. Just like you wouldn't get a bigger bang by making a can of gas explode with a match vs. lighting it with a blowtorch.... SAME BOOM!!! I know.. dumb example, but you get the idea.

Autolite 764's at WalMart for a $1/pc. Can't beat them. Heck, change them out 2-3 times a year if you want for that price.

eL eS said:
I would run that route with my plugs but doing a tune up on the V6 is a big pain in the BLEEP!
Ya sorry about that. I forget some times. On the 2nd Gen mark, doing plugs is the easist of ANY car that is out there. 15 minutes tops, if you really move along. DOHC (hemi) cars rock!

Yeah they over engineered this car. Hydraulic cooling fan motor. 5years later and I am still scrathing my head.

It take about a day to do mine since i have to remove the TB and intake manifold.Yep still scratching my head on the 100k mile tune up. I now consider this idea a propganda campaign waged on us to make us buy into the notion so they could over engineer the BLEEPIN' thing.

Not in an LS but I HAVE found power in using a colder than stock plug, and heres why.
Whether or not you know it the car is close to running into the knock sensors, even with good gas it happens.And when that happens the computer retards the timing as to not hurt the engine.So switching to a colder heat range plug keeps you off the knock sensor and doesnt make the computer retard the timing.
I have personally seen as much as 8-10 HP by switching from a new set of autolite 764s to a colder motorcraft plug.

In one of my dads dodge work trucks he refused to run good gas in it and it detonated like crazy even at part throttle.I switched to a colder plug and the detonation was gone.

LBK_LS said:
You shouldn't/wouldn't get any HP gains from new spark plugs... The combustion of the air/fuel mixture is a constant (as long as the mixture stays constant).. Just like you wouldn't get a bigger bang by making a can of gas explode with a match vs. lighting it with a blowtorch.... SAME BOOM!!! I know.. dumb example, but you get the idea.

Boy I wish I had read this post sooner. I just singed my eyebrows off because I didn't think a cig. lighter would cause my LP tank to explode. I thought it would take at least 3 lighters to achieve the same effect. Seriously LBK, great analogy. I like to be able to laugh while I'm "working".

:monkey:

unstoppable said:
Not in an LS but I HAVE found power in using a colder than stock plug, and heres why.
Whether or not you know it the car is close to running into the knock sensors, even with good gas it happens.And when that happens the computer retards the timing as to not hurt the engine.So switching to a colder heat range plug keeps you off the knock sensor and doesnt make the computer retard the timing.
I have personally seen as much as 8-10 HP by switching from a new set of autolite 764s to a colder motorcraft plug.

In one of my dads dodge work trucks he refused to run good gas in it and it detonated like crazy even at part throttle.I switched to a colder plug and the detonation was gone.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

I have always wanted to put colder plugs in my Chrysler, and they always tell me there aren't any colder ones that will fit. The factory service manual calls for Champion J12Y and I want the modern equivalent of J10Y, which was the '60s designation for the appropriate plug. Champion has replaced them both with the modern designation RJ12YC.

Do you know what is one step colder than that? It's for a 383 (Chrysler big block, not a weenie little stroked Chevy).

Dutch said:
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

I have always wanted to put colder plugs in my Chrysler, and they always tell me there aren't any colder ones that will fit. The factory service manual calls for Champion J12Y and I want the modern equivalent of J10Y, which was the '60s designation for the appropriate plug. Champion has replaced them both with the modern designation RJ12YC.

Do you know what is one step colder than that? It's for a 383 (Chrysler big block, not a weenie little stroked Chevy).

I found this in a quick search.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sparkplugs.html

Looks like stock is an Autolite AR74 one step colder is AR 73 and two steps is AR72

OOH here you go.
http://www.autolite.com/tech/RacingCrossRef.pdf

Quik, just as a side note, you guys may want to look at this for the blower project too... this might get you a little head room. We did that to my cousin's 91 gt running 10 psi out of an Autorotor screw compressor with excellent results.

I am to please.... Sometimes the obvious eludes me.. but when I get it.. I put what I think in "LBK_LS" terms.. so that I understand it after I read it.

LBK_LS said:
I am to please.... Sometimes the obvious eludes me.. but when I get it.. I put what I think in "LBK_LS" terms.. so that I understand it after I read it.

Huh?

LBK_LS said:
You're going to have to slow down and explain for us slow people. :N

Okay.. I'm half Polish and half German, so I'm all pissed off, but I don't know why...

I still don't understand what Lbk Ls said...

I do understand what the colder plugs do... It's kinda cheating, but I'm over it.

kleetus said:
Okay.. I'm half Polish and half German, so I'm all pissed off, but I don't know why...

I still don't understand what Lbk Ls said...

I do understand what the colder plugs do... It's kinda cheating, but I'm over it.

it is an X-File. Nice laugh in the morning. I just tried to read it again... uhhh this time it made even less sense. LBK if you are out there, and I think you are...way way out there j/k, can you break that last post down into chucnks for us.

What is funny is that his post has crasted moer traffic than any others in this thread. Well top of the morning to you all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back