Anyone Ever Feel A Shudder when driving

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have noticed I don't know what else to call it but a shudder in the power train,tranny, when at highway speeds. It comes and goes. :eek2: :feedback

at first glance, sounds like transmission ----

Its not uncommon........ My strong recommendation - is that you first - have your transmission fluid flushed and Mercon V put in --- then add a full bottle of Lucas transmission additive. (can get at any auto parts store)

Give it a few days and see if the problem goes away. If it does - then read on:

What I do is this.

Change tranny fluid, add lucas ---
10,000 miles later I add another bottle of lucas ---
10,000 miles later I Change tranny fluid, add lucas again ---

Just continue on that cycle ---

If you dont already have a transmission oil cooler, then add one ---

This will help extend the life of your transmission as long as possible. You should undertake what I have suggested even if your not having troubles.

Joeychgo said:
at first glance, sounds like transmission ----

Its not uncommon........ My strong recommendation - is that you first - have your transmission fluid flushed and Mercon V put in --- then add a full bottle of Lucas transmission additive. (can get at any auto parts store)

Give it a few days and see if the problem goes away. If it does - then read on:

What I do is this.

Change tranny fluid, add lucas ---
10,000 miles later I add another bottle of lucas ---
10,000 miles later I Change tranny fluid, add lucas again ---

Just continue on that cycle ---

If you dont already have a transmission oil cooler, then add one ---

This will help extend the life of your transmission as long as possible. You should undertake what I have suggested even if your not having troubles.

Thanks Joey,that is what I thought also. I have 90,000 miles now on a '98 MarkVIII. Original tyranny fluid!

oh WAY bad - gotta change that fluid every 20k

Do as I suggested - and I bet the problem is gone in a week.

He said its at highway speeds though which would make me believe that the car is in final gear and the TC is locked up and than I would have to say the vibration could be coming from the driveshaft. Could be a number of things. Need more info. I have a similar problem but its because the wheel bearings are bad (at any speed).

:eek2: I had AAmco trans look at it and they refused to change the tyranny fluid said it would cause more harm than good. There was what he called porcupining on the magnet and the filter was stopped up. Looked like a lot of metal to me but it could be normal for 93,000 miles. He quoted me around $2,000 out the door to overhaul. Dealer wants to change the Assembly? for $3,300! So anyone have any ideas? Does this amount of wear sound like I am imminently going to have a complete tyranny failure? They also put back in the old tranny fluid, said new fluid would cause more problems??
:feedback

Last edited:
Here's my $.02

Very good advise not to change the fluid. High mileage trannies with new fluid usually die in the 1st 1000 miles due to the new fluid being too slippery and the clutches go almost immediately.

2nd. You can buy a take out trans for under $1000 that will only have a few hundred/thousand miles on it.

3rd. You can buy a fully decked out race trans for around $1600 (converter extra) that will handle 600 rwhp. This is basically a rebuilt trans with good performance parts.

It sounds like your torque converter is going due to the shudder and the metal filings are never a good thing.

Run it till it dies and then put in a rebuilt, (not stock rebuild) or take out.

I don't know if a shift kit would help or even a chip to increase the line pressure to extend whatever life is left. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited:
I can tell you if you have a 'porcupine' looking magnet and metallic looking particles in the fluid(esp. enough to clog the filter)... it's too late to worry about changing the fluid. Changing the fluid will never fix a mechanical problem. This is the only set of circumstances I agree with the old wives tale to not change fluid on a hi-mileage tranny.

A properly operating transmission will not have any particulates in the fluid. A well maintained transmission will never accumulate sludge or varnish. When I pulled the pan on my '93 for the first time, I was amazed how clean everything was. Thankfully, a sign of good prior maintenance.

Regardless, a transmission fluid cooler is a very wise investment. Not having one is what keeps places like Aamco open. It won't save your plight, but may buy you time.

Good luck.

driller said:
I can tell you if you have a 'porcupine' looking magnet and metallic looking particles in the fluid(esp. enough to clog the filter)... it's too late to worry about changing the fluid. Changing the fluid will never fix a mechanical problem. This is the only set of circumstances I agree with the old wives tale to not change fluid on a hi-mileage tranny.

A properly operating transmission will not have any particulates in the fluid. A well maintained transmission will never accumulate sludge or varnish. When I pulled the pan on my '93 for the first time, I was amazed how clean everything was. Thankfully, a sign of good prior maintenance.

Regardless, a transmission fluid cooler is a very wise investment. Not having one is what keeps places like Aamco open. It won't save your plight, but may buy you time.

Good luck.
:I
o and when you do the swap make sure EVERYTHING is flushed out or you will go to square 1 pretty quick.

turn_on68 said:
I had AAmco trans look at it and they refused to change the tyranny fluid said it would cause more harm than good. There was what he called porcupining on the magnet and the filter was stopped up. Looked like a lot of metal to me but it could be normal for 93,000 miles. He quoted me around $2,000 out the door to overhaul. Dealer wants to change the Assembly? for $3,300! So anyone have any ideas? Does this amount of wear sound like I am imminently going to have a complete tyranny failure? They also put back in the old tranny fluid, said new fluid would cause more problems??
First - dont EVER go back to AAMCO - I have never heard a good word about them but alot of bad words.

Yes - it sounds like your tranny is going to fail, soon. The lack of changing fluid in the past is the most likely reason. If your tranny is that bad then no, dont change the fluid, but you can add some lucas transmission treatment. That'll help a little.

Start looking for a good tranny shop - and drive it like a baby - no spinning tires, gentle accelleration, etc. Plan for youe new tranny and have a cooler installed when you get the tranny done. Learn a lesson here - changing your tranny fluid probably would have given you another 30k life on it.

Markviiiedrea said:
all i can say i hope your luck is better than mine

-Eric

Eric....after talkin to you, I doubt ANYONE could have that bad a luck......at least not again......I hope you get everything straightened out.

What I would do, is look around either on ebay or local salvage yards (or any salvage yard you can find) and try to find another tranny....and being that you are in Texas (seems to be ALOT of Marks down there) you should not have too much of a problem. After finding one, have a 'reputable' tranny shop (NOT AAMCO....they have to be the worst chain out there) go thru the tranny and do a rebuild, and maybe even put in a shift kit (Baumann Engineering kit is the best.....unless you try the JMOD).

That is what I would do....hope that helps......cause it sounds like your current tranny is toast. Also, like Joey said, tranny fluid should be changed out like every 20,000 miles.....or you will end up in the same boat you are in now......

MonsterMark said:
Here's my $.02

Very good advise not to change the fluid. High mileage trannies with new fluid usually die in the 1st 1000 miles due to the new fluid being too slippery and the clutches go almost immediately.

2nd. You can buy a take out trans for under $1000 that will only have a few hundred/thousand miles on it.

3rd. You can buy a fully decked out race trans for around $1600 (converter extra) that will handle 600 rwhp. This is basically a rebuilt trans with good performance parts.

It sounds like your torque converter is going due to the shudder and the metal filings are never a good thing.

Run it till it dies and then put in a rebuilt, (not stock rebuild) or take out.

I don't know if a shift kit would help or even a chip to increase the line pressure to extend whatever life is left. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Listen to this man, cost me a tranny

what is it 70,000 or 75,000 after thoses miles your not suppose to change the tranny if it has never been changed but you never now you might be a lucky one to have it changed for the 1st time at 100,000,

I had it cahnged and new fluid and Lucas added and it seems to be fine. I have a local shop I found and he re builds and put in a shift kit and new torque converter for $1650 out the door. He takes care of the Dealers rebuilds and the City of New Braunfels.

turn_on68 said:
I had it changed and new fluid and Lucas added and it seems to be fine.The filter had like a black residue all over it. I have a local shop I found and he re builds and puts in a shift kit and new torque converter for $1650 out the door. He takes care of the Dealers rebuilds and the City of New Braunfels. He also said because AAMCO put my old fluid back in I needed to have it changed. They use a collection unit that used the pressure off my Tranny to pump out the fluid via the radiator tranny lines,not high powered,I saw exactly 13 quarts come out. They used Mercon V and put my bottle of Lucas in it. So hopefully I can get to January before it completely fails. It seems fine right now.

Well I have been back an forth to work which is at 70 mph to 75 mph for a one way of 45 miles and no more shudder which always was happening on the way home. So maybe I can make it until next year and I will have some more money to spend to get this overhauled. Thanks for all the replies. :dancefool

I'd be dancing too. Sounds like you just had a date with the devil and didn't lose your viginity. Congrats. Hope my 1000 mile curse doesn't come back to haunt you.

MonsterMark said:
I'd be dancing too. Sounds like you just had a date with the devil and didn't lose your viginity. Congrats. Hope my 1000 mile curse doesn't come back to haunt you.
Yes I do too! Only time and mileage will tell!!!!
:dancefool

Trans Fluid Chage

I did a complete flush from Ford and filled with Mercron V when I first got my car. I noticed the same shudder that you mention. After the flush I never noticed the problem again - and this was 40k miles ago. I think I read somehwhere that the shudder is a breakdown of the fluid. Maybe your fluid was breaking down because it was old and you were lucky enough to avoid severe damage.

-Brent :wrench

Great News.

I'll wait a month to see how things turn out for you and then do mine and add the JMOD at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back