Any tips on replacing a wheel stud?

Dan Ro

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I will be replacing a front wheel stud tomorrow. Has anyone done this and have tips or know more then I do on getting to it? What all will I be removing to get at it and stuff.

The tire.. That's it.. Look on the back as you have to line it up with a hole.. This will allow you to keep hitting it until it comes out.. IIRC, the hole is toward the front of the car..

If the wheel is stuck on the car because of the stud, jack it up and get behind it. Take a small disk cutter and cut the stud from behind. The rest of the directions are above.

Weird - I just had to replace a broken wheel stud on my rear passenger side.... Came out of work one day and noticed a lug nut missing - and half the stud! Never had this happen to me before...

That being said, it was a pretty easy fix. And the hole to line up with was toward the front of the car (at least on the rear wheel)

I have replaced 25 - no lie - I have kept track.

On the front wheels - you line the stud up with the hole in the top vertical link of the spindle mount (so basically 12 o'clock). and hammer it out from the front. then put the new on in from behind and tap it into place, then draw it in by tightening it down.

part number - 6W4Z-1107-AA

Dorman part number 610-484. It only comes up for Gen1, but works across the board. There is something to be said for still being able to put hands on a catalog and not having to rely on an automated computer system to flip through pages and find similar applications!

everybody check the state of your studs!

one of my wheels has fallen off while driving (slowly thankfully) and I've heard of it happening to other LS's

I think it might be due to water getting in behind the lugs perhaps?

everybody check the state of your studs!

one of my wheels has fallen off while driving (slowly thankfully) and I've heard of it happening to other LS's

I think it might be due to water getting in behind the lugs perhaps?

If the wheel completely feel off it is probably from not having the lug nuts torqued properly.

Members online

Back