Any good info on our engines?

Jim Henderson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I would like to know a lot more about the mechanicals of our engines.

Are there any good references or websites that go into detail on the V8 engine in the LS? I have not heard of any goo dshop manuals or even Chiltons/haynes for this car.

For example, I know it is a joint development of Ford and Jaguar, so where is it made? What are the mechanical details? Parts commonality? etc.

My old chebby with the LT1 engine had tons of documentation available, but then what small block chebby doesn't.

Thanks,

Jim H.

Jim Henderson said:
For example, I know it is a joint development of Ford and Jaguar, so where is it made? What are the mechanical details? Parts commonality? etc.

Only the block is shared with Jag - everything else is different.

LS

Displacement - 3.9L V-8

Years - 2000-04

Bore - 3.3858

Stoke - 3.346

Bore Spacing - 3.858

Main Journal Dia. - 2.4409

Rod Journal Dia. - 2.2047

Con Rod Length (Mean) - 5.115

Crank Shaft Center Line to Deck - 8.88

Compression Distance Piston Pin to Top of Piston - 1.211

hmm.... i thought that the chasis is shared with the s-type. cause i went to a jag dealer few years back, i had some laughs with the sales rep, i told him that the LS has the same chasis as the s-type, and he agreed with me on that and said "sir you know your cars" im like of course i do, its all ford anyway i said... he started laughing...lol

is does - the DEW98 chassis if shared. the first post asked only about the engine.

Here's a good article on the LS/Jag sharing (a little dated):

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA86948.html

19f1876c.gif

KEY:
Purple - different components
Blue - common components
Yellow - common elements tuned differently and/or having some different parts.

One program aim was to develop common S-Type/LS components to save cost and be ‘transparent’ to the driver. Unique features give each car its own characteristics.

Chassis is shared with the S Type, The Thunderbird, and possibly others in some form or another. Ford REALLY wanted to use it on the new Mustang, but due to the inability to use a 32V 4.6 and 5.4 in the chassis, that idea had to be shelved. As good as the new Mustang is, just imagine it on this chassis....

2001LS8Sport said:
Chassis is shared with the S Type, The Thunderbird, and possibly others in some form or another. Ford REALLY wanted to use it on the new Mustang, but due to the inability to use a 32V 4.6 and 5.4 in the chassis, that idea had to be shelved. As good as the new Mustang is, just imagine it on this chassis....

plus - a convertible mustang is a must, and while the T-Bird is the convertible LS the engineers were surprised but how much stiffness the DEW98 chassis lost when they cut the top off. They had to do a lot of extra work to attempt to re-stiffen the T-Bird.

It really came down to cost - the LS was supposedly the most expensive program Ford ever undertook at the time - and they could not get a mustang built DEW98 platform into the target cost range.

Members online

No members online now.
Back