Any LS with 8000k HIDs installed.

eL eS said:
check out the 2005 LS. :)

That is an expensive upgrade that offers little ROI. Not likely to find it here.

Ya OEM HIDs are great, i am specifically curious about 8000K bulbs though. I was told that the 05 Headlights use 4300k bulbs.

i was just kidding around. I would be weary of 8000k systems look at where the overwhelming majority of the industry is at... 4300 to 45000. Being a betting man I bet the MTBF of the 8000 systems is very short.

For the money you would drop on them I would spend it on HP improvements or cabin accys such as flat panel and nav systems.

I have a 2003 premium sport v8 with factory HID's if you want a pic. I'm going on a road trip first one in the car this weekend so I will try to get a good pic from inside and outside if you want.?

Styles said:
I have a 2003 premium sport v8 with factory HID's if you want a pic. I'm going on a road trip first one in the car this weekend so I will try to get a good pic from inside and outside if you want.?

That would be cool, but still i wanted to see specifically 8000k bulbs which burn a deep blue color. But pics are always nice.

Styles said:
After reading this you might change your mind!!! :slam I know now for sure I will not buy anything over 6000K in color

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html#quickover

I have done lots of research in the past few days,too much infact, i am going to get a 41000k bulb and i am going to mount them in Audi projectors. The color that you see is actually light bending at the cutoff of the beam around the razor sharp cutoff-sheild inside the projector, then the lens widens the color bands to be seen in a bigger array.

If i do the retrofit properly, i should get a 3x visibility output aswell as the blue/violet color that you see on the audi. The audi's lens has one of the most colorful spectrums, right next to another projected made by Valeo.

whatsupadrian said:
I have done lots of research in the past few days,too much infact, i am going to get a 41000k bulb and i am going to mount them in Audi projectors. The color that you see is actually light bending at the cutoff of the beam around the razor sharp cutoff-sheild inside the projector, then the lens widens the color bands to be seen in a bigger array.

If i do the retrofit properly, i should get a 3x visibility output aswell as the blue/violet color that you see on the audi. The audi's lens has one of the most colorful spectrums, right next to another projected made by Valeo.

I read some place on the forum that LS light housing was a pain in the #$% to get into, or are you going to swap out the entire unit?

Only on 2003 and newer. The 2000-2002 come apart easily with a little heat.

SurfjaxLS said:
Thats correct. I plan on getting them apart and then getting some projectors from another car or place. Then use my dremel and cut some material off the back and mount them in and so some fabrications... I picked up 4 angel eye rings for 20 bucks from pepboys with LEDs already mounted inside the rings and i will see how they work, i put a 9 volt battery to one set of rings to see how they lit up and they look nice. As soon as i pick up a set of headlights i will install the angel eyes first and then post some pics then after i save up a few hundred dollers i will get the projectors and get to work on those. i am learning as i go along so we'll see what happens.

the only thing i have concern about at this moment is how long the leds will last in those angel eyes...

Here are some pics of the kit. I bought two kits, Each kit comes with two Rings. Kits were $10 each. They were made for BMW 3 and 5 series cars but it looks like they will be perfect for the LS. The kit that is lit up is being powered by a 9 volt. They should be even brighter with the 19volts from the car battery.

aekit1.jpg

aekit2.jpg

whatsupadrian said:
Thats correct. I plan on getting them apart and then getting some projectors from another car or place. Then use my dremel and cut some material off the back and mount them in and so some fabrications... I picked up 4 angel eye rings for 20 bucks from pepboys with LEDs already mounted inside the rings and i will see how they work, i put a 9 volt battery to one set of rings to see how they lit up and they look nice. As soon as i pick up a set of headlights i will install the angel eyes first and then post some pics then after i save up a few hundred dollers i will get the projectors and get to work on those. i am learning as i go along so we'll see what happens.

the only thing i have concern about at this moment is how long the leds will last in those angel eyes...

are they LED or CCFL?

well LEDs do not do well under continuously hot conditions. They thermally degenerate but iirc the MTBF, Mean Time Before Failure, is over 20k+ hours in temps under 100 degrees.

Anybody attempt to open up a 2003 HID unit yet? And if so pics of the process? Or has anybody tried the oven trick yet?

Styles said:
Anybody attempt to open up a 2003 HID unit yet? And if so pics of the process? Or has anybody tried the oven trick yet?

I have taken them apart but it wasn't pretty. Heat doesn't even touch the glue/sealant that is used. You can see my pictures here:

2003 Headlamps Apart

SurfjaxLS said:

not all - remember Ford issued a TSB to repair foggy headlamps - so any unit that was repaired, or late in 2002 may already use the same 'black' sealant that is used on the 03+ - and heat does not get them apart.... :(

after replacing my LED halos for the thrid time - I went CCFL...

much brighter - can't even compare to LEDs....

CCFLs.JPG

Quik LS said:
not all - remember Ford issued a TSB to repair foggy headlamps - so any unit that was repaired, or late in 2002 may already use the same 'black' sealant that is used on the 03+ - and heat does not get them apart.... :(

hmmm Black you say??? I wonder if they are using windshield cocking ? If so my brother is a Glazer, I will ask him the best way to get that stuff off...

Styles said:
hmmm Black you say??? I wonder if they are using windshield cocking ? If so my brother is a Glazer, I will ask him the best way to get that stuff off...

The problem you'll run into is that the glue/sealant is on the inside of the headlamp so it's not accessible with chemicals or tools. If you look at the photo on the one thread I had to use something to pry the headlight apart.

GrayGhost1 said:
I have taken them apart but it wasn't pretty. Heat doesn't even touch the glue/sealant that is used. You can see my pictures here:

2003 Headlamps Apart

GrayGhost you think you could come up with a set of 2003 HID units for me and if so what would be the price without bulbs? I would rather take the new ones apart and mod them, rather than screwing up the orginals just in case I $#@^ up.

Styles said:
GrayGhost you think you could come up with a set of 2003 HID units for me and if so what would be the price without bulbs? I would rather take the new ones apart and mod them, rather than screwing up the orginals just in case I $#@^ up.

Actually, you can find them eBay from time to time. I bought one set off of eBay to play around with for about $70. Check there first.

GrayGhost1 said:
Actually, you can find them eBay from time to time. I bought one set off of eBay to play around with for about $70. Check there first.

you would need Ballasts and Ignitors to use with your stock halogen wiring.
Some ballasts have ignitors built in and some actually plug directly into the stock 9006 plug. Hella gen 3 ballasts have a 9006 connector on them aswell as the ignitors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back